You Can Change ONE Play

Sorry to double tap, but…

Completely different idea here. How about changing the Worley int vs. SA at the end of the first half.

We go up 31-7 and they fold like a cheap lawn chair. Instead, we give them momentum going into the 2nd half.

Suppose… Worley to Pig for 6 on that play instead of the int. We crush them early in the 2nd half and it's 44-7 with 8:00 left in third. Butch burns a redshirt??? Ferg's perhaps? Dobbs' earlier? Effect on rest of season??

But guaranteed: wholesale substitutions on both sides of the ball. Defense sure could have used the rest for the onslaught that followed.

AV

Sorry to double tap, but…

Completely different idea here. How about changing the Worley int vs. SA at the end of the first half.

We go up 31-7 and they fold like a cheap lawn chair. Instead, we give them momentum going into the 2nd half.

Suppose… Worley to Pig for 6 on that play instead of the int. We crush them early in the 2nd half and it's 44-7 with 8:00 left in third. Butch burns a redshirt??? Ferg's perhaps? Dobbs' earlier? Effect on rest of season??

But guaranteed: wholesale substitutions on both sides of the ball. Defense sure could have used the rest for the onslaught that followed.

AV

I don't think the SA downturn affected our year at all, really. Week after was UGA then a Bye then USC.

Also, Jones wasn't burning a red-shirt unless he absolutely needed to IMO.

Perhaps Saulsberry doesn't get chop-blocked by Oregon and isn't injured? He's healthy through the year and we have a decent 4-man rotation at DT with McCullers, Saulsberry, Hood and O'Brien.

Perhaps Sauls crucial contribution would have been felt against Vandy/UGA in those close games.

Reactions: 2 people
What?
Aladdin grants me three wishes, but I only get to change one play.
That ain't right.

Perhaps Saulsberry doesn't get chop-blocked by Oregon and isn't injured? He's healthy through the year and we have a decent 4-man rotation at DT with McCullers, Saulsberry, Hood and O'Brien.

Perhaps Sauls crucial contribution would have been felt against Vandy/UGA in those close games.

Was a cheap play for sure. Good call.

The opening kickoff of the Georgia game. If they dont get an extra 15 on the taunting penalty they are forced to punt instead if making the 57 yard or however long fg. Then Georgia would have had to score twice at the end of regulation.

If you could change one play in any game this year, which would you choose?

Another play not mentioned so far is the loss of containment when Robinette walked into the EZ for the Vandy win. Whoever blew their assignment on that play lost the season. They could have easily tackled him for a loss.

Pigs plays were effort plays. The fourth and one was the correct call in the Vandy game, but the missed assignment was inexcusable IMO.

Pig not fumbling on the endzone dive vs. Georgia....we would've won the game with that in overtime

Not assured we would have won, but my goodness we would have had all the momentum after really doing the best thing possible on the first possession of OT.

If we had beaten UGA, we're bowling right now, regardless of the Vandy debacle. Both losses hurt badly though, especially after leading so late and giving up last second drives.

Pig's block in the back against Vandy. We win that game without and go bowling.

Except a TD there doesn't really guarantee anything. It is possible - perhaps even likely - that Ga would have also scored.

I'd much rather take one the obviously and directly equates to a win and and bowl. So, I'd go with the fourth down play against Vanderbilt.

I agree, but who's to say that we don't stop UGA or they fail to convert on 4th? I'd rather this play be reversed, because there was sufficient evidence that Pig fumbled, which effectively killed the game. However, in the Vandy game, there wasn't sufficient evidence to warrant giving Vandy the favorable spot. In that scenario, we would have won the game outright. But, I still see your point.

Reactions: 1 person
Lets change it up and one play all time! I say Mose Phillips two point conversion attempt against SC in '92.

The pass to Jordan Matthews in the Vandy game that put them inside the 10 yard line. That ball was completely interceptable and that was probably one of two or three plays all season where Cam Sutton looked like a true freshman.

Disagree. Sutton was supposed to have help over the top from Safety McNeil who, of course, was out of position. Sutton originally passed Matthews off to McNeil but once he saw that McNeil wasn't there, he actually recovered quickly to nearly make a play on that ball. If it wasn't for Sutton, Matthews makes that catch with no one there at all to defend him.

Pig's goal line slippery hands against ga.

Still nothing but love for ya Pig shat happens.

one more thing Pig just in case you guys actually read this board. (not sure why you would)

Like I tell the boys on my sons team when they make mistakes don't think about the last play concentrate on the next one.

Last edited:
Disagree. Sutton was supposed to have help over the top from Safety McNeil who, of course, was out of position. Sutton originally passed Matthews off to McNeil but once he saw that McNeil wasn't there, he actually recovered quickly to nearly make a play on that ball. If it wasn't for Sutton, Matthews makes that catch with no one there at all to defend him.

That's what I seem to recall.

Sutton stuck with Matthews but then released him and sat in his zone. Nobody was coming into his zone and he realized that nobody picked up Matthews.

Unless Sutton got really burned on a fake which I don't remember Matthews doing.

Just call it what it was:

Perfectly playcall to hit your best WR in the gap in zone coverage and UT didn't pick Matthews up. I don't really agree with the zone call either because you have to have had 2 guys on Matthews. The Ole Miss gametape would show Vandy would absolutely go to Matthews with the game on the line.

Neal's touchdown at end of fourth quarter against georgia. would run more clock out and kick a field goal like we did in the next game.

Here's one ...........the extra point UGA kicked to tie the game with 5 seconds left . I would change that play to wide left

VN Store

Back