Do we have too many laws or too many criminals?

I want acts of violence pushed hard to the front of everything. Whatever else happens I want those who would actually, physically harm others to get weeded out first. I'm talking about setting court dates for those types of people while they're still wearing the cuffs from their original arrest. I'm all for due process but the process for those cases gets streamlined, big time. Make it the priority.

There's time for debate about all those other little nettlesome aspects of having a society filled with differing viewpoints. We need to simply be over the violence. For all I care we can empty every prison of every non-violent "criminal" if that's what it takes but we make room for those who would directly harm others. Frankly for those types it could be just bare walls and a toilet too. If life gets too rough they'd be given the option to be offed humanely and have whatever was useful donated to science/organ transplants.

Sorry for the rant. Hopefully Christmas will cheer me up.

Who cares if it rehabs someone people are who they are and if nothing else it's punishment. Although we may have too many laws most of the frivolous ones result in a slap on the wrist. If you're dumb enough to keep doing something and getting caught then see ya.

Moronic answer. Makes no sense and doesn't answer the OP.

And yes, we have too many criminals and WAY too many laws. I personally believe that they aren't as related as one might like to think.

Reactions: 1 person
Laws create criminals. Way too many laws.

And guns kill people.....Way too many guns? Spoons create fat people, cigarettes create smokers, beer creates alcoholics.....another in your long line of "no personal responsibility required" posts.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm going with both but most of the minor stuff gives you a ticket unless you're a habitual offender. Then it's your own damn fault so I lean more toward too many criminals.

Moronic answer. Makes no sense and doesn't answer the OP.

And yes, we have too many criminals and WAY too many laws. I personally believe that they aren't as related as one might like to think.

Moronic reply. What did you answer?

I do not trust China and Russia to truthfully report their incarcerated people. Communists, dictators, etc. will just as soon murder their criminals as jail them.

With that said, we have too many laws AND too many people willing to commit serious offenses against their fellow man.

It's not even just China and Russia though. Our incarceration rates are absurd by any comparitive standard.

It's not even just China and Russia though. Our incarceration rates are absurd by any comparitive standard.

Agreed. Was simply communicating that I have no trust in any of the numbers they self report.

American society is unique in many ways. Which may effect our numbers when compared to other developed nations.

We do have too many laws though.

To Velo's question:

Drug possession and minor selling/redistribution is the number one choice here.

I also believe that incarceration for these offenses results in a prison culture for these inmates making them more likely to be repeat offenders.

A lot of these good men should learn to keep it in their pants and they wouldn't be subject to CS.

Mmmmm. I agree. But, there are some nasty women out there. They abuse the system and the "man" is the one who pays the bill.

Mmmmm. I agree. But, there are some nasty women out there. They abuse the system and the "man" is the one who pays the bill.

Agree but I've seen more guys who put themselves in the position simply because they can't keep it in their pants.

Too many criminals are on the streets terrorizing law-abiding men, women, and children; because the judicial system is too Lenient on them.

More prisons need to be built all across America immediately, because the domestic and imported criminal class grows larger every day.

If the punishment for breaking the laws were more harsh and severe, the number of criminals would drop....

We have the largest prison population in the free world.

Is it because we just have an abnormal number of bad people here in the USA or is it because we make so many things in this country illegal and worthy of spending time in jail?

Could this nation stand to have a culling of the laws on the books?

The real reason is because of the privatization of the prisons that began in the 1980s. Increasingly larger numbers of prisons are being converted from being state-run to being run by private corporations for profit, big-time profit. Private prisons receive a fixed amount of money for each prisoner, and they receive profits from the prison labor that is used to produce products for sale.

Profits are maximized for greater numbers of prisoners. The private contracting of prisoners for work fosters incentives to lock people up. The result? Record numbers of incarcerations. For more info, google "Prison industry" or "Prison industrial complex".

VN Store

Back