Your thoughts on LSU

I believe LSU caught lightning in a bottle this year. 1) their QB had one of, if not the, greatest seasons in NCAA history. I think part of that is few college coaches could adjust to what Brady was doing inside a week in most cases (both OU and Clemson had holes in their defense) and they had 3 great WRs with a great QB. 2) They benefitted from Tua being hurt vs them. Im no bammer but I think Alabama wins that game if Tua is healthy. They owe Greg Emerson or Bumpas (not sure which) at least a bite of the cake. 3) They've never really got in a game where EdO has to make criticial decisions down the stretch yet but that day will come sometime. I dont think he has a clue how to manage a clock, etc.

They'll be a contender for the SECWest but I still think that road runs thru Tuscalooser.

I believe LSU caught lightning in a bottle this year. 1) their QB had one of, if not the, greatest seasons in NCAA history. I think part of that is few college coaches could adjust to what Brady was doing inside a week in most cases (both OU and Clemson had holes in their defense) and they had 3 great WRs with a great QB. 2) They benefitted from Tua being hurt vs them. Im no bammer but I think Alabama wins that game if Tua is healthy. They owe Greg Emerson or Bumpas (not sure which) at least a bite of the cake. 3) They've never really got in a game where EdO has to make criticial decisions down the stretch yet but that day will come sometime. I dont think he has a clue how to manage a clock, etc.

They'll be a contender for the SECWest but I still think that road runs thru Tuscalooser.

My thoughts are LSU would have had a similar record this year with Brennan at the helm.... potential losses Auburn, Florida and Alabama... max 3 losses... the rest of the games wouldn't have ended much different, meaning... less stats but still victories. Personnel wise I expect LSU to be better next year, although... the video game stats will take a hit.... depends on who declares... expecting Jefferson, Clyde, Delpit, Chaisson... maybe Moss/Stevens?

Wr corp as a whole might actually go up in talent i.e. Boutte and Arik, and Racey comes back as well... I would not sleep on Palmer. The question is whether Moss hangs it up... surprisingly I think Moss will be missed as a blocker more than anything... he is really one of the best blockers I have seen.... very unrated player because he is dominating blocker.

I dont think he has a clue how to manage a clock, etc.

Hm, I think you don't watch the games, Les was always the bad time keeper, the Cookie Monster has them very organized, imo, not sure where that is coming from. From day one that the Cookie Monster took over they have been more organized.

- obviously the video game stats will take hit at QB
- LB corp should be significantly better
- DL will be even
- Secondary could take a hit but more depth
- OL basically only two seniors in their two depth rotation... even more depth...crazy depth at OL
- RBs... Clyde is hard to deal with but Curry, Price and Emery will be good.... Emery is the guy they need to produce, imo
- WR - better than this year, imo

Overall, personnel should be better even if Moss leaves, although Brennan will not put up Burrow numbers... Stevens is really the guy they need to stick.

I think LSU will put up points next year, maybe just not arcade points.

Don't know how sustainable it is. They'll be good for awhile longer but they went 40 years from Dietzel to Saban without having many seasons to celebrate.
LSU football has a very interesting history that I bet a lot of their fans don't know. Kind of like Texas A&M, except LSU has been way more successful than A&M has over the last 15-20 years.

You'd be forgiven if you thought LSU was a historically dominant program, meaning if you thought they won a bunch of stuff in the old days. They actually did not become a year-in, year-out premier program until Saban got there in 2000, and they actually were downright awful for extended periods of time in the 40s/50s and 90s.

Its tied to 2 things IMO.

1. The offensive staff personnel (specifically Brady). Who can they keep and for how long.
2. Gonna be hard to replicate JB's level of play but how close do they get and how often.

Its tied to 2 things IMO.

1. The offensive staff personnel (specifically Brady). Who can they keep and for how long.
2. Gonna be hard to replicate JB's level of play but how close do they get and how often.
Their fans will be totally OK with something like 9-10 wins for the next couple of years. They just won a title and absolutely adore Coach O, who has to be the best fit of all time in terms of a coach at a particular school. They aren't going to freak out like Bammers would if they go a few years without winning a title.

Having said that, they certainly don't expect to fall off a cliff, and at some point within the next years they'll want to be in the title hunt again. Which is not an unfair expectation given their recruiting base and resources.

Reactions: bag12day
Their fans will be totally OK with something like 9-10 wins for the next couple of years. They just won a title and absolutely adore Coach O, who has to be the best fit of all time in terms of a coach at a particular school. They aren't going to freak out like Bammers would if they go a few years without winning a title.

Having said that, they certainly don't expect to fall off a cliff, and at some point within the next years they'll want to be in the title hunt again. Which is not an unfair expectation given their recruiting base and resources.
Yeah. They ll recruit well enough to stay out of the ditch.

The greatest #9's in Louisiana football
83173430_10157889388251100_727492611547332608_o.jpg

LSU has always had excellnt players especially along the lines and at DB, as well as RB. Over the years they just couldn't seem to find a good, consistent QB. Well they definitely found one in JB. It very well could be lightning in a bottle because I don't see them rising to this level again for quite a while. That by no means doesn't mean they aren't going to be able to compete for the West in coming years. Their future games will be more closer and may include a loss or two during the season. I don't think M.Brennan can run their offense as effectively as JB did this year and that's the key, imo.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Well, sure. I doubt their schedule next year is much tougher than this year's. Half the teams in the top twenty could go undefeated against that crap. Unfortunately for most of them, they play in real conferences.

We're basically back to where we were in the sixties. In other words, teams getting into the national championship picture by playing no one and depending on a bunch of bureaucrats and journalists to vote them in.

We've come full circle.

Clemson's post regular season schedules and SEC record more than speaks for itself. Their regular season is not their fault. They have proved themselves over and again in post season play. People won't to knock on them. People need to pay attention.

Clemson >> Played in 4 of last 5 NC games (2015,16,18,19 seasons). Won NC in two of the 4 appearances (2016,18 seasons). 10-6 in post season play under Dabo. Since start of 2012 season Clemson 14-5 against the SEC with those wins against Bama, Auburn, UGA, SC, LSU, aTm. Not to mention the other P5's they've beaten in post season play getting to the NC game. Clemson is no push over just because they are ACC.

My thoughts are LSU would have had a similar record this year with Brennan at the helm.... potential losses Auburn, Florida and Alabama... max 3 losses... the rest of the games wouldn't have ended much different, meaning... less stats but still victories. Personnel wise I expect LSU to be better next year, although... the video game stats will take a hit.... depends on who declares... expecting Jefferson, Clyde, Delpit, Chaisson... maybe Moss/Stevens?

Wr corp as a whole might actually go up in talent i.e. Boutte and Arik, and Racey comes back as well... I would not sleep on Palmer. The question is whether Moss hangs it up... surprisingly I think Moss will be missed as a blocker more than anything... he is really one of the best blockers I have seen.... very unrated player because he is dominating blocker.

Hm, I think you don't watch the games, Les was always the bad time keeper, the Cookie Monster has them very organized, imo, not sure where that is coming from. From day one that the Cookie Monster took over they have been more organized.

- obviously the video game stats will take hit at QB
- LB corp should be significantly better
- DL will be even
- Secondary could take a hit but more depth
- OL basically only two seniors in their two depth rotation... even more depth...crazy depth at OL
- RBs... Clyde is hard to deal with but Curry, Price and Emery will be good.... Emery is the guy they need to produce, imo
- WR - better than this year, imo

Overall, personnel should be better even if Moss leaves, although Brennan will not put up Burrow numbers... Stevens is really the guy they need to stick.

I think LSU will put up points next year, maybe just not arcade points.
I agree with most of what you wrote, except the Brennan part. He has been there 3 yrs and not impressed. But, in all fairness, i was very wrong about Burrow, thinking him a 6 on scale of 10 qb after last year, never imagining he would blow up like he did this year ... so, who knows what lies ahead.

LSU was having their way with Clem's defense at the end of the 2nd QTR....
LSU scored 21 unanswered points to close out the 2nd Qtr...and missed a FG or it would've been 31-17 at halftime.
Venables did nothing in the 2nd QTR to stop LSU.

You can't watch the ball and expect to understand what is happening on the field!

Do you even know why LSU got it rollin' in the 2nd QTR????

Venables started the game in the 1st half by blitzing and filling gaps out of a 3-3-5. ...the exact OPPOSITE approach he used against OSU.

Venables blitzed both inside LBs to start the 2nd half EVERY TIME LSU went EMPTY in the backfield because he had the numbers up the middle between the guard-center gaps on both sides of the ball.

That's the ONLY HOPE he had of stopping LSU's offense...

LSU's OC was slow to adjust to that approach in the 2nd half, but once LSU threw that screen pass out of an empty backfield on their 3rd possession of the 2nd half to stop Clem's all or nothing blitz approach...they scored to make it 35-25 and it was over!
And then LSU started throwing those slants in behind the LBs to make 'em pay for their blitzes....and Venables had NOTHING left in his defensive schemes to answer LSU's adjustments.

So....LSU DOMINATED the 2nd QTR....Clem re-grouped to score 1 TD on their first possession of the 2nd half---and then LSU dominated the entire 2nd half afterward....

You can disagree if you want.....but the game was over with 10 minutes left in the 3rd QTR when it went 35-25....
No, 10 point deficit with 25 minutes remaining is not over in today’s pass happy game. When did LSU score the last touchdown? That is when it was over.
The last touchdown

lol no. You don't fix a season's worth of injuries, accrued throughout a grueling SEC schedule, in five weeks. Stop being ignorant.

As it was, it wasn't enough to help Clemson, who was clearly outmatched.
Injuries can happen any time and in any game, regardless of the level of competition being played. There is no evidence that LSU entered this game any more banged up than Clemson, as a result of playing a tougher schedule... and five weeks certainly is enough time to overcome an injury of a less serious nature. I agree LSU clearly had the better team.

I agree with others who have said this is the best team they have ever seen. I think this was definitely a case of the parts not being anywhere close to as good as the whole. Lightning in a bottle still counts for me. perfect pieces in place, maybe not the best individual pieces but they all came together.

their defense gets overlooked imo. yeah they aren't why they won games. but they were quietly very good. held clemson to the 3rd lowest total. NC (21) and TAMU (24) were the only other ones better. and NC was that sneaky game, LSUs D didn't sneak up on Clemson.

good job 2019 LSU.

I agree with others who have said this is the best team they have ever seen. I think this was definitely a case of the parts not being anywhere close to as good as the whole. Lightning in a bottle still counts for me. perfect pieces in place, maybe not the best individual pieces but they all came together.

their defense gets overlooked imo. yeah they aren't why they won games. but they were quietly very good. held clemson to the 3rd lowest total. NC (21) and TAMU (24) were the only other ones better. and NC was that sneaky game, LSUs D didn't sneak up on Clemson.

good job 2019 LSU.
Maybe those who didn't see Miami in 2001. I can get on board with it being the best offense ever but they are not the most complete team.

No, 10 point deficit with 25 minutes remaining is not over in today’s pass happy game. When did LSU score the last touchdown? That is when it was over.
The last touchdown

You're just wrong.....
Clemson did nothing offensively after LSU scored to make it 35-25....absolutely nothing and NEVER sniffed scoring again....
Go back and watch the replay......

You're just wrong.....
Clemson did nothing offensively after LSU scored to make it 35-25....absolutely nothing and NEVER sniffed scoring again....
Go back and watch the replay......
Yeah but no one knew beforehand that Clemson was not going to do anything. You are talking hindsight after the game. I’m talking about the perspective real-time for the people playing and watching the game. From a reality standpoint you can state the game was over when LSU scored 28 points since Clemson only scored 25.

I agree with others who have said this is the best team they have ever seen.

LSU had the best OFFENSE in history this year-----hands down, no doubt.

But--how quickly we forget....

Bama should've beaten them....

Bama left at least 13 points on the field against LSU....
1. Tua just drops the ball in the 1st QTR--at least 3 points there..
2. Tua hits his receiver in the back with the ball that bounces back to the BEATEN defender--who takes it to the house...7 points there...
3. Bama FG kicker misses FG to tie the game....3 points there....at LEAST 13 points right there....

LSU had a magical, perfect storm of a season.....and I'm happy about it to tell the truth....
I was sick of Bama winning everything....

But OBJECTIVELY---BAMA could've and should've beaten LSU....

and Auburn had their chances, too.

Reactions: wmcovol
Maybe those who didn't see Miami in 2001. I can get on board with it being the best offense ever but they are not the most complete team.

Last night I was thinking "If it were possible to have just one football wish, it would be to see 01 Miami and 19 LSU square off " . Talent wise -per player- Not sure that Miami team will ever be topped. Total team chemistry and production , I think LSU comes out on top.

Last night I was thinking "If it were possible to have just one football wish, it would be to see 01 Miami and 19 LSU square off " . Talent wise -per player- Not sure that Miami team will ever be topped. Total team chemistry and production , I think LSU comes out on top.
Which is it,Miami or LSU ? You state both unless you have a typo.

Different time. Miami didn't have anywhere near as good a QB and they didn't throw the ball all over the field like LSU, but when you have Frank Gore, Clinton Portis and Willis McGahee in the backfield, you don't have to.

Different time. Miami didn't have anywhere near as good a QB and they didn't throw the ball all over the field like LSU, but when you have Frank Gore, Clinton Portis and Willis McGahee in the backfield, you don't have to.
Hard to compare teams in different eras since the game is fluid and changing over time. You have to determine who dominated the most in the era they played in.

VN Store

Back