'19 WV OL Darnell Wright (Tennessee signee)

Regardless of how much he plays as a true freshman, though, Wright and Morris should give the Vols “a great foundation to build on” at offensive tackle, Simmons said, as part of a Tennessee class that features five offensive linemen.

“I just think that’s a home-run offensive-tackle class,” Simmons said. "I don’t think there’s many better in the country in this cycle, in terms of two bookend offensive tackles in one class. Even if it doesn’t hit this year, it’s just a great foundation to build on.

“And when you throw the inside guys in there, I think one thing you can be certain about is the strength, the physicality that’s coming. I’m not sure that (Jackson) Lampley and Chris (Akporoghene) are ready to contribute right away. I think Melvin McBride’s probably more ready than those other guys.
-Barton Simmons

“The thing most people don’t know about Darnell, he’s just 17 years old,” Seals told GoVols247 on Wednesday, after Wright went public with his decision to sign with the Vols.
“He won’t be 18 until August. So he’s still a young pup. To be 6-6, 320 as a 17-year-old, we knew he was going to be special. He’s got tremendous athletic ability.”

“It’s his athletic ability,” Seals said. “Most kids in high school, their pass protection is way behind their run blocking. He’s flipped. His pass blocking in unbelievable. Some of that comes back to being an athlete.”
Before getting to high school Wright played safety and running back. Then he started to blow up physically.
“He’s only played the offensive line for three years,” Seals said. “He’s still got some things he has to continue to get better at, but we’re happy for him.”
-Grant Ramey

“I just think that’s a home-run offensive-tackle class,” Simmons said. "I don’t think there’s many better in the country in this cycle, in terms of two bookend offensive tackles in one class.
-Barton Simmons

Wut? Did any other program bring in 2 of the top 5 OTs? If not, how can there be any question as to whether there are any better in this cycle?

“I just think that’s a home-run offensive-tackle class,” Simmons said. "I don’t think there’s many better in the country in this cycle, in terms of two bookend offensive tackles in one class.
-Barton Simmons

Wut? Did any other program bring in 2 of the top 5 OTs? If not, how can there be any question as to whether there are any better in this cycle?
Thought the same thing while reading this. I wonder how far back you have to go to find a pair of bookends as highly rated as the ones we just pulled in.

Lol oh they’re gonna play. Did these guys we our Oline last year? We were the ones getting manhandled by ETSU if you need a refresher.
We handled ETSU. You’re thinking of powerhouse Charlotte and their NFL-ready defensive line. Nice to see the current players getting some actual SEC-style swole, like Tatum. Seeing these five kids coming in BIGGER than the upper-class-men is still incredibly encouraging.

I think Wanya ends up at LT when he gets some strength and Darnell goes to the RT when he learns to maul people. Good lord, this is like 1988-2007ish. Giant beasts roam the Hill again! Feels so good!

For all of those who swoon over Sam Pittman and his recruiting, check out where he is on this list, and who is only 3 spots below him.
While agreeing with where you’re going, I’ll add that Pittman and Friend are different types of recruiters. Pittman gets in tight with them, sits in class (ala Cade Mays), in essence becomes their buddy. Friend seems to gravitate towards the teacher/mentor role. This recent class hurt Pittman in the numbers partly because of his huge success the past two classes...he was responsible for 3 signees. Of course the big one he missed, Darnell Wright, didn’t help Friend’s totals either because Niedermeyer is credited as his lead recruiter...and that helped skyrocket HIS ranking. But Friend is a vital part of this class because the relationship that our Jedi recruiters establish means little if the kid can’t see himself playing for the position coach. And that’s why we missed on the vast majority of the elite big uglies during Butch’s tenure. They didn’t want to play for Mahoney. What’s closing these kids is who’s COACHING these kids.

-Barton Simmons

Alabama signed Evan Neal & Pierce Quick.

While agreeing with where you’re going, I’ll add that Pittman and Friend are different types of recruiters. Pittman gets in tight with them, sits in class (ala Cade Mays), in essence becomes their buddy. Friend seems to gravitate towards the teacher/mentor role. This recent class hurt Pittman in the numbers partly because of his huge success the past two classes...he was responsible for 3 signees. Of course the big one he missed, Darnell Wright, didn’t help Friend’s totals either because Niedermeyer is credited as his lead recruiter...and that helped skyrocket HIS ranking. But Friend is a vital part of this class because the relationship that our Jedi recruiters establish means little if the kid can’t see himself playing for the position coach. And that’s why we missed on the vast majority of the elite big uglies during Butch’s tenure. They didn’t want to play for Mahoney. What’s closing these kids is who’s COACHING these kids.
Yeah, b...I agree, completely. It wasn't a knock really on Pittman (I think very highly of him); it was more of a nod to Friend, and a middle finger to those that just discarded him when they thought🙄 we may have a chance at Pittman.

Yeah, b...I agree, completely. It wasn't a knock really on Pittman (I think very highly of him); it was more of a nod to Friend, and a middle finger to those that just discarded him when they thought🙄 we may have a chance at Pittman.
Didn’t think you took any swipes and I agree. Lamest idea ever to make Friend RB’s coach. Technically there’s no superiority but Pittman has that reputation that is drawing recruits. This class starts that trend for Friend, imo. OL recruiting is a different bag. They flow where they can be coached up. Alabama and tOSU have brand loyalty but it’ll be interesting to see next year if losing Key dents that class. UGA has Pittman as a brand. The fact that he went all in on Wright and we kept him is a huge feather in the cap for Friend. Wright loves Nieds, but he doesn’t come here if he doesn’t respect the OL coach. We lose this OL class if Clement had been brought in with Briles imo.

For all of those who swoon over Sam Pittman and his recruiting, check out where he is on this list, and who is only 3 spots below him.

I don’t understand that list. Friend’s 5 commits are all the OL, he wasn’t the lead recruiter for all was he?

Lead for Wanya and Lampley; secondary for Wright, McBride, and Akporoghene.
Article in paper here today about him and stated 3 weeks ago it was over for sure that no place would be like home and the way he was treated like UT and that nieds/friend talked to him about basketball (think he is not playing now) and academics more than football. He did appreciate wvu but it was a token visit decision was made before that and that holgerson never really approached. Back to training, lifting etc and glad it is over with. Low key kid and will be ready to go when he gets here. Sorry for the length but I just covered the basics.

VN Store

Back