Worley gets high praise from Ainge/Swain

I've heard Worley is day and night better from last year. Can't wait to see the improvement.

Not possible. If players aren't all stars when they step on to campus they will never be any good. That's clear from hanging around this place.

Reactions: 2 people
I didn't see them quite do that. I saw one or both say that he was the most physically gifted of UT's QB's and that if he became consistent the job would be his. The did rave over his arm strength... but apparently RF has that in abundance.

The whole episode with RF though is a stark difference between the previous 3 staffs and this one. Dooley would have bungled it altogether. Kiffin and Fulmer would have likely fed his prima donna attitude to keep his physical talent. Jones held him accountable to the same standard as everyone else even to the point of losing him.

Succeed or fail, Jones deserves great credit for being clear with expectations and then holding everyone to the same ones.

*pre madonna

:p

At least RF had pocket presents.

Reactions: 1 person
According to VN Dobbs is the starter because he had a couple of good drives in a practice against the second team defense.

Worley is the starter.

Reactions: 3 people
I always assumed he sucked if he couldn't beat Worley, Dobbs, and Peterman for the starting position. Pretty obvious to me lol

I know. :salute: :peace2:

I remember our friendly off season QB debates this spring! :birgits_giggle: I was very wrong about RF. I bought into the EA show hype for sure. But I just don't think Dobbs is the answer at this point. I really hope Worley can put it all together as a senior and have a solid season.

It would be huge for this team if he can turn the corner in his development.

That's interesting because Hyams was on 104.5 this morning talking about how the coaches stated they were not terribly happy with the QB situation at the moment. Said there were 62 passes thrown off mark in their first practice - compared to 63 in last year's first practice. According to Bajakian, good football teams have 15-25 misses in a practice.

agreed, although the air is thinner in ktown

Long way to go but looking like Worley is gonna win the job. He seems to have made a lot of improvement from last season.

That's interesting because Hyams was on 104.5 this morning talking about how the coaches stated they were not terribly happy with the QB situation at the moment. Said there were 62 passes thrown off mark in their first practice - compared to 63 in last year's first practice. According to Bajakian, good football teams have 15-25 misses in a practice.

Good coaches are always critical during camp. You have at least 4 quarterbacks (maybe 5) slinging passes, with a total of 62 bad throws between them.

It's very telling that the coaches didn't break down the numbers for each player... nor was Mr. Hyams able to watch the entire practice, like the VFL's in attendance were. Wedgyn could have thrown 25 to 30 of the errant passes, for all we know.

It would be worrisome if the coaches gave a report detailing 15+ instances where freshman DB's got their hands on a ball... Instead, all we've got here is "Coach-Speak 101."

Last edited:
I know. :salute: :peace2:

I remember our friendly off season QB debates this spring! :birgits_giggle: I was very wrong about RF. I bought into the EA show hype for sure. But I just don't think Dobbs is the answer at this point. I really hope Worley can put it all together as a senior and have a solid season.

It would be huge for this team if he can turn the corner in his development.

Haha yea, I don't live in TN so I never listen to TSR for the Ainge opinion.

I agree with you about Dobbs. I'm starting to worry that he's not going to be the man for the job when Worley leaves. I am really concerned about our future at the QB position. I have never bashed this coaching staff, but they are starting to scare me with this QB ordeal.

Last edited:
I think RF was just the Escape Goat for the team.

tumblr_m2s0z6wQGQ1qjwz5yo2_r6_250.gif

Coach Jake said they got that number down into the twenties yesterday. As for Worley under throwing guys, I have only seen one horrible under throw in the video's I've seen. They were running post routes and he was throwing to Malone. Since they were making a big deal about throwing to a spot, and with Coach Z yelling the whole time, "flatten out, flatten out," I think Worley threw to the spot and Malone wasn't where he was supposed to be.

I'm not a football expert by any means, but that's just what I saw.

Agree. Also Worley has much better touch than others on wheel routes. He looks bigger and stronger too. Great story if he helps lead us to a bowl game.

practice man. Not a game. I want to believe and think he will step into throws with more confidence, better wr's, a TE, more explosive rb and a 2nd year in the system.
But he still looked scared at times with the lights on last year so when I see it live, I'm in.

Haha yea, I don't live in TN so I never listen to TSR for the Ainge opinion.

I agree with you about Dobbs. I'm starting to worry that he's not going to be the man for the job when Worley leaves. I am really concerned about our future at the QB position. I have never bashed this coaching staff, but they are starting to worry me about this QB ordeal.

Don't worry, man. That kid is the real deal. You'll see.

The quote from Hyams was from an interview where the staff was counting the number of times the ball hit the ground, during the entire practice.

A lot of those can be attributed to Peterman and the walk-on/scout team QB's throwing to walk-on/scout team receivers & backs on the very first day of camp.

Hyams didn't say he saw Worley & Dobbs winging ducks 10 yds short of open receivers.

Good coaches are always critical during camp. You have at least 4 quarterbacks (maybe 5) slinging passes, with a total of 62 bad throws between them.
That was 62 balls that hit the ground. I saw at least 5 QB's. Maybe six... plus a bunch of WR's some of which are probably scout team.

ICYMI, On the Erik Ainge show this morning he praised Worley a ton. He said "Worley didn't just look for Worley, Worley looked good period." He said he and Jason Swain were astonished at Worley's play and had Worley been wearing a different number they wouldn't have recognized him.

Apparently Dobbs and Peterman are in a competition for QB2 but as of right now Worley looks to be the starter for sure.

TIFWIF. I personally am excited to hear this and have been saying Worley would/should start this season since the end of last season.

Ainge/Swain racist, IMO, JMHO, YIKSIB

Hyams didn't say he saw Worley & Dobbs winging ducks 10 yds short of open receivers.

Dobbs has had several bad throws caught on the videos shown here.

As I mentioned earlier, some guys throw it better with a defender in the picture. They need something to throw to AND away from. That could be Dobbs or any of the others... but most of Dobbs' misses have been overthrows. Several weren't close.

I've heard great things from media, bad things from coaches. I don't know what to believe about our QB situation...

If the coaches begin to praise the q.b.'s now, then the q.b.'s may think that they have arrived and not work as hard in practice.
At the right time, bUTch will talk well of the q.b.'s.

I think it's important to note that Ainge and Swain get to watch the entire practice vs. The rest of the media guys 45 minutes or so. Ainge has not been a Worley guy at all until recently so any opinion he gives comes with a lot of "I was wrong" attached.

My guess is Dobbs is trying to hard because he knows he is #2 QB and Domady invasion is imminent. If he settles down, you will see the significant improvements he has made since last year...but he is still behind Worley.

VN Store

Back