Xbox One

Picked up Steep and BF1 as gifts for the boys. Target has a free $50 gift card when you buy two of the qualifying games (Steep was one). I'm going to swap the other one I got out for NBA2K17 I think.

Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite, and Bully are backwards compatible now.

Also, Lost Odyssey, from the original creator of Final Fantasy, is free to download. Pick it up if you like old school JRPGs.

I've not played a console for about 6 years since I started playing WoW and then quit that for this really immersive RPG called Marriage.

Thinking about buying a console, is Xbox the consensus? Does it matter if I'm not a diehard 12 hours a day gamer?

I play two hours a night with my buddy. We both have lived, jobs, wives. Two hours is plenty to get some games in.

Got Xbox One for Christmas. Anyone else have issues with games installing and updating? Takes FOREVER.

From disc or download?

Either way, it installs faster when in "sleep mode"

Go to settings, power settings, turn on "always on", select the options that allow the Xbox to keep your games up to date, and then it will only go to sleep when you turn it off. From there, it will update games and the OS by itself and tends to do it faster when it is asleep.

From disc or download?

Either way, it installs faster when in "sleep mode"

Go to settings, power settings, turn on "always on", select the options that allow the Xbox to keep your games up to date, and then it will only go to sleep when you turn it off. From there, it will update games and the OS by itself and tends to do it faster when it is asleep.

Ok. Thanks. It's installing kinda slow but d/ling updates extremely slow.

Do the games get updates very often? These are 8-10 GB updates. Sheesh.

Ok. Thanks. It's installing kinda slow but d/ling updates extremely slow.

Do the games get updates very often? These are 8-10 GB updates. Sheesh.

Games don't often get 8-10 GB updates. Those are usually day 1 patches or DLC sized updates. If you keep it in Always On and check the "keep my apps up to date" option you shouldn't have to worry about them, as they usually update for me when I'm at work or asleep.

What games did you get? My gamer tag is Snape

Games don't often get 8-10 GB updates. Those are usually day 1 patches or DLC sized updates. If you keep it in Always On and check the "keep my apps up to date" option you shouldn't have to worry about them, as they usually update for me when I'm at work or asleep.

What games did you get? My gamer tag is Snape

BF1, Rockband 4, Madden 17

So with changing those settings, even if I turn it off, it will keep downloading my updates?

I have a 500GB hd and with those 3 games it says I've already used 24% of the drive space. Dang. So even though I have hard copies, it still installs full game onto hd?

BF1, Rockband 4, Madden 17

So with changing those settings, even if I turn it off, it will keep downloading my updates?

Yeah, as long as you've got it set right, it stays connected to the internet all of the time and updates for you.

Instant-on

In instant-on power mode, your Xbox One console is up to date and ready to use. In this mode:

Your console automatically downloads updates.
Your console starts up in two seconds.
You can wake the console using a voice command (where available).

Notes

To update your console automatically, you must select the setting to keep your console, games, and apps up to date.

Also, to take updates, your console needs to be turned off. You can set your console to turn off automatically after 1 or 6 hours of inactivity, or simply turn it off when you're not using it.

To change these settings:

Double-tap the Xbox button to open the guide.

Select Settings > All settings.

Select Power mode & startup. Make sure Power mode is set to Instant-on, and:

For automatic updates, select Keep my console, games & apps up to date.

To turn off your console when idle, select an option under Turn off after.

Your console might sound like it's on when downloading and installing updates.

On the original Xbox One console, in instant-on power mode, the console power supply unit (PSU) remains on and the light on the PSU is white. You may also hear the fan in the PSU. (The Xbox One S does not have an external power supply.)

The console uses 15 watts of power while turned off in instant-on mode.

Reactions: 1 person
I have a 500GB hd and with those 3 games it says I've already used 24% of the drive space. Dang. So even though I have hard copies, it still installs full game onto hd?

The new consoles really shouldn't have came with 500 GB hard drives, but at least Xbox allows external hard drives. I have a 5 TB external HD for mine. More than enough room for hundreds of games.

The new consoles really shouldn't have came with 500 GB hard drives, but at least Xbox allows external hard drives. I have a 5 TB external HD for mine. More than enough room for hundreds of games.

I appreciate all the info you are providing. Have had a 360 for years and Santa was good to me this year.

As far as the external HD goes, is it a regular external HD or a 'special' one specifically for One?

I appreciate all the info you are providing. Have had a 360 for years and Santa was good to me this year.

As far as the external HD goes, is it a regular external HD or a 'special' one specifically for One?

Any SATA3 will work. A 2TB external should run around $60-$90.

I got this one on Amazon for like $90 or so on a sale several months back. You may not need 5TB though.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
Got Xbox One for Christmas. Anyone else have issues with games installing and updating? Takes FOREVER.

We got one for Christmas, too. I'm having the same issues. Battlefield 1 took forever to install. I guess a 10Mbs connection don't help, but I've read that if you install the games in offline mode it goes faster, since its not downloading the play it online dlc stuff. I have found that if you install 360 games on it, you have to be connected to the internet and it downloads 7 gig, roughly.

We got one for Christmas, too. I'm having the same issues. Battlefield 1 took forever to install. I guess a 10Mbs connection don't help, but I've read that if you install the games in offline mode it goes faster, since its not downloading the play it online dlc stuff. I have found that if you install 360 games on it, you have to be connected to the internet and it downloads 7 gig, roughly.

Yeah, my connection is even worse. Guess when one lives in the sticks, that's what you get. I'm d/ling at maybe 2Mbs. :thud:

Rockband updated overnight. Now I'm d/ling BF1 (40+GB). Then have 8GB update for Madden 17. Things are a lot different than when I had my 360. :eek:hmy:

Yeah, my connection is even worse. Guess when one lives in the sticks, that's what you get. I'm d/ling at maybe 2Mbs. :thud:

Rockband updated overnight. Now I'm d/ling BF1 (40+GB). Then have 8GB update for Madden 17. Things are a lot different than when I had my 360. :eek:hmy:

Yeah, the games on the newer systems are much larger files than on 360. I hope you get them updated in time to play them before the new year :p

VN Store

Back