Lady Vols Recruiting Info

The school up North was accused of that a number of times in the late 90's by more than just Tennessee. Stanford and Tara were targeted by them and a number of other schools consistently and that is coming from 3 former Stanford players that I have worked with.

I assume you are talking about UConn being the "school up north"...yes, Geno did throw those lines around when Pat was coaching. However, now, I haven't heard UConn associated with what I'm referencing.

Just didn't want to start a rumor of them doing that now. Feel free to discuss what happened years ago, but at least from what I have heard, they aren't throwing that around now.

I assume you are talking about UConn being the "school up north"...yes, Geno did throw those lines around when Pat was coaching. However, now, I haven't heard UConn associated with what I'm referencing.

Just didn't want to start a rumor of them doing that now. Feel free to discuss what happened years ago, but at least from what I have heard, they aren't throwing that around now.

How confident are you that we land 4 or 5 commits this class? You seem to have the most knowledge

If we get guards that are smaller than 5'10" I hope they have a good pull-up game. I get tired of watching little dribble drive guards drive the lane into the trees and put up circus shots.

Trust me I know, The AAU circuit is ruthless when it comes to coaches selling their players to the highest bidder. Just had a conversation with someone on Twitter trying to convince Evans that now that she got UT's visit out her system that she needs to come home where she belong (Louisville) and I had to remind the individual that they signed 2 Guards in 2015 (Durr and Cole who transferred to Georgia), 2 guards in 16, they already have a verball from Lindsay Duvall in the 2017 class and are interested in Carter, and they also have a verbal from a 2018 prospect as well as Nyah Green (the Number 2 prospect in the 2019 class). I told him (with her linked in the tweet) that if she really wants to play and have a chance to win it all it will be at UT. Waltz signs so many players that he will be facing a lot of transfers in the near future imo

I agree about the number of guards!!! I guess she thinks she is going to take Arica Carters spot!!! Maybe she should talk to Taja Cole! Or call Carter and see where she is going? Waltz is full this year and only three seniors leaving with two commits verbal already. Waltz could run someone else off if they both want to come!😰

I agree about the number of guards!!! I guess she thinks she is going to take Arica Carters spot!!! Maybe she should talk to Taja Cole! Or call Carter and see where she is going? Waltz is full this year and only three seniors leaving with two commits verbal already. Waltz could run someone else off if they both want to come!😰

Which is crazy, offering these girls only until something better comes along smdh

A LOT OF TALENT and I say this without any rudeness, but what a waste of talent if a NC isn't brought home.

Would it? It's not like we are the only team in the country loaded with talent. If we come up short is would be disappointing sure, but I'd bet all our SEC championships will be enough to keep the mass suicides from happening. lol.

Would it? It's not like we are the only team in the country loaded with talent. If we come up short is would be disappointing sure, but I'd bet all our SEC championships will be enough to keep the mass suicides from happening. lol.

Sure other teams have some great players, but what other team is as loaded as South Carolina?

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know if she is or not. But Dawn Staley is an African-American woman who can relate to a lot of black young women. No disrespect intended, but look at the top 100 players ranked by these recruiting services websites. I would say almost every player is black. Dawn also has been successful on every level, a recent Final Four appearance, has led the nation in attendance the last few seasons plus she's an Olympian. She has a lot she can sell to recruits and their parents. So if negative darts are being thrown her way, she can sustain. Holly and staff will just have to endure with some sort of strategic plan to assure recruits and there parents to not believe the lies and attacks and that they will be in good hands if they choose to attend the University of Tennessee.

Does coach holly dance?

https://t.co/cQCrg167e3

I don't believe we're being hurt by negative recruiting. UT has hurt itself with bad basketball. Top prospects want to play with title contenders, and we've not shown ourselves to be a title contender for a long time. That's the issue. The negative recruiting line of thought is bogus, IMO--I don't believe that our recruiting as anything to do with that. As for Staley, she's got a lot going for her--but it's also true that neither she nor South Carolina have ever won anything. They can't hold a candle to UT in terms of program prestige and pedigree.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree with what the earlier poster said about Dawn Staley. Many of the top prospects are African American and Staley, as an African American woman, has a pull once given to Stringer and more recently Pokey Chatman. I would bet money that LSU would have a title if Chatman had stayed the coach. Staley is in that seat now and has stockpiled a lot of talent at SC. She doesn't have a thick resume but it took a few trips to the final four for Pat to get her title.

Reactions: 2 people
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Baylor
Texas
And UConn, for posterity's sake

Idk i see it differently, those teams are talented but South Carolina is loaded at every position... UCONN is reloading, Baylor and Notre Dame may be close seconds... but holistically USC talent wise is superior but to each is own

Idk i see it differently, those teams are talented but South Carolina is loaded at every position... UCONN is reloading, Baylor and Notre Dame may be close seconds... but holistically USC talent wise is superior but to each is own

Ohio State is probably the closest.

Sierra Calhoun
Kelsey Mitchell (on par with Asja Jones as a POY candidate)
Linnae Harper
Shayla Cooper
Stephanie Mavunga (on par with Kaela Davis as an exceptional transfer)

Plus, they have an excellent incoming class with Caretti and McCoy as capable reserves.

As for Staley, she's got a lot going for her--but it's also true that neither she nor South Carolina have ever won anything. They can't hold a candle to UT in terms of program prestige and pedigree.

You're an intelligent man Armchair but be careful with your words, & don't let your emotions get in the way of your logic. She's a million dollar coach. Every great program had to start somewhere, & in their beginnings there were some growing pains. She doesn't need the "prestige & pedigree" of UT to get these young kids to sign. She only needs to tie their dream in with a plan. A plan of winning. There's no need to undermine UT to do that. & as a previous poster stated, she's the same race as many of these recruits. That's relativity & counts for more than many think. How many African-American coaches do we have nowadays, men or women, that are competing for anything of relevancy these days?

Think about it. Dawn is the recipient of some good fortune these days. With that said UT WILL BE fine! You all will land your big fish soon & all will be right with the world again.

P.S. - I grew up a UT women's bball fan before I knew a damn thing about basketball.

Nobody wants to delve into the subject but here's what a recruit's mother told me a few years ago. The coaches go after the parent/parents with the line that if your girl goes to X school she will get turned out. The kids don't pay much attention but it is aimed at the parents. UT has had that used against them by some big time folks starting with up North.

only the stupidest of parents would not throw a recruiter out of their home for saying something so stupid. first off, their daughter has been called gay probably since 8th grade for being a jock. Secondly, a coach can't make a player turn gay, and there is no evidence of a active player at UT coming out in college. Third, those us of who know, know Pat was considered gay by most, and there is quite a bit of history to it being true, so what? I am sure in some homes such slander might get you a cookie, but now days most parents would just as soon go to social media with such a racist, sexist comment. Thirdly, can you imagine a parent trying to tell their daughter, who gay, bi, straight, whatever, you can't go their because of them having gays or whatever, like oh geez mom, Like I have not had that thrown at me since 8th grade, there are boys there right? You know mary so and so, yeah her and the point guard are gay, and that aau coach, yep she is too, and the male assistant has a husband, welcome to 2016 mom!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Ohio State is probably the closest.

Sierra Calhoun
Kelsey Mitchell (on par with Asja Jones as a POY candidate)
Linnae Harper
Shayla Cooper
Stephanie Mavunga (on par with Kaela Davis as an exceptional transfer)

Plus, they have an excellent incoming class with Caretti and McCoy as capable reserves.
Aja' Wilson?

Jade Williams is moving her visit to October 15. Was supposed to visit this weekend.

Looks like only Hayes and McKinney are on officials this weekend.

Reactions: 2 people
A LOT OF TALENT and I say this without any rudeness, but what a waste of talent if a NC isn't brought home.

I suppose "waste" would be a relative term in this situation. Those players have done exactly what they were meant to do for Dawn, staff, & The University of South Carolina.... put them on the map, make other kids want to play there, and help SCar climb to the top of the SEC.

Now even if they don't win a Natty they still got a free education and likely most of next years starting 5 will get a shot to go Pro at some point somewhere, whether that be the WNBA or elsewhere.

However when you think about it the same could be said about Tennessee... and when you really really really think about... if Tennessee or South Carolina don't win a National Championship in the next 2 years the SEC will have produced I believe the first 2 number 1 players in WCBB (Mercedes Russell & A'ja Wilson) to not win a NC after playing 4 years in oh say... idk maybe 15 years?

I'm pretty sure every #1 coming out of high school since 2000 has left college with atleast 1 ring... It may even go back farther than that.

VN Store

Back