Your thoughts on LSU

Yeah but no one knew beforehand that Clemson was not going to do anything. You are talking hindsight after the game. I’m talking about the perspective real-time for the people playing and watching the game. From a reality standpoint you can state the game was over when LSU scored 28 points since Clemson only scored 25.

No sir....It's just obvious that you guys will not and cannot evaluate what I've said earlier in the post....
or even have a clue how to evaluate what is happening on the field!!

Clemson basically stopped blitzing and tried to play 7 or 8 guys in zone in the 2nd QTR...and LSU put up 21 unanswered....
Venables couldn't cover everyone and stop Joe Burrow from running, too!

So...Clem came out and gapped LSU to start the 2nd half...blitzing both inside LBs every time LSU lined up in empty....and it worked for 2 possessions....
But that approach left the middle of the field wide open and left Clem vulnerable to screens--in the middle of the field and on the outside....

Personally--I thought LSU would start running 81 into the middle behind the LBs to stop Venables' approach...or screens to 22...
But it really didn't matter....Clem was exposing their jugular with those blitzes and it was only a matter of time before LSU took advantage.

So, when LSU hit that screen pass that led to a drive to make it 35-25 the route was on....just like the 2nd QTR....

Venables knew that he couldn't cover all of LSU's weapons and stop Burrow, too. So he had NO CHOICE but to sell out in that all or nothing approach---..

Clem doesn't even come close to scoring again until it was 42-25----
That throw to Higgins was a prayer...and a wounded duck....and required Higgins grabbing the DBs Jersey and yanking him away to catch it...
but the officials made the right call....

So once again.....Clem didn't even sniff the end zone once the score went 35-25....

I don't care if you guys like it or not......both of you need to learn that you cannot EVALUATE what's happening on the field by watching the ball....

Reactions: RollerVol
Hard to compare teams in different eras since the game is fluid and changing over time. You have to determine who dominated the most in the era they played in.
It's subjective... but Miami clearly had the superior defense. They played 12 games and held their opponents to 7 points or less, in 8 of them.

No sir....It's just obvious that you guys will not and cannot evaluate what I've said earlier in the post....
or even have a clue how to evaluate what is happening on the field!!

Clemson basically stopped blitzing and tried to play 7 or 8 guys in zone in the 2nd QTR...and LSU put up 21 unanswered....
Venables couldn't cover everyone and stop Joe Burrow from running, too!

So...Clem came out and gapped LSU to start the 2nd half...blitzing both inside LBs every time LSU lined up in empty....and it worked for 2 possessions....
But that approach left the middle of the field wide open and left Clem vulnerable to screens--in the middle of the field and on the outside....

Personally--I thought LSU would start running 81 into the middle behind the LBs to stop Venables' approach...or screens to 22...
But it really didn't matter....Clem was exposing their jugular with those blitzes and it was only a matter of time before LSU took advantage.

So, when LSU hit that screen pass that led to a drive to make it 35-25 the route was on....just like the 2nd QTR....

Venables knew that he couldn't cover all of LSU's weapons and stop Burrow, too. So he had NO CHOICE but to sell out in that all or nothing approach---..

Clem doesn't even come close to scoring again until it was 42-25----
That throw to Higgins was a prayer...and a wounded duck....and required Higgins grabbing the DBs Jersey and yanking him away to catch it...
but the officials made the right call....

So once again.....Clem didn't even sniff the end zone once the score went 35-25....

I don't care if you guys like it or not......both of you need to learn that you cannot EVALUATE what's happening on the field by watching the ball....
It is you who seem to be ignoring things. We do not care about your illogical opinions. The game did not seem out of reach until LSU scored the last touchdown and made it a 3 score game.

Clemson also lost most of their defensive line from last season. Defensively I think Ohio St. would’ve matched up better than them but they still would’ve lost. Nobody was beating LSU this season everything just came together for them a magical QB and a whiz kid OC and Oregon selling his soul to a demon at the crossroads in the off-season for a natty.

Clemson also lost most of their defensive line from last season. Defensively I think Ohio St. would’ve matched up better than them but they still would’ve lost. Nobody was beating LSU this season everything just came together for them a magical QB and a whiz kid OC and Oregon selling his soul to a demon at the crossroads in the off-season for a natty.

Who was the QB that Ohio State picked over Burrow?

Been discussed a little bit, but Mullen gave LSU their best game considering it was at Death Valley. I'm pretty critical of Mullen, but that actually does give me some pause.

LSU football has a very interesting history that I bet a lot of their fans don't know. Kind of like Texas A&M, except LSU has been way more successful than A&M has over the last 15-20 years.

You'd be forgiven if you thought LSU was a historically dominant program, meaning if you thought they won a bunch of stuff in the old days. They actually did not become a year-in, year-out premier program until Saban got there in 2000, and they actually were downright awful for extended periods of time in the 40s/50s and 90s.

I felt DiNardo started that but he fell off pretty hard after first 2 or 3 years. Saban only had 2 of his 5 seasons at 10 wins or better, with year 3 no better than year 1. Miles jacked up that program. 7 of his 11 full seasons were double digit wins. Prior to DiNardo, they only had 3 double digit win seasons in their history. IMO, Saban wouldn't be Saban anywhere else than Bama. In 11 seasons prior to Bama, Saban only had 2 seasons in double digit wins. In 13 seasons at Bama, he has 12 seasons in double digits. He has had only 3 seasons with less than 12 wins, and only 1 less than double digits. Either it took him 11 years to become a good HC, or it doesn't take much to recruit to Bama, and the coaches prior to him save Stallings and Bryant all sucked hind tit.

Been discussed a little bit, but Mullen gave LSU their best game considering it was at Death Valley. I'm pretty critical of Mullen, but that actually does give me some pause.
Dwayne Haskins and yea Mullen is a pretty damn good coach he had Florida in that game at Baton Rouge actually led by 7 in the 3rd quarter

LSU had the best OFFENSE in history this year-----hands down, no doubt.

But--how quickly we forget....

Bama should've beaten them....

Bama left at least 13 points on the field against LSU....
1. Tua just drops the ball in the 1st QTR--at least 3 points there..
2. Tua hits his receiver in the back with the ball that bounces back to the BEATEN defender--who takes it to the house...7 points there...
3. Bama FG kicker misses FG to tie the game....3 points there....at LEAST 13 points right there....

LSU had a magical, perfect storm of a season.....and I'm happy about it to tell the truth....
I was sick of Bama winning everything....

But OBJECTIVELY---BAMA could've and should've beaten LSU....

and Auburn had their chances, too.

That's how championship seasons go and that's why the games are played. By that same token, Arky should have beaten us in '98, thrashing our title hopes.

And, then again, maybe LSU was the first to show that Tua can falter a bit under pressure.

Reactions: MikeVol44

Auburn gave them the best game on October 26th. It was also in Baton Rouge. The game was sloppy with a lot of penalties from both teams, but Auburn was in it until the very end. The final score was 23-20.

Reactions: Paper_Towel
I felt DiNardo started that but he fell off pretty hard after first 2 or 3 years. Saban only had 2 of his 5 seasons at 10 wins or better, with year 3 no better than year 1. Miles jacked up that program. 7 of his 11 full seasons were double digit wins. Prior to DiNardo, they only had 3 double digit win seasons in their history. IMO, Saban wouldn't be Saban anywhere else than Bama. In 11 seasons prior to Bama, Saban only had 2 seasons in double digit wins. In 13 seasons at Bama, he has 12 seasons in double digits. He has had only 3 seasons with less than 12 wins, and only 1 less than double digits. Either it took him 11 years to become a good HC, or it doesn't take much to recruit to Bama, and the coaches prior to him save Stallings and Bryant all sucked hind tit.
Before my time (I was alive but too young to remember), but they appeared to start the 90s decade off on the wrong foot with Curley Hallman. The demographics by that point were really starting to help more SEC/southern schools (like FSU and Florida), but Hallman was awful and DiNardo got off to a good start but faltered as you mentioned.

By 2000, the south really had a lockdown on the best football talent, then they hired Saban, who led them to their first title since '58. That brought them a lot of attention and momentum and further enhanced their lock down of in-state talent, which Miles was able to continue for several years once Saban left. If Alabama had a replacement-level coach over the last 10+ years instead of Saban, LSU might have a couple more national titles in addition to the one in 2007 and the one they just won.

I think that Saban could have been Saban at places other than Alabama - IMO, he could be doing this at LSU, Georgia, Ohio St, and maybe Florida. It's even easier to recruit at LSU or Georgia than it is at Alabama. Hell, Dabo has been on a Saban-like run at "lil ole Clemson" for 5 years now. So I think it could be done at other places.

Auburn gave them the best game on October 26th. It was also in Baton Rouge. The game was sloppy with a lot of penalties from both teams, but Auburn was in it until the very end. The final score was 23-20.

I always forget Auburn, because their season by season outputs are so bi-polar. They were actually good last year.

LSU had the best OFFENSE in history this year-----hands down, no doubt.

But--how quickly we forget....

Bama should've beaten them....

Bama left at least 13 points on the field against LSU....
1. Tua just drops the ball in the 1st QTR--at least 3 points there..
2. Tua hits his receiver in the back with the ball that bounces back to the BEATEN defender--who takes it to the house...7 points there...
3. Bama FG kicker misses FG to tie the game....3 points there....at LEAST 13 points right there....

LSU had a magical, perfect storm of a season.....and I'm happy about it to tell the truth....
I was sick of Bama winning everything....

But OBJECTIVELY---BAMA could've and should've beaten LSU....

and Auburn had their chances, too.
I don’t think the Bama game was as close as you’re thinking. LSU made some crucial mistakes as well, in fact were running away with it in the first half.

I don’t think the Bama game was as close as you’re thinking. LSU made some crucial mistakes as well, in fact we’re running away with it in the first half.

It was very close even into the 4th qtr I recall a 3rd down play where Burrow checked down to the RB 10 yds short of the first down and the kid broke every tackle to get to the mark. If LSU punted there, Alabama could have taken the lead but they didnt get the ball back until LSU had scored. Neither team could stop the other in the 4th qtr.

Clemson's post regular season schedules and SEC record more than speaks for itself. .

You're making the same argument that the Nebraska and Oklahoma goobers were spouting in the sixties. As I said, we've come full circle.

The BCS, and then the Playoff Committee, were supposed to guarantee that you had to EARN the right to play the big game. Anyone can beat anyone in one single game. Any given Sunday, and all that. But earning the right to be there was something else entirely

As I said, now we're back to where started. Play no one, get into the big game, and get the occasional title. Clemson has perfected it. Meanwhile, there are dozens of teams who also would have gone undefeated against that schedule, and therefore 'deserve' it as much as the team that cupcaked their way into the big game (Clemson).

Just like in the sixties.

Injuries can happen any time and in any game, regardless of the level of competition being played.

lmao

So your first argument is that there is no difference in the injury situation of two even teams where one played a cupcake schedule and one played an SEC schedule.

There is no evidence that LSU entered this game any more banged up than Clemson, as a result of playing a tougher schedule...

hahahahahaha

and five weeks certainly is enough time to overcome an injury of a less serious nature.

Are you being purposely obtuse?

I agree LSU clearly had the better team.

Well, that's big of you. Considering your wonderboys got their bottoms spanked.

You're making the same argument that the Nebraska and Oklahoma goobers were spouting in the sixties. As I said, we've come full circle.

The BCS, and then the Playoff Committee, were supposed to guarantee that you had to EARN the right to play the big game. Anyone can beat anyone in one single game. Any given Sunday, and all that. But earning the right to be there was something else entirely

As I said, now we're back to where started. Play no one, get into the big game, and get the occasional title. Clemson has perfected it. Meanwhile, there are dozens of teams who also would have gone undefeated against that schedule, and therefore 'deserve' it as much as the team that cupcaked their way into the big game (Clemson).

Just like in the sixties.

They met the requirements. They won their conference. They won their semi-final. I don't really see OU's conference schedule to be light years tougher than Clemson's. And for OSU to have had a B1G schedule, Clemson spanked them pretty decent.

I don't follow the Big 10 as closely. Didn't Haskins replace the QB who was picked over Burrow?

You are correct. Columbus loved JT Barrett. I was never really impressed with him but they said the team rallied around him and that he was a great leader.,,yadda yadda yadda... but that kind of stuff doesn't win games against superior competition. Urban Meyer was not a fan of Burrow. Told him he threw like a girl

I think LSU in 2020 will finish 12-2 winning the SEC Championship Game even with a new starter at quarterback in Brendan Myles. I think LSU will finish 2020 ranked #4 and lose to 13-0 Clemson in the FCS Playoffs.

I don’t think the Bama game was as close as you’re thinking. LSU made some crucial mistakes as well, in fact were running away with it in the first half.

Well....I remembered some things wrong for sure....it was against Auburn that Bama threw a pic on the goal line....and Bama missed a FG to tie that game with about 2 minutes left.

And don't get me wrong....I'm glad that LSU beat 'em.....but LSU wasn't running away with it in the first half....they had capitalized on some very uncharacteristic Bama turnovers and mistakes....it happens...

Case in point:
1. Bama fumbled away the ball at LSU's 6 yard line without T.u.a. being hit....he just dropped it for no reason... at least 3 points given away right there....LSU goes down and scores a TD...10 point swing...
2. Bama fumbled away the snap on their first punt attempt...3 points to LSU
3. Bama threw an INT with 1 minute left at end of first half to give LSU a TD.....7 points to LSU....

So you have LSU getting 13 points off of Bama's miscues....aight...

But BAMA owned the 3rd QTR....and clawed their way back into the game and closed it to 33-27 early in the fourth QTR....

It was 39-34 with 5 minutes left in the game....and 46-41 with a 1:21 left and an onside kick....

Considering Bama gave away 13 points on mistakes and turnovers--a reasonable case can be made that they should've won that game...

BUT here's why I'm making a big thing about it...

Those MORONIC POLLSTERS dropped both Auburn and Alabama out of the top 10 in the last rankings----WHY????

Auburn beat the PAC-12 champ with a TRUE FR QB playing in his very first game...
Auburn lost by 11 to Florida in the swamp, and by 3 at home to the eventual National Champion....

Same thing with BAMA....they lost 2 games by a total of 8 points--and could've won both---to the eventual NC and their arch-rival at Auburn.

And both teams got dropped in the playoff rankings below OK, 2 loss Oregon, 2 loss Baylor, 3 LOSS WISCONSIN, 2 loss Penn State, and 2 loss Utah.....

And 2 loss Alabama is STILL RANKED BEHIND 2 loss Oklahoma even after LSU beat them by 28 darned points!!!!

WHAT A %$*& JOKE!!

Do any of you guys really think that a 1 or 2 loss VOLS team will get a fair shake in the polls in the future if they're gonna work that hard to rank Alabama so low??

Coach O is a fantastic coach and he's much smarter than perceived. The man can recruit, motivate and teach. He's gonna be a force at LSU for a long time. Saban is gonna gave a tougher time ow because LSU, Auburn, A&M, Ole Miss and Tennessee aren't automatic W's in the future.

Reactions: Remy
Coach O is a fantastic coach and he's much smarter than perceived. The man can recruit, motivate and teach. He's gonna be a force at LSU for a long time. Saban is gonna gave a tougher time ow because LSU, Auburn, A&M, Ole Miss and Tennessee aren't automatic W's in the future.

I agree with you. So many here at VN write off Coach O and much of that is based on how he performed as HC at Ole Miss. I think he learned a lot there as well as other places he's been including with Kiffin on The Hill. I can tell you first hand when Haden fired Kiffin and left him on the tarmac at LAX, he chose Orgeron as interim. Orgeron took that team on his back and they didn't lose another game the rest of that season. The Trojan kids loved him and played for him. He would have loved to have stayed at SC but he just didn't fit the mold Lynn Swann envisioned as SCs new AD. They hired Helton and been mediocre ever since. But Coach O proved to me based on his season as interim at SC that he could be a great HC. He's again proved that at LSU, do not underestimate him.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back