Worley gets high praise from Ainge/Swain

With all of the coach speak and little motivational tricks, who besides the coaches and those that see with their own eyes know the real story?

IMHO, this is a crafty (almost deceitful) thing that Jones has mastered that makes him MUCH better at PR than Dooley. Dooley would rub the media's nose in the fact that he wasn't allowing them to see anything.

Jones lets them see "some things"... so they get to write their stories and tell their tales. Meanwhile, he politely asks them to leave... and controls info from the rest of practice pretty tightly.

The truth is that a well orchestrated football practice will be pretty tough for even those who are allowed to see one to interpret or draw conclusions from. There's a lot going on and much of it will be designed to make the players fail.

Ainge DOES have a personal experience that is applicable to what he's seeing. In 06, many here included me were sure that Crompton should and would take the QB job from Ainge. I mean his 2005 surrounded by talented players was an absolute trainwreck. The team was bad... Ainge was worse. Practice reports and scrimmages after Cut arrived starting with spring practice made Ainge look like a lost cause. I don't think he had a scrimmage where he completed 50% of his passes. Meanwhile, JC was mobile and from practice stats seemed to be outperforming Ainge. There were even rumors of a controversy within the team.

What happened? Ainge lit a favored Cal team up to start leading the bounce back recovery from 2005. The Vols went 9-4 (with their last win over Bama). They lost by 1 to UF's first NC team under Meyer.

I say that just to get to this... a good coach like Cut or hopefully Jones has a strategy designed to stretch his QB(s) and make them fail. Once he knows what they "can" do, he'll try to push them to find out their limits. Obviously Cut didn't try to do the things EA failed to do well in practice. When the season started, they played to their strengths. I suspect we'll see that from Jones.

He also seems to be pushing his guys to the point of arm fatigue right now. They're throwing A LOT of balls in practice.

Reactions: 5 people
Media thought Ferguson looked to be the most talented guy on the roster at one time also.

Worley likely will be better though because he will have more talent at the skill positions. For all his criticism, he was good enough to beat a damn good South Carolina team and come within a hair of beating UGA. Worley isn't a top tier QB in the conference but he isn't going to lose games for you most of the time.

Reactions: 2 people
Media thought Ferguson looked to be the most talented guy on the roster at one time also.

Worley likely will be better though because he will have more talent at the skill positions. For all his criticism, he was good enough to beat a damn good South Carolina team and come within a hair of beating UGA. Worley isn't a top tier QB in the conference but he isn't going to lose games for you most of the time.

Ferguson's talent wasn't in question. He was the most talented QB on the roster, but he was also, in hindsight, the most selfish and immature.

Worley is more than serviceable and, according to a wide range of football people, including some outside the program (eg, Archie Manning and Mike Detillier) is much improved with his arm, mechanics, confidence and accuracy. We'll see how it translates to the games. If Dobbs beats him out in the next 3 weeks I'll feel even better about our QB situation. We shall see soon enough.

Reactions: 3 people
Ferguson's talent wasn't in question. He was the most talented QB on the roster, but he was also, in hindsight, the most selfish and immature.

Worley is more than serviceable and, according to a wide range of football people, including some outside the program (eg, Archie Manning and Mike Detillier) is much improved with his arm, mechanics, confidence and accuracy. We'll see how it translates to the games. If Dobbs beats him out in the next 3 weeks I'll feel even better about our QB situation. We shall see soon enough.

I want to believe that but I need to see it in game before I'm ready to acknowledge him as anything more than a game manager. I would love for him to be successful because he seems like a mature kid that does all the right things. Preseason hype is always generally positive though.

I want to believe that but I need to see it in game before I'm ready to acknowledge him as anything more than a game manager. I would love for him to be successful because he seems like a mature kid that does all the right things. Preseason hype is always generally positive though.

That's why we bother watching games...so we can make intelligible posts. :)

Reactions: 1 person
They're NOT that young. ONE underclass man!!!!!!!!!!.

We are that young across the board in experience. I just counted and we have around 42 FR and RS FR on the team. Given I didn't breakdown walk ons. DL alone we have 8 FR and RS FR. OL we have 6. Is it possible that all of these new guys out perform last years lines? Maybe. Although for actual game experience we are really hurting.

IMHO, this is a crafty (almost deceitful) thing that Jones has mastered that makes him MUCH better at PR than Dooley. Dooley would rub the media's nose in the fact that he wasn't allowing them to see anything.

Jones lets them see "some things"... so they get to write their stories and tell their tales. Meanwhile, he politely asks them to leave... and controls info from the rest of practice pretty tightly.

The truth is that a well orchestrated football practice will be pretty tough for even those who are allowed to see one to interpret or draw conclusions from. There's a lot going on and much of it will be designed to make the players fail.

Ainge DOES have a personal experience that is applicable to what he's seeing. In 06, many here included me were sure that Crompton should and would take the QB job from Ainge. I mean his 2005 surrounded by talented players was an absolute trainwreck. The team was bad... Ainge was worse. Practice reports and scrimmages after Cut arrived starting with spring practice made Ainge look like a lost cause. I don't think he had a scrimmage where he completed 50% of his passes. Meanwhile, JC was mobile and from practice stats seemed to be outperforming Ainge. There were even rumors of a controversy within the team.

What happened? Ainge lit a favored Cal team up to start leading the bounce back recovery from 2005. The Vols went 9-4 (with their last win over Bama). They lost by 1 to UF's first NC team under Meyer.

I say that just to get to this... a good coach like Cut or hopefully Jones has a strategy designed to stretch his QB(s) and make them fail. Once he knows what they "can" do, he'll try to push them to find out their limits. Obviously Cut didn't try to do the things EA failed to do well in practice. When the season started, they played to their strengths. I suspect we'll see that from Jones.

He also seems to be pushing his guys to the point of arm fatigue right now. They're throwing A LOT of balls in practice.

Sensible post is sensible

Couldn't agree with you more here. This is why I'm waiting til close to the end of camp to worry. If we don't have a starting QB by the last week of August then I'm going to start to sweat.

ICYMI, On the Erik Ainge show this morning he praised Worley a ton. He said "Worley didn't just look for Worley, Worley looked good period." He said he and Jason Swain were astonished at Worley's play and had Worley been wearing a different number they wouldn't have recognized him.

Apparently Dobbs and Peterman are in a competition for QB2 but as of right now Worley looks to be the starter for sure.

TIFWIF. I personally am excited to hear this and have been saying Worley would/should start this season since the end of last season.

That isn't how it's sounding from practice reports. I don't care who steps up, just need someone to do it. With Worley and Dobbs not having a good practice yesterday, Worley still underthrowing receivers and then Peterman getting the first first teams reps contradicts what Ainge and Swain are saying. We have too much potential at WR and need a steady QB. Help is on the way the next 2 yrs but need someone now to take command of this offense.

Couldn't agree with you more here. This is why I'm waiting til close to the end of camp to worry. If we don't have a starting QB by the last week of August then I'm going to start to sweat.

I've said this before and honestly am not trying to be a smart aleck but virtually every sign points toward Worley being Jones' guy right now. I think the competition is real but if we could actually spend some time between Jones' ears... I believe he's expecting to run Worley out vs USU.

Actually they are very different based on practice 4 reports.

Yeah. I acknowledged that in a later post. Prior to that, the reports here were positive on Worley and negative on Dobbs. They pretty much ignored or handwaved the rest of them though they might want to take Peterman a little more serious. I still think Worley is eventually the starter... but the competition for back up seems to be tighter than we might have imagined. Just based on the things we're allowed to see, Peterman is delivering the ball better than Dobbs.

That isn't how it's sounding from practice reports. I don't care who steps up, just need someone to do it. With Worley and Dobbs not having a good practice yesterday, Worley still underthrowing receivers and then Peterman getting the first first teams reps contradicts what Ainge and Swain are saying. We have too much potential at WR and need a steady QB. Help is on the way the next 2 yrs but need someone now to take command of this offense.

Now that Butch has shut down player interviews because he says the team sucks real bad and isnt worthy, I can say I was right in that both Worley and Dobbs both suck. Every time Jones opens his mouth I feel worse and worse about the players he has. We need so bad to cycle out all the Dooley players and get 3-4 years of good recruiting classes.

When this stuff starts to leak like this, you know the dam is about to break. God I only hope we are not embarrassed again. I am so tired of this era of UT football.

Now that Butch has shut down player interviews because he says the team sucks real bad and isnt worthy, I can say I was right in that both Worley and Dobbs both suck. Every time Jones opens his mouth I feel worse and worse about the players he has. We need so bad to cycle out all the Dooley players and get 3-4 years of good recruiting classes.

When this stuff starts to leak like this, you know the dam is about to break. God I only hope we are not embarrassed again. I am so tired of this era of UT football.

So they had a practice below Jones' standard, he lights them up in the FIRST WEEK OF AUGUST, the QB's have an off practice... and you feel vindicated?

I seldom do this but am going to bookmark this page so we can revisit it once we have more real stuff to base ironclad declarations on. Should be fun.

So they had a practice below Jones' standard, he lights them up in the FIRST WEEK OF AUGUST, the QB's have an off practice... and you feel vindicated?

I seldom do this but am going to bookmark this page so we can revisit it once we have more real stuff to base ironclad declarations on. Should be fun.

this is nothing but a continuation of spring practice, which was nothing but a continuation of last season. See a trend? It's not like I'm just pulling this stuff out of thin air.

Maybe I need to read other team boards. I'm not getting any news like this out of alabama, auburn, LSU, Florida, South Carolina or Georgia. Maybe it's just me but when I smell smoke I try to get out of the forest.

Now that Butch has shut down player interviews because he says the team sucks real bad and isnt worthy, I can say I was right in that both Worley and Dobbs both suck . Every time Jones opens his mouth I feel worse and worse about the players he has. We need so bad to cycle out all the Dooley players and get 3-4 years of good recruiting classes.

Clearly.

Congrats, you win the internet. Take a few days off to celebrate.

this is nothing but a continuation of spring practice, which was nothing but a continuation of last season. See a trend? It's not like I'm just pulling this stuff out of thin air.

Maybe I need to read other team boards. I'm not getting any news like this out of alabama, auburn, LSU, Florida, South Carolina or Georgia. Maybe it's just me but when I smell smoke I try to get out of the forest.

I think you're stretching yourself too thin rooting for all those teams lil champion :gone: probably cut it down to Bama, Auburn and LSU...think of the fortune you'll save in razor blades. :eek:k:

VN Store

Back