Do we have too many laws or too many criminals?

Its both, but it doesnt help that our prison systems aren't doing their jobs. Prison should be for rehabilitation while also providing crime deterrence. It is not achieving either of the two.

Disagree. Prison is judicial punishment. If an adult is in prison it is likely too late. Easier to train up children than to fix adults.

Keep in mind that will the current prison population the crime rate is little affected. There are more criminals out of jail than in.
I work with urban youth and it is systemic.

latest

In just under the end of the year wire, I nominate Mr. Percy for the " best response to a stupid post of the year". MP, we ever meet, beer is on me!

Reactions: 2 people
How Private Prisons Game the Immigration System | The Nation

Great look into the privatized prison system we have in the land of the free. If some of you wonder why we will never actually see immigration reform look no further. These guys were members of the Republican party right here in our very state. Now they make millions off of locking up illegal immigrants and lobby our reps to ensure that it continues.

Is this the type of helpful lobbying some of you defend and describe?
How in the world could they ever decide on important issues without these very helpful lobbyists.

"Three years after the company's first contract in 1983, according to Southern Changes magazine, the company spent some $100,000 lobbying the state of Tennessee to secure a correctional facility privatization bill, which helped propel the business to financial success."

Last edited:
Prison should be a place where people do not want to return. We have too many "country club" prisons and prisons with living conditions better than the prisoner was accustomed.

Reactions: 1 person
Prison should be a place where people do not want to return. We have too many "country club" prisons and prisons with living conditions better than the prisoner was accustomed.

Not really. recidivism is more tied with prison gangs that dictate what they do in and out of prison.

How Private Prisons Game the Immigration System | The Nation

Great look into the privatized prison system we have in the land of the free. If some of you wonder why we will never actually see immigration reform look no further. These guys were members of the Republican party right here in our very state. Now they make millions off of locking up illegal immigrants and lobby our reps to ensure that it continues.

Is this the type of helpful lobbying some of you defend and describe?
How in the world could they ever decide on important issues without these very helpful lobbyists.

"Three years after the company's first contract in 1983, according to Southern Changes magazine, the company spent some $100,000 lobbying the state of Tennessee to secure a correctional facility privatization bill, which helped propel the business to financial success."

I doubt you will find many folks on VN that will defend lobbyists. What's disturbing is how far you stretched to blame both lobbyists AND R's. Good job.

serious question. We have the largest prison population in the free world (and probably the unfree world also). Is it because we just have an abnormal number of bad people here in the usa or is it because we make so many things in this country illegal and worthy of spending time in jail?

Could this nation stand to have a culling of the laws on the books?

both

People are dying because we are zealously enforcing petty offenses.

When people die because of the enforcement of petty offenses it makes law abiding people like me say "Boy, sure am glad I don't break the law"..

And lets be real..people are just getting "upset" because its an excuse to break sh!t and loot. They know the cops are hamstrung by politicians and public opinion nowadays and will "Give them space to destroy". Hah. The Baltimore mayor should be run out of town for that.

And eliminate half of those.

It still wouldnt have stopped any of these recent folks from getting killed. Unless of course we just start ignoring warrants for child support, battery, etc.

Getting rid of the drug laws is a start but it wont cull the violence and disobedience.

It still wouldnt have stopped any of these recent folks from getting killed. Unless of course we just start ignoring warrants for child support, battery, etc.

Getting rid of the drug laws is a start but it wont cull the violence and disobedience.

It will eliminate a large amount of our prison population. And that's a start.

I still can't understand why open container laws exist.

Can anyone give me a good reason?

That is one of those "protect you from yourself" laws.

But lets be real..what laws are we enforcing that are normal in nature? Murder is normal. Rape is normal. Adultery is normal. Stealing is normal. Cannibalism is normal. Substance abuse is normal. Infanticide is normal. Patricide is normal. Matricide is normal. And by normal I mean found in untainted nature..organic man.

I mean unless these laws are created and enforced to seperate us from behaving like animals..whats the point of them?

It will eliminate a large amount of our prison population. And that's a start.

I still can't understand why open container laws exist.

So would turning them into Soilent Green and jello. We could eliminate the prison overpopulation AND help end starving kids. If you disagree you are obviously pro starving children.

That is one of those "protect you from yourself" laws.

But lets be real..what laws are we enforcing that are normal in nature? Murder is normal. Rape is normal. Adultery is normal. Stealing is normal. Cannibalism is normal. Substance abuse is normal. Infanticide is normal. Patricide is normal. Matricide is normal. And by normal I mean found in untainted nature..organic man.

I mean unless these laws are created and enforced to seperate us from behaving like animals..whats the point of them?

I think the point of them is to create civilization which separates us from animals. Being normal, doesn't mean things should be illegal. Only things that actually cause harm to others should be illegal.

In the words of Ronaldus Magnus:

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."

In the words of Ronaldus Magnus:

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."

“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt.”

Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Reactions: 4 people
Serious question. We have the largest prison population in the free world (and probably the unfree world also). Is it because we just have an abnormal number of bad people here in the USA or is it because we make so many things in this country illegal and worthy of spending time in jail?

Could this nation stand to have a culling of the laws on the books?

Too many criminals, and we need to build more prisons.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back