Would you take Scott Frost now?

Fit.
The fact no one fits in Knoxville, really, is a big part of our problem. Kiffen didn't fit, but he was working through it.
When I think of coaches who fit the UTK culture, I draw a blank. We need a culture setter, like UF got with Urban Meyer. Gary Patterson could have done that, I think.

Pruitt is trying and not succeeding all that much yet. I haven't given up on Pruitt. If he turns us into a George Foreman type of team that is just going to hurt people and they dread coming to Neyland, that would be good and help recruiting. That is what he tried to do, I just don't see the DLine strength or OLine dirty hatred to do it. Our glory days were filled with linemen that would tear people apart. Even Trey Smith is not that guy.

We don't have a great football culture. Pruitt can either change it or get fired. He does it with coaching and recruiting. His recruiting has been better than his coaching, so I thought he was the guy, but now I do not know.
What it comes down to is that we haven't hired a coach who has won.

IMO, people confuse cause and effect here. The reason we don't have a culture is because we don't win. If you're winning, then whatever culture that exists at that time gets perpetuated because you were winning during the time you had it. You can instill what you think is a "great culture," but if the organization isn't successful, is that culture going to stick?

There's also been huge turnover in the athletic department and administration over the last 10+ years. The lack of success hasn't been caused by the turnover; it's the other way around. We haven't been successful, so you have turnover.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I hear Urbie's name mentioned a lot. He's too flighty. I know he can coach and has proven it. but he can come up with questionable excuses to get out of contracts or situations . He might fly the coup in the middle of the night like Lane did.

If he got us to be a winning program like he has done the schools he left, I have no problem.

...or Mike Norvell?

They were at the top of the heap but not at programs that neither can turn around.

I disagree on Norvel. Bobby Bowden thrived there for years as did Jimbo for a while. The parts are all there; its up to him to put them together. As for Frost, I don't know. There isn't a lot of there out there in Nebraska. How Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne did it is remarkable. I know a judge who played for Devaney while Osborne was an assistant. He told me that Osborne was the last person he would have ever thought could be a good coach.

How about everyone who screamed to hire Les Miles? He's doing a fine job, right?
Eh, I think it’s too early to tell at a school like Kansas. For example, last year he tied their best record of the decade but they only went 3-9. That probably is one of the few P5 schools where it would take 3-5 years to actually see any turnaround.

Toooooo early to pass judgement on either.

Norvell. FSU has inherent University problems, hence Jimbo leaving. Taggert was worse than Butch was here, that team is in a very bad way. Factoring in cv19, Norvell needs much more time to see what he can really do.

Frost. Nebraska is a big rebuild. Complete turn around of systems, with a very difficult recruiting ability. Not in the SEC, not in the Big 12. Outcast in it's conference, and in the middle of nowhere. He may get it going, but he needs time to flip the roster and improve the talent.

So.... Why do these guys get time vs what many think about Pruitt?

It comes down to a few points.

JG. We're told he's the best chance to win, yet we don't win. Three years as the starter essentially, no improvement.

Coaching. Being routinely out coached, either for an entire game or after adjustments by the opposing team, there 2nd half.

Recruiting. Yes. Recruiting. He isn't beating anyone ahead of us, GA, FLA, AL, etc. Without winning any of those games as well, he never will. You can lose to them, and out recruit, which means eventually you do rise. Or, you can beat, compete against them which will eventually get you to rise in recruiting. You can't fail at both. He has and continues to.

...or Mike Norvell?

They were at the top of the heap but not at programs that neither can turn around.

Unpopular opinion: I’d take Frost today. Bad coaches don’t turn programs from 0-12 to 12-0. But Nebraska isn’t rebuild-able in the Big 10, IMO. 8-4 is their absolute ceiling. Like Ole Miss or Mississippi State.

He is like 10-19 at Nebraska, but he only has 3 blowout losses (of 20 points or more).

Just because of his overall person (high school through coaching) and his winning, I figured he would be a good one.

I certainly wouldn’t take him right now, and if Tennessee had him I would want him fired (if he had like results as Nebraska).
Scott Frost really wasn't a good player at Nebraska to but i will say that if he gets enough time over there he just might surprise some people as soon as he does get it going

Scott Frost really wasn't a good player at Nebraska to but i will say that if he gets enough time over there he just might surprise some people as soon as he does get it going
Yeah he was a run of the mill JG type.......🙄
In his two seasons starting for the Huskers, Frost quarterbacked his teams to a 24–2 record, completing 192 of 359 passes for 2,677 yards and 18 touchdowns, including a senior season in which he became only the tenth player in college football history to both run (1,095) and pass (1,237) for 1,000 yards, also setting school records for rushing touchdowns (19) and yards. He was the 1996 Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year and a 1997 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award finalist.[15]

Scott Frost and Mike Norvell would likely both be doing better than Pruitt.

Maybe not the best candidates but better than what we have.
They could have made the decision on Qb. If Pruitt had HB ready no one would be talking of firing him. We would be 5-2 or 4-3 at the worst.

Take this away and Nebraska was finished.
1693200836_main.jpg

:rolleyes: His offense was juiced to the gills, but he ran the option smartly and read defenses well.

Boom..........this. You know who would be a great fit here? Who has SEC experience that would fit and from what I can tell as an arm chair coach would fit the personality of these 18 to 20-something year old players with all the things listed above?............I'm leaning Freeze. Just watching his teams (both at Ole Miss and the youtube replays of Liberty) all his players have fire and just look like they enjoy the game and love playing for him. But I agree.........fitting certain situations is a must.
To me, this is a watershed moment in the history of this program. We have found ourselves before in that spot where we knew we were going to have to find a new coach; but not once has there been such an obvious, inescapable, inarguable (by anyone sane) solution right in front of our eyes, begging to be taken.

None of the other times in the last thirteen years when we needed to make a coaching change was there a coach with the accomplishments of Hugh Freeze, who also just happened to be coaching at a school many levels below what his talent warrants, clearly biding his time for a better opportunity. When you add the fact that Freeze has called our very job his dream job, the chasm between him and any other candidate we may have considered in the last four searches grows wide indeed. I'm not including Gruden in all of this because he was out of coaching entirely when we may or may not have had a shot at him, and depending on who you believe, he may or may not have seriously been interested; but his relative interest wasn't hard to gauge because he wasn't doing anything remotely related to college football, i.e. he wasn't trying to further his career as a college coach, whereas Freeze is.

There isn't just a quantifiable difference between the coaching ability of Freeze and our current coach; there's as much difference as there is between a Porsche and a Yugo, between an astronaut and a McDonald's cashier, between Seattle Slew and a gimpy mule. Opportunities like this don't come along every day, or even every decade; we haven't had one the like of this since we began our slide.

Everyone on here likes to assume a fatalistic attitude as though we as fans have no impact on what transpires. I wonder if a week from now the athletic department got 100,000 e-mails from fans informing them they would not buy another ticket to Neyland Stadium or spend any money whatsoever with this program until Pruitt is fired and Freeze is hired, if they would still feel so empowered to blithely ignore us and run the program in the cavalier way they have for the last thirteen years? If some of these power boosters who think this football program is their personal toy that they can do with as they see fit, suddenly were confronted with the possibility that we might really all go away and leave them with their little plaything that would suddenly become pretty meaningless, would they continue in their arrogance? If people really stopped coming to the games, and three years from now the program had to drop down to D-II, where would that leave the power boosters? How would they feel then about their precious egos that right now they're clearly putting before the good of this program?

It's just unconscionable that one of the small handful of the very best coaches in college football has made clear that this is his dream job, and we're at a moment in our history where we need him very, very badly, and the people with the power to do it haven't already made it happen. The massive spike in revenue from hiring Freeze would obliterate the extra money we spent to get him within one season, probably less time than that; if we keep the imposter that we presently have, the lost revenue will make buyouts look cheap a year from now, especially when Freeze is hired by Auburn and immediately proceeds to run us out of the stadium, and within a year or two is in the playoff.

Here's my challenge to you power boosters: do you really care like you say you do about this program, or do you just care about your ego and being right, which is the only possible explanation of why you would not fire Pruitt now? If you really bleed orange and this football program means as much to you as the Alabama program meant to its boosters when they didn't take no for an answer from Saban, walk the walk and go get us the coach that you know as well as we do would have us in the playoff within four years. Because if you just sit back and allow this buffoon we have now to run this thing further into the ground even than the last two bozos did, and Freeze goes on to be hired by one of the other teams in this conference (which you know as well as we do will happen) and then makes it to the playoff with that team instead of us, then you really aren't a friend of this program, and your actions will have proven it.

Reactions: 7Iron
I disagree on Norvel. Bobby Bowden thrived there for years as did Jimbo for a while. The parts are all there; its up to him to put them together. As for Frost, I don't know. There isn't a lot of there out there in Nebraska. How Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne did it is remarkable. I know a judge who played for Devaney while Osborne was an assistant. He told me that Osborne was the last person he would have ever thought could be a good coach.
Roids. Lots of ROIDS helped back then too.

Hire Pee Wee Herman. He hasn't lost in the ACC, Pac 12, Big 12, Big 10 or the SEC. All we need is a Orange version of his bicycle and bow tie.

Re: Scott Frost

Read the Nebraska board to see what the fans think of him now.

He could not beat ILLINOIS! Would he come here and beat Saban, Mullen, Smart, etc.?

I have family that are Auburn fans offering to trade Gus and Nix for Pruitt and JG. I said you’re nuts. I’d do that in a heartbeat.
Hey I'm all in on that...And hey wouldn't be great if we could do this by christmas?...Lets make that happen lol

Reactions: hUTch2002

VN Store

Back