ESPN: How Hurd can win Heisman...

Hurd is a beast but he generally runs like a bull in a china shop who to date has shown very little to no running instincts in space.

Surely this is hyperbole, no? Some of Hurd's best highlights have been on screen passes where he made multiple guys miss in space. USCe in 2014? A lot of RBs don't get the first down where he did, let alone a TD. The one against UGA this year where he truck sticked the DB to finish it off? He pretty much manufactured those yards on his own, the blocking wasn't good there at all. Against UK? He was like Pacman zig-zagging around UK's entire defense. Against Bama at the end of the first half he broke a tackle at the second level and ripped off a big gain on a third and long that allowed us to get points at the end of the quarter when the coaches had obviously planned to punt and take it to half beforehand. He had a 12-14 yard run against Florida on a sweep where most RBs would have been dead to rights for a two yard loss. Hurd made two defenders miss in the backfield and finished his run to move the chains.

Hurd hasn't shown the top end speed to break away from defenses and finish runs that Chubb, Fournette, and Henry have shown. But to say he's shown little to no instincts for running in space is inaccurate. I think you're confusing his lack of elite top end speed for a lack of running instincts. He could follow his blocks better at times, but some of his best runs to date have been making multiple guys miss in space.

Reactions: 1 person
True about Chubb and Bammer last year BUT he got the bulk of his yards against Bammer 3s and 4s. He was a very ordinary RB against Bammers 1st teamers the game was out of reach when Richt left him in to pile up yards. You have some sort of thing for Chubb, I remain unconvinced about him, time will tell. Fournette he is the real deal but his staff in Baton Rouge does not help him the way Richt did at UGA for Chubb.

I've seen the kid run, I've seen him play. He's an elite talent IMO. He runs with power, has excellent lateral movement, is explosive, has great speed/homerun ability. I can't figure why in the world anybody wouldn't see it as well, but I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

He split carries as a freshman with Todd Gurley and put up 1500+ yards and 14 tds.....ran behind the same line Gurley did and averaged 7.1 ypc to Gurley's 7.4. Then came back last year and was averaging 8.1 ypc with no QB/passing game threat whatsoever. He was 1st team all-SEC and the SEC freshman of the year in 2014, and if he returns healthy, is 100%, he'll be 1st All-SEC along with Fournette again. Been watching SEC football since 1974, I've seen a lot of great SEC running backs, and I believe the kid is a great SEC running back. I'm just commenting on what I believe I see.

The guy split carries and missed what 3 games his freshman year behind an absolutely terrible o line and had 900+ yards as a freshman in the sec. Then his sophomore year in comes the number 1 juco running back in the nation he has to split carries with. I'm looking forward to seeing him behind an experienced o line this year. I have a feeling we will start seeing some longer runs if the line can get some good second level blocking. Watch his film he is always getting hit at the line and hardly ever has any wide open holes to hit a second gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely this is hyperbole, no? Some of Hurd's best highlights have been on screen passes where he made multiple guys miss in space. USCe in 2014? A lot of RBs don't get the first down where he did, let alone a TD. The one against UGA this year where he truck sticked the DB to finish it off? He pretty much manufactured those yards on his own, the blocking wasn't good there at all. Against UK? He was like Pacman zig-zagging around UK's entire defense. Against Bama at the end of the first half he broke a tackle at the second level and ripped off a big gain on a third and long that allowed us to get points at the end of the quarter when the coaches had obviously planned to punt and take it to half beforehand. He had a 12-14 yard run against Florida on a sweep where most RBs would have been dead to rights for a two yard loss. Hurd made two defenders miss in the backfield and finished his run to move the chains.

Hurd hasn't shown the top end speed to break away from defenses and finish runs that Chubb, Fournette, and Henry have shown. But to say he's shown little to no instincts for running in space is inaccurate. I think you're confusing his lack of elite top end speed for a lack of running instincts. He could follow his blocks better at times, but some of his best runs to date have been making multiple guys miss in space.

Sorry Darth, disagree. You point to a few plays, particularly screens vs Utah State, SCar, and Kentucky, where he did in fact make a guy miss, show good cutting ability. However, they've been very few and far between.

I've seen way more runs where he gets to the second level and either seeks out contact or gets tripped up/tackled by the first defender to get to him. No hyperbole. His run out of the I vs Northwestern immediately comes to mind....ran through a cavernous hole, looked he he was gonna run for days, got dropped like a bag of dirt after 6 yards by the first guy he encountered, think it was a safety. There are many others, especially when he's running laterally, and others when he's broken through the initial line of scrimmage only to be tripped up after a short gain.

Both he and Coach G are on record this Spring/offseason saying Jalen must get better running in the open field, making players miss and creating big, homerun/splash plays. It's his biggest weakness and why he doesn't get mentioned in the same breath like guys who are dynamic in the open field. It's also a big part of the reason why he averages only 4.6 ypc....he doesn't have an occasional 50-75 yard run to mix in with the 1 and 2 yard runs and the runs for no gain.

He doesn't yet have a 50 yard run in his career after nearly 500 carries.....and there's a reason for it.

Last edited:
True about Chubb and Bammer last year BUT he got the bulk of his yards against Bammer 3s and 4s. He was a very ordinary RB against Bammers 1st teamers the game was out of reach when Richt left him in to pile up yards. You have some sort of thing for Chubb, I remain unconvinced about him, time will tell. Fournette he is the real deal but his staff in Baton Rouge does not help him the way Richt did at UGA for Chubb.

I'm not going to try and "convince" you of anything but are we really trying to downplay a guy that through his first 311 carries (before being injured) has averaged 7.4ypc? Though only starting 8 games he, as a Fr mind you, racked up 1547 yards.

I don't know how to think of the guy as anything other than elite up to this point. (we don't know about how well he recovers from his injury though)

The guy split carries and missed what 3 games his freshman year behind an absolutely terrible o line and had 900+ yards as a freshman in the sec. Then his sophomore year in comes the number 1 juco running back in the nation he has to split carries with. I'm looking forward to seeing him behind an experienced o line this year. I have a feeling we will start seeing some longer runs if the line can get some good second level blocking. Watch his film he is always getting hit at the line and hardly ever has any wide open holes to hit a second gear.

He didn't technically miss any games as a freshman. Started vs UTC, only got 2-3 carries and was pulled to get rest for the remainder of the season because he wasn't needed. Started vs Vandy but played only in the first quarter after being pulled due taking a helmet to the jaw and showing concussion-like symptoms. Played all 13 games, got nearly 200 carries splitting time with Lane.

I agree that the OL God-awful in 2014, yet, he did have creases and running lanes that he was able to get through and into the second virtually untouched. Recall the Oklahoma and Georgia games, they immediately come to mind.

Last year's OL was obviously much better, we set a school record for most rushing yards in a season after all. Jalen was a stud at getting tough, hard-earned yards, and occasionally popped a 15-25 yard run. Yet, at the end of the day, only averaged 4.6 ypc.....and after nearly 500 career carries, still doesn't have a 50 yard run at Tennessee.

He's a great back, I'm very happy as a fan that he plays for my team. And, IMHO, it's also not unfair or disrespectful in any way to just point out a weakness in his game that both he and his position coach have acknowledged.

I do hope you're right though, that all aspects of our running game improves, our OLs blocking abilities and Jalen's open field running skills, and we see him rip off multiple long TD runs.

"Also, I need to put up better numbers. The guys who are in the Heisman talk, their numbers are ridiculous." - Hurd

Very true. In conference play Hurd averaged just 4.37 yards per carry. He had the 4th-most rushing attempts in SEC play but was 14th in ypc among RBs w/ at least 50 carries (Kamara was 3rd at 5.87,) and he had fewer rushing TDs (5) than Dobbs (7).

One area in which I'd like to see Hurd improve is getting stopped for no or negative yardage. Against FBS opponents last year, 53 of his 266 carries (20%) went for 0 or negative yards.

And while Hurd was 12th nationally in rushing attempts last year (277), he was 15th in carries that went for 10+ yards (43), 44th for 20+ yards (tied with Dobbs with 10), and 71st for 30+ yards (4).

I love Hurd as an overall RB but based on his numbers to date (and Kamara's presence), I don't think his play has warranted Heisman talk...at least not yet.

FWIW, only two RBs have won the Heisman in the past 10 years, both from Alabama:
* Mark Ingram, 2009: 1,678 yards (6.1 ypc) & 17 TDs rushing
* Derrick Henry, 2015: 2,219 yards (5.6 ypc) & 28 TDs rushing

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
"Also, I need to put up better numbers. The guys who are in the Heisman talk, their numbers are ridiculous." - Hurd

Very true. In conference play Hurd averaged just 4.37 yards per carry. He had the 4th-most rushing attempts in SEC play but was 14th in ypc among RBs w/ at least 50 carries (Kamara was 3rd at 5.87 ypc,) and he had fewer rushing TDs (5) than Dobbs (7).

One area in which I'd like to see Hurd improve is getting stopped for no or negative yardage. Against FBS opponents last year, 53 of his 266 carries (20%) went for 0 or negative yards.

And while Hurd was 12th nationally in rushing attempts last year (277), he was 15th in carries that went for 10+ yards (43), 44th @ 20+ yards (tied with Dobbs with 10), and 71st @ 30+ yards (4).

I love Hurd as an overall RB but based on his numbers to date (and Kamara's presence), I don't think his play has warranted Heisman talk...at least not yet.

FWIW, only two RBs have won the Heisman in the past 10 years, both from Alabama:
* Mark Ingram, 2009: 1,678 yards (6.1 ypc) & 17 TDs rushing
* Derrick Henry, 2015: 2,219 yards (5.6 ypc) & 28 TDs rushing

Well done. It's just a matter of empirical fact. Jalen is a beast and our offense doesn't work nearly as well without him. But breaking off long, explosive runs just ain't his thing. I'm surprised as anybody that it's not, but it's just not.

Sorry Darth, disagree. You point to a few plays, particularly screens vs Utah State, SCar, and Kentucky, where he did in fact make a guy miss, show good cutting ability. However, they've been very few and far between.

I've seen way more runs where he gets to the second level and either seeks out contact or gets tripped up/tackled by the first defender to get to him. No hyperbole.

Both he and Coach G are on record this Spring/offseason saying Jalen must get better running in the open field, making players miss and creating big, homerun/splash plays. It's his biggest weakness and why he doesn't get mentioned in the same breath like guys who are dynamic in the open field. It's also a big part of the reason why he averages only 4.6 ypc....he doesn't have an occasional 50-75 yard run to mix in with the 1 and 2 yard runs and the runs for no gain.

He doesn't yet have a 50 yard run in his career after nearly 500 carries.....and there's a reason for it.
I also pointed to plays against UF, UGA, and Bama where he played well in space, but you conveniently disregarded those. You're equating the second level of a defense with space. Hurd has shown plenty of ability and instinct in space. He hasn't shown the top end speed to break off a home run once he hits the second level. There's some overlap between those, but they aren't exactly the same.

You say there's a reason he doesn't have a 50 yard run to his name yet...it's his lack of top end speed. You're putting your head in the stand if you're sticking to your statement that he's shown "very little to no running instincts in space." There's a lot more space on the football field that just the second level of a defense. Just because a RB doesn't have to top end speed to break off 50-60 yard runs doesn't mean he doesn't play well in space.

I know you don't like considering differing opinions very much, but c'mon man. You've gotta admit that's a hyperbolic statement. If he'd truly shown "little to no running instincts in space," then he'd have been riding the bench instead of getting the lion's share of carries thus far in his career. ESPN wouldn't be writing articles about him having an outside shot at a Heisman. You're letting your dislike of D4H cloud your judgment on Hurd here. He hasn't shown himself capable of producing like the two most elite RBs in the SEC. No one's arguing that. But you seem to be holding that against him as if that means he isn't still a great RB.

I also pointed to plays against UF, UGA, and Bama where he played well in space, but you conveniently disregarded those. You're equating the second level of a defense with space. Hurd has shown plenty of ability and instinct in space. He hasn't shown the top end speed to break off a home run once he hits the second level. There's some overlap between those, but they aren't exactly the same.

You say there's a reason he doesn't have a 50 yard run to his name yet...it's his lack of top end speed. You're putting your head in the stand if you're sticking to your statement that he's shown "very little to no running instincts in space." There's a lot more space on the football field that just the second level of a defense. Just because a RB doesn't have to top end speed to break off 50-60 yard runs doesn't mean he doesn't play well in space.

I know you don't like considering differing opinions very much, but c'mon man. You've gotta admit that's a hyperbolic statement. If he'd truly shown "little to no running instincts in space," then he'd have been riding the bench instead of getting the lion's share of carries thus far in his career. ESPN wouldn't be writing articles about him having an outside shot at a Heisman. You're letting your dislike of D4H cloud your judgment on Hurd here. He hasn't shown himself capable of producing like the two most elite RBs in the SEC. No one's arguing that. But you seem to be holding that against him as if that means he isn't still a great RB.

I got no problem with differing opinions if they're well thought out and backed up with some proof. You've made your case well...there are plays you've pointed to to make your argument. I can respect that.

However, I feel like I know what I've seen for two full seasons from Jalen. And he ain't a slow, trudging running back incapable of outrunning a linebacker or safety. He's a big, physical guy with excellent speed for a man his size. I saw video of him being laser timed at 4.37 as a 215 lb highschool Junior iirc. I don't think he now runs a sub 4.4 but he sure as hell isnt a 4.7 guy either. He has plenty of speed to have a handful of 50 yard runs under his belt at this point in his career. We just disagree on the reason(s) why he doesn't. For every play you can point to (4 or 5 to date) that substantiates your argument, there are many more that validate mine IMO. Let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
ESPN needs to go interview the Georgia defender who took Jalen Hurd on in the open field. That Georgia defenders teeth are still being found on Shields-Watkins to this day!! How dare they question Jalen's effort on the field!! Talk is so cheap. Run his tape from the past two years. What about the stiff arm from hell to the Northwesten Defender?? I guess that wasn't maximum effort either??? Shaking my Dam Head at ESPN for adding that to the article.

Agreed, Jalen's "lack of effort" weeks were when he was injured. He was still giving everything he had.

I think Hurd agrees.

‎@MrHurd_1
"I have no issue with the media. I have an issue with someone misinterpreting me and misinforming the nation on who I really am."

No, perhaps you haven't seen anybody like Jalen before due to your relative youth and inexperience, but many of us have. I saw both Chuck Muncie and Eddie George. That's who Jalen essentially is in the NFL IMHO. I once thought Hurd would be much more than George because I thought he'd prove to be a much more explosive runner hitting a hole and I thought he'd prove to be more athletic once he got to the second level. To date, I've been proven wrong, therefore, IMO, he's essentially Eddie George 2.0 until further notice.

As for the comparison between Martin and Chubb, I don't think it's necessarily a bad one, although I think looks faster and more athletic. He looks like a more fluid athlete IMO. But as far as NFL production, Martin has shown to be a 1400 yard per year runner when healthy....I can definitely see Chubb putting up those type numbers assuming he comes back 100% off the knee injury.

Finally, just don't understand you dude. How can you in one post say definitively that Hurd would gain more yards that LF if he ran behind his OL....and then turn around the next post and call him a true superstar and compare him to perhaps the most gifted professional athlete who's ever walked the earth?

I love Hurd, am thrilled he's a Vol, and believe he'll leave Tennessee a legend not far from the rarefied air that Manning and Wilson and Majors and White now occupy. But no one right can or should hold the opinion, IMHO, that Hurd is better than Fournette given what we've seen so far....absolutely no one.

Hurd has way better acceleration, initial burst, and agility than Eddie George. I would've agreed with you on the Eddie George comparison a few weeks ago. Then I saw a replay of the 1999 playoff game against Buffalo on NFL Network. All that nostalgia about Eddie went away. The guy is not in the same stratasphere as Hurd when it comes to acceleration through the hole and agility. Hurd is worlds better.

And on the Fournette stuff. Game recognize game. The kids special. But we may have an even more special back in Knoxville.

Appreciate what you got before it goes.

Last edited:
I've seen the kid run, I've seen him play. He's an elite talent IMO. He runs with power, has excellent lateral movement, is explosive, has great speed/homerun ability. I can't figure why in the world anybody wouldn't see it as well, but I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

He split carries as a freshman with Todd Gurley and put up 1500+ yards and 14 tds.....ran behind the same line Gurley did and averaged 7.1 ypc to Gurley's 7.4. Then came back last year and was averaging 8.1 ypc with no QB/passing game threat whatsoever. He was 1st team all-SEC and the SEC freshman of the year in 2014, and if he returns healthy, is 100%, he'll be 1st All-SEC along with Fournette again. Been watching SEC football since 1974, I've seen a lot of great SEC running backs, and I believe the kid is a great SEC running back. I'm just commenting on what I believe I see.

Chubb is a great kid but he's Doug Martin at a time when the next Bo Jackson and the Calvin Johnson of RBs is about to come out. And I haven't even gotten to Dalvin Cook, Royce Freeman and Elijah Hood. RBs I have rated higher than Chubb.

2017 NFL draft RB rankings:

1a. Leonard Fournette
1b. Jalen Hurd
3. Dalvin Cook
4. Royce Freeman
5. Elijah Hood
6. Nick Chubb

He didn't technically miss any games as a freshman. Started vs UTC, only got 2-3 carries and was pulled to get rest for the remainder of the season because he wasn't needed. Started vs Vandy but played only in the first quarter after being pulled due taking a helmet to the jaw and showing concussion-like symptoms. Played all 13 games, got nearly 200 carries splitting time with Lane.

I agree that the OL God-awful in 2014, yet, he did have creases and running lanes that he was able to get through and into the second virtually untouched. Recall the Oklahoma and Georgia games, they immediately come to mind.

Last year's OL was obviously much better, we set a school record for most rushing yards in a season after all. Jalen was a stud at getting tough, hard-earned yards, and occasionally popped a 15-25 yard run. Yet, at the end of the day, only averaged 4.6 ypc.....and after nearly 500 career carries, still doesn't have a 50 yard run at Tennessee.

He's a great back, I'm very happy as a fan that he plays for my team. And, IMHO, it's also not unfair or disrespectful in any way to just point out a weakness in his game that both he and his position coach have acknowledged.

I do hope you're right though, that all aspects of our running game improves, our OLs blocking abilities and Jalen's open field running skills, and we see him rip off multiple long TD runs.

How many 50 yard runs are there in the NFL?

The Finebaum show ran an interesting stat yesterday. Against unranked teams Hurd averages like 97 yards rushing on 4.6 ypc. Against ranked teams he averages 102 yards rushing on 4.7 ypc.

Remarkable consistency.

And it demonstrates why he's the safest RB prospect when it comes to translating to the NFL. He gets you those 4-5 yards a rush. He's consistent. He's not gonna do like Nick Chubb against Alabama. Lose yards every play then break one long run at the end when the game is over.

He's a battering ram that'll get those tough physical yards that define the NFL.

The Finebaum show ran an interesting stat yesterday. Against unranked teams Hurd averages like 97 yards rushing on 4.6 ypc. Against ranked teams he averages 102 yards rushing on 4.7 ypc.

Remarkable consistency.

And it demonstrates why he's the safest RB prospect when it comes to translating to the NFL.

If 4.7 was a really good number, or even a pretty good number, the fact that Hurd has been consistent against ranked and unranked teams might be meaningful. But it's not really a good number by any stretch. His yards per carry ranks him 108th among qualifying rushers.

Last edited:
He gets you those 4-5 yards a rush. He's consistent. He's not gonna do like Nick Chubb against Alabama. Lose yards every play then break one long run at the end when the game is over.

Not really. Against FBS opponents, Hurd rushed for:
* 1 yard or less 30.4% of the time
* 2-3 yards 27.4% """
* 4-6 yards 15.0% """
* 7+ yards 27.1% """

FWIW, Chubb lost 5 yards on his lone reception against Alabama but he had no negative-yardage runs.

Looking at Chubb vs. Hurd, consider this: Chubb has 21 TDs on 311 carries while Hurd has scored 17 times on 467 carries. And looking at runs of 20+ yards, Chubb has achieved that mark at 3x the rate of Hurd (26 to 13).

NFL scouts love measurables like size & speed but they also pay attention to actual production, and that's another reason that Chubb (and 6-8 other RBs) are consistently rated higher than Hurd as draft prospects:
The Sports Xchange College Football/NFL Draft Scout Rankings, From Prep to Pro Coverage by the Sports Xchange
WalterFootball.com: 2017 NFL Draft: Running Back Rankings

Hurd has way better acceleration, initial burst, and agility than Eddie George. I would've agreed with you on the Eddie George comparison a few weeks ago. Then I saw a replay of the 1999 playoff game against Buffalo on NFL Network. All that nostalgia about Eddie went away. The guy is not in the same stratasphere as Hurd when it comes to acceleration through the hole and agility. Hurd is worlds better.

And on the Fournette stuff. Game recognize game. The kids special. But we may have an even more special back in Knoxville.

Appreciate what you got before it goes.

I made the same argument about Jalen before I saw him play a down at UT. People were constantly comparing him primarily to George because of his size. I says "no, Hurd is faster, more explosive, a better, more sudden athlete". But honestly, I've seen little to allow me to hold that same opinion two years later. I think Jalen runs harder than Eddie did and delivers more blows and punishment to the defense, but the other stuff? No. And before you accuse me of hating on Jalen, please recall that George won a Heisman in college and racked up 10,000+ yds rushing in the NFL, so making thst comparison is no slight to Jalen.

As far LF and "game recognize game"....lol. Am I reading this right? Are you saying that it "takes one to know one"? Are you saying you're as much a stud athlete and player as LF? Surely to God no. If I'm misinterpreting, my apologies. If not, I'm rolling on the floor.

Finally, I greatly appreciate Hurd, just like I greatly appreciate Dobbs....both are great players, great Vols, both will have their names in the Vol record books and their pictures on the walls of the training center. But both also have a significant weakness in their game which keeps them from reaching elite status IMO. You seem to want to be all or nothing. Nobody, no player is perfect and without things/aspects of their game that need improvement. Michael Jordan was the greatest basketball I've ever seen, but he was no Steph Curry behind the arc, to say the least. Great, the best ever....but still with a "hole" in his game that could've been improved. Obviously, I'm putting neither Hurd nor Dobbs on Jordan's level....however, the idea still holds up IMO.

I made the same argument about Jalen before I saw him play a down at UT. People were constantly comparing him primarily to George because of his size. I says "no, Hurd is faster, more explosive, a better, more sudden athlete". But honestly, I've seen little to allow me to hold that same opinion two years later. I think Jalen runs harder than Eddie did and delivers more blows and punishment to the defense, but the other stuff? No. And before you accuse me of hating on Jalen, please recall that George won a Heisman in college and racked up 10,000+ yds rushing in the NFL, so making thst comparison is no slight to Jalen.

As far LF and "game recognize game"....lol. Am I reading this right? Are you saying that it "takes one to know one"? Are you saying you're as much a stud athlete and player as LF? Surely to God no. If I'm misinterpreting, my apologies. If not, I'm rolling on the floor.

Finally, I greatly appreciate Hurd, just like I greatly appreciate Dobbs....both are great players, great Vols, both will have their names in the Vol record books and their pictures on the walls of the training center. But both also have a significant weakness in their game which keeps them from reaching elite status IMO. You seem to want to be all or nothing. Nobody, no player is perfect and without things/aspects of their game that need improvement. Michael Jordan was the greatest basketball I've ever seen, but he was no Steph Curry behind the arc, to say the least. Great, the best ever....but still with a "hole" in his game that could've been improved. Obviously, I'm putting neither Hurd nor Dobbs on Jordan's level....however, the idea still holds up IMO.

Different games but the same talent. I'm otherworldly myself.

Remarkable consistency.

And it demonstrates why he's the safest RB prospect when it comes to translating to the NFL. He gets you those 4-5 yards a rush. He's consistent. He's not gonna do like Nick Chubb against Alabama. Lose yards every play then break one long run at the end when the game is over.

He's a battering ram that'll get those tough physical yards that define the NFL.

Not nearly as many as there are in college....and if you can't rip off even one in college, what does that say about your playmaking prospects in the NFL?

Are you really trying to tell me that you think Chubb, while averaging 7+ yards for his career so far, only either busts 50 yard runs or "lose yards every play"?? Come on man, stop being ridiculous. At least do some research, or, even better, just read Kamoshika's data about Hurd and Chubb. Hell, I even broke down Hurd's average runs last year, every single one of them. Don't have the stats in front of me since I'm at work, but it was roughly 50% of all Hurd's carries last year resulted in 0 to 3 yards, or lost yardage.

No, perhaps you haven't seen anybody like Jalen before due to your relative youth and inexperience, but many of us have. I saw both Chuck Muncie and Eddie George. That's who Jalen essentially is in the NFL IMHO. I once thought Hurd would be much more than George because I thought he'd prove to be a much more explosive runner hitting a hole and I thought he'd prove to be more athletic once he got to the second level. To date, I've been proven wrong, therefore, IMO, he's essentially Eddie George 2.0 until further notice.

As for the comparison between Martin and Chubb, I don't think it's necessarily a bad one, although I think looks faster and more athletic. He looks like a more fluid athlete IMO. But as far as NFL production, Martin has shown to be a 1400 yard per year runner when healthy....I can definitely see Chubb putting up those type numbers assuming he comes back 100% off the knee injury.

Finally, just don't understand you dude. How can you in one post say definitively that Hurd would gain more yards that LF if he ran behind his OL....and then turn around the next post and call him a true superstar and compare him to perhaps the most gifted professional athlete who's ever walked the earth?

I love Hurd, am thrilled he's a Vol, and believe he'll leave Tennessee a legend not far from the rarefied air that Manning and Wilson and Majors and White now occupy. But no one right can or should hold the opinion, IMHO, that Hurd is better than Fournette given what we've seen so far....absolutely no one.

Probably the best comparison to date, or, John Riggins.

KB take his 83 yard run against the Bammer 3s/4s down and he was a very average SEC back which was why Richt kept him in that blow out to pad his stats. Overall, he had a 20/146 day for the 8.3 ypc. Take down that 83 yard run against the Bammer scrubs when the game was out of reach he was 19/63 for a 3.2 ypc. Comparatively Hurd saw the Bammer 1s/2s all day during 2015 and was 16/60 for 3.7 ypc. Outperforming Chubb against a common opponent who had their best out there the whole time. Look Chubb is a good back, but he ain't what all you push him to be IMO. He may turn out that way but so far he's not that way once you remove the smoke and mirrors Richt and UGA was pushing for him. Michel was listed on the depth chart ahead of him behind Gurley for a reason.

Remarkable consistency.

With regards to your statement that "(Hurd) gets you those 4-5 yards a rush.....he's not gonna do like Nick Chubb against Alabama. Lose yards EVERY PLAY then break one long run at the end when the game is over."

Here are the play-by-play carries for each vs Bama last year....

Hurd-
- 2 carries for no gain
- 3 carries for 1 yard
- 6 carries for 2 yards
- 1 carry for 3 yards
- 1 carry for 5 yards
- 1 carry for 7 yards
- 1 carry for 11 yards
- 1 carry for 12 yards
- 1 carry for 18 yards
- 1 carry for 29 yards
TOTAL- 19 carries, 82 yards

Chubb-
- 3 carries for no gain
- 3 carries for 1 yard
- 3 carries for 2 yards
- 4 carries for 3 yards
- 1 carry for 4 yards
- 3 carries for 5 yards
- 1 carry for 7 yards
- 1 carry for 16 yards
- 1 carry for 83 yards
TOTAL- 20 carries, 146 yards

So, neither had a carry for lost yardage. And, if you take away each player's longest run of the game, Chubb's 83 yarder and Hurd's 29 yarder, they both had 63 yards, Hurd on 18 carries, Chubb on 19 carries.....absolutely no difference. Guess what the actual difference was?......Chubb had the ability to bust an 83 yarder as his long run, and Hurd only 29 for his.

VN Store

Back