Worst basketball team since

Maybe the 1994 Wade Houston team? This team makes the Kevin O’Neil teams look like championship teams. I’ve been watching Tennessee basketball for 50 years and have never seen more missed layups, air balls, and poor defense more than maybe 3 or 4 seasons . This team basically has no talent. Next season can’t get here soon enough
Good Lord. Overreact much?

Reactions: StarRaider
Maybe the 1994 Wade Houston team? This team makes the Kevin O’Neil teams look like championship teams. I’ve been watching Tennessee basketball for 50 years and have never seen more missed layups, air balls, and poor defense more than maybe 3 or 4 seasons . This team basically has no talent. Next season can’t get here soon enough
Agree. If you really watch them closely, fundamentals defensively are terrible. And they’re physically weak and soft.

Reactions: 1985Vols
Nope. You are forgetting Buzz Ball.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
This team is going to have to become scrappy. Diving on the floor, hustle up and down the court, hard fouls. Gotta do it. Whos gonna start the scrapping? I think JJJ has the ability to be mean out there, but not sure if he wants that reputation. Who on our team could just whoop the heck out of most any other college player? Do we have one?

Wade Houston just didn't care, he spent as much time on his personal business matters as he did coaching. Kevin O'Neil just flat out ran off the players he didn't recruit except for Steve Hamer and frankly was just a nut, although he could coach, especially when he had his kind of players. Devoe was a great bench coach but he couldn't recruit his own mother. The ones that drove me crazy were Tyndall (I still don't understand that hire) and Peterson who was a true underachiever. Was a student during the Ernie and Bernie show. Now that was entertainment.

Reactions: 76vol
Season goals should be :
1) find a way to somehow make the NCAA tournament
2) pour every resource we have into coaching these Freshman and Sophomores hard....in particular, hold them accountable for their effort, intensity, and unforced errors........this might mean Bowden's minutes need to decrease. If there's a way to do that but still win the games we should win, I say we do it....

This season should be an "investment in the near future" season.....With the talent we supposedly have on the way, I don't think its unreasonable to believe we could have our first final 4 appearance in 2022 or 2023......However, its gonna take kids like JJJ, Plavsic, Gaines, Pember, Vescovi, and Oliver as polished products when they're combined with the best signing class in UT history.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
With our schedule, 19-12 gets us in. That’s 12-6 in SEC play. That’s not improbable fellas. I think we’ll get there and be a 11/12 seed come March
12-6 in SEC play???? Sorry, but that's delusional if I'm understanding that right. That's 10-4 the rest of the way.

Because there wasn’t value coming back. He’s playing for an NBA organization and has seen time in NBA games this year.
That’s absurd. You cant laud Barnes and say there is no value in another year under his tutelage. I think Bone would have had a chance to be the focus and really improve his stock.

Reactions: The Dog and calban
12-6 in SEC play???? Sorry, but that's delusional if I'm understanding that right. That's 10-4 the rest of the way.

We'd need to finish 9-6 (9-5 SEC with a loss to Kansas) to finish 19-12.

We are currently 10-6.

Idk where his numbers are coming from.

We'd need to finish 9-6 (9-5 SEC with a loss to Kansas) to finish 19-12.

We are currently 10-6.

Idk where his numbers are coming from.

I think finishing 8-7 and getting a SEC tourney win would put us on the bubble as well.

Teamrankings projects 17-14.
We're 2-5 shooting 40% or worse
Something needs to happen soon.

That’s absurd. You cant laud Barnes and say there is no value in another year under his tutelage. I think Bone would have had a chance to be the focus and really improve his stock.
I gotta agree. Bone barely scraped by going undrafted and has seen minimal NBA time. He only last season honed in his PG skills. He would have had a chance to be the man on this team and surely elevate his stock to top 40 if not first round in the 2020 draft imo.

I love Rick Barnes, but he knew we were losing 3 great players this year to the NBA. This year is on him for not recruiting well enough to fill the gap this season. Next season will be fixed with great players coming in, but this one is a huge dropoff.
Agree. But he didn't restock because he didn't think he'd be here this year.

VN Store

Back