Won't be practicing on the ground no more

You have to put that into perspective. He is comparing us to Alabama and I am sure that is a correct statement. Also the spread offense leans more on agile/quick lineman than a pro style power running game. We have some good players and we have talented players but we’ haven’t been built for this style of football. I expect for next couple years we will have a lot of square pegs in round holes.

Pure BS. Jones couldn't coach. His "system" didn't work. Even in year 1 there were former Vol OL's quietly questioning the "techniques" being taught to UT's OL's. Not remarkable at all... that the BEST OL Jones had was the one he inherited that was rumored to have basically ignored what his staff tried to teach them on "technique".

Pruitt has athletes to work with. He has 8 months to get them ready to play to the best of their ability. That's all that should be expected at this point. Jones never did that in 5 years.... even after he had plenty of time to "change the culture, install his system, get his players, build depth, and develop"... or any of the other BS excuses given for his poor coaching that was evidenced even in his first season.

If Pruitt is a great coach then he will coach great. He'll get everything out of his roster and then some whether that's 5 wins or 14. He won't get blown off the field or lose to less talented teams like Jones did vs Vandy in year 1.

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder if Urban has starters with black stripes, while some guys on the bench already have them off.

The point was the black stripes. They’re goofy or they’re not. I vote for the goofy. And Urban prolly invented it. :)

Take the face masks off during practice and teach proper form tackling. Wrap and hold.

Forget the facemasks, take off the helmets entirely and teach proper form.

There's some pretty convincing peer-reviewed research that highly suggest (p<0.05) that teams that practice without helmets and use them only for the game suffer fewer concussions and head trauma. They learn to tackle and take down the right way in practice because it's a matter of life and limb; the muscle memory kicks in at game time and they don't change to a more dangerous style.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26651278

performed noncontact football skills.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S):
Frequency of head impacts was recorded by an impact sensor for each athlete-exposure (AE). Data were tested with a 2 × 3 (group and time) repeated-measures analysis of variance. Significant interactions and main effects (P < .05) were followed with t tests.

RESULTS:
Head impacts/AE decreased for the intervention group compared with the control group by the end of the season (9.99 ± 6.10 versus 13.84 ± 7.27, respectively). The intervention group had 30% fewer impacts/AE than the control group by season's end (9.99 ± 6.10 versus 14.32 ± 8.45, respectively).

CONCLUSION:
A helmetless-tackling training intervention reduced head impacts in collegiate football players within 1 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I saw the same things you did. During the first 2 years under Butch our teams were way tougher and more physical. Hell I remember we knocked out like 3 starting QB's in one season. We lacked talent but we played hard.

The difference between the first 3 years and the last 2 was Dave Lawson. Firing him was one of the worst mistake Jones ever made. Size wise, we looked like a mid-major school last year.

100% agree

Reactions: 1 person
In 2013, I thought Butch walked into a tough situation and he did. Dooleys disastrous 2012 recruiting class and losing to UK was bad. Honestly though, I didnt think it could get worse.

I was wrong.

I believe Butch has left this program in worse shape than Dooley did. And Pruitts statements here reinforces my opinion. We have a small football team and we need to teach our guys how to practice tell me all I need to know.

" fahrphil.com " folks got what the wanted........ I just hope they have learned from it.... Worst decade in our football teams history.

End of DDs era our guys couldn’t wrap up and make a tackle.

End of BJs era our guys are hurt from practicing too many live tackles.

Hopefully JP hits the right note and avoids both these pitfalls.

I wonder if Urban has starters with black stripes, while some guys on the bench already have them off.

Not to mention getting to the end of the season with some guys still sporting their glorious black stripe....guess they never measured up, were never accepted as a part of the team? That’s gotta promote great team unity.

VN Store

Back