WR Coach Hired [Kevin Beard from FIU]

Because you already know everything with your experience...knowing how coaching football works I forgot

No, because ive already laid out what i believe to be the positives and negatives of Coach Beard. The only thing that will sway my opinion now is performance on the field. If you need to continue conversations like this to pump your ego or something than have at it.

Reactions: 1 person

Excellent teaching. Only one of our returning receivers uses this sort of hand deception effectively right now.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss4icfxXPd8[/youtube]

Watch the teaching video, then watch Jenning's break against Tabor. Clearly Coach Z was teaching these concepts effectively as well.

Last edited:
I dont have much faith in the coaching staff as a whole and hiring a wr coach with very little experince does nothing to change that. I wish him well and im sure we will bring some positive energy and such. I would think the players will respond well to a former player turned coach. I also think, being a relatively young African American coach helps, not only on the field, but off the field, as he can relate to the players easily.

But at the end of the day the only thing that keeps all these guys around is winning at a high level and i have little faith that or current staff will get us to that leve, and Coach Beard does little to move that peg for me.

Where did i say any of that?

Uhhhh, do you have really short term memory?

Reactions: 8 people
All the offensive hires have Scott's hands all over them, so he'll live or die by the quality of these hires. Beard sounds like a good hire, but I think there's definitely more of a "wait-and-see" factor with the offensive coaches than the defensive coaches (who are more proven).

Wells is the one who I'm a bit concerned about. He didn't exactly have a lot of success at USF, and Taggart fired him. On paper, Mahoney has a better track record, but the O-line really underperformed last season (and probably 3.5 out of 4 seasons that Mahoney was here). Some of it wasn't Mahoney's fault (Dooley left little talent behind), but we shouldn't still have been having such huge issues in Year 4. I'm just not sure that Wells is an upgrade, but we'll see.

He was OC at USF. We didn't hire him based on that. How he fit in during his season as a QC seems to have more bearing. A guy that has coached OL for over 20 years is not a lark hire IMO. He obviously had a ton of good references.

Reactions: 4 people
I will be honest, I am not that familiar with Beard. I hope he does a great job. I really do hope all these staff changes equates to a much better football team this year. Go Big Orange!

GFW, I found this in another thread

Sorrentino also added as offensive QC coach

Former Jaguars assistant

Tony Sorrentino - Assistant wr coach for Jaguars last year
Offensive Quality Control for Jags in 2013-15

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I don't know much about his coaching ability. But, I have been told by my sources that he did stay in a Holiday Inn Express before interviewing for the job.....

Does anyone know anything about another NFL guy being hired to a quality control or similar position today

Man. Look what you've done to us GFW. Went and got yourself a college degree and moved on. You were our trusty source for the inside info.

GFW, I found this in another thread

Sorrentino also added as offensive QC coach

Former Jaguars assistant

Tony Sorrentino - Assistant wr coach for Jaguars last year
Offensive Quality Control for Jags in 2013-15

If he has been hired, then he has not posted anything on his Twitter account about it.
He was grad assistant at UM (Miami) in 20111-12

Last edited:
Just wonder why he would leave FSU to come to UT. Would seem to recruit for a home state school easier than us. Are we paying more? Not to be negative, just wondering.

When I see WR's looking back for the ball, and catching it outside their bodies, going up high to get it and holding on, then I will think this is a good hire. Otherwise, I have no idea.

VN Store

Back