Won't be practicing on the ground no more

LOL.... Some of us said the injuries were ultimately on Jones for a very long time.

I have had a theory, especially concerning our offensive line, that a big part of our problem has been our scheme. We have run, what appears to me, a read and react scheme. This puts our players in a position of always being on their heels and losing leverage.

View attachment 153693

this is 100% correct, could not agree more

we will not be seeing any more of that nonsense, I can promise that

Butch was a guy that made it big by making a name for himself in the lower ranks and getting a big time job. I doubt he gets that chance again. As we saw his football knowledge was limited that was evident as to what was going on when we played. Every year we had more injuries than any other SEC team and it never got better. We'll see what happens in the coming season and if we have far less injuries guess that means the reason for all the injuries was named Butch.

If Butch wasn't doing this then he is a bigger idiot than I originally thought. My high school team back in 2001-2005 didn't tackle to the ground during practice. We couldn't afford injuries because we were a small team number wise. You have to adjust to your circumstances. Butch not changing his practices when injuries came rolling in is a testament to why he was a bad coach who was unwilling to adjust a way of doing things based on your players or circumstances

Reactions: 1 person
Annual change in S&C Dept is the issue. Tenn has been least physical team in SEC last 2yrs. Very soft.

Exactly .

3 S&C coaches in 3 years and they are the ones who see the players on a more consistent basis than anyone else on the staff.

Throw in Jones's penchant of hiring his buddies over going for the most qualified candidates and it isn't surprising injuries increased.

This is one of the most obvious things ever. I'm not 100% convinced on the contact thing. There are several NFL coaches that are very successful and they admit to running more physical training camps than most.
As a former strength and conditioning guy, that is the biggest reason to me. Our guys just are not strong enough. I'd be interested to see what the former staff's regimen consisted of. One thing I would always point out to my friends is the size and physicality of Alabama. They have power players and play power football. More of that can't be a bad thing.

There is a reason very successful coaches bring there strength and conditioning guys with them to new jobs.

In 2013, I thought Butch walked into a tough situation and he did. Dooleys disastrous 2012 recruiting class and losing to UK was bad. Honestly though, I didnt think it could get worse.

I was wrong.

I believe Butch has left this program in worse shape than Dooley did. And Pruitts statements here reinforces my opinion. We have a small football team and we need to teach our guys how to practice tell me all I need to know.

You have to put that into perspective. He is comparing us to Alabama and I am sure that is a correct statement. Also the spread offense leans more on agile/quick lineman than a pro style power running game. We have some good players and we have talented players but we’ haven’t been built for this style of football. I expect for next couple years we will have a lot of square pegs in round holes.

From all of this I take it that different coaches, both in college and NFL, have different philosophies on what should and should not happen in practice.

I'm not sure I believe that one verses the other leads to more or less injuries - but may be a matter of whether a player gets hurt in a game or practice. And also a matter of whether a player gets put on his butt play after play because he was never challenged in practice (aka too soft).

You have to put that into perspective. He is comparing us to Alabama and I am sure that is a correct statement. Also the spread offense leans more on agile/quick lineman than a pro style power running game. We have some good players and we have talented players but we’ haven’t been built for this style of football. I expect for next couple years we will have a lot of square pegs in round holes.

Agree - different style of offense and defense.

How fast we improve is going to depend upon whether Pruitt pushes his style when he does not have the players for the style or whether he adjusts his style to use the players he has effectively.

If the former - we are in for a couple of very long years. If the latter, maybe there is hope.

If the former, this is the same thing that many complained about CBJ - not tailoring to the strengths of his player.

To me it is Pruitt making excuses and setting the stage in case 2018 turns out worse than 2017 - and it is very possible that will happen.

Maybe he's referring to running practice plays thru initial contact, then call dead. We have a very small HS team numbers wise. Usually around 30 players or less. Can't afford even one practice injury. They run full plays thru blocking contact and such, but they never take the play to the ground. They still get in full block effort and contact on lineman and all that.

Spot on. I thought the same thing at times during the last few seasons. Reactivity rarely beats pro-activity. Good thing is that it is potentially correctable, and, at absolute minimum, the Vols have one of the top 10 best O-lineman in the nation as a Soph. to anchor the new line.

Better to be reactive and go after the guy with the ball than proactively attack the one without the ball.

We're used to that, it's great to now have a coach who knows the difference. Butch never figured out the round and square stuff.

I saw the same things you did. During the first 2 years under Butch our teams were way tougher and more physical. Hell I remember we knocked out like 3 starting QB's in one season. We lacked talent but we played hard.

The difference between the first 3 years and the last 2 was Dave Lawson. Firing him was one of the worst mistake Jones ever made. Size wise, we looked like a mid-major school last year.

Jones admittedly left S&C up to the team in 16. That's when the downturn started. Never got turned around.

Agree - different style of offense and defense.

How fast we improve is going to depend upon whether Pruitt pushes his style when he does not have the players for the style or whether he adjusts his style to use the players he has effectively.

If the former - we are in for a couple of very long years. If the latter, maybe there is hope.

If the former, this is the same thing that many complained about CBJ - not tailoring to the strengths of his player.

To me it is Pruitt making excuses and setting the stage in case 2018 turns out worse than 2017 - and it is very possible that will happen.

So translated: BAMA SUCKS, YEAH!!!

So translated: BAMA SUCKS, YEAH!!!

We do not have the talent that Bama has. We do not have the level of coaching that Bama has.

Bama will be just as good next year, without Pruitt, as it was this year. Last I checked Saban was still the head coach at Bama.

This is one of the most obvious things ever. I'm not 100% convinced on the contact thing. There are several NFL coaches that are very successful and they admit to running more physical training camps than most.
As a former strength and conditioning guy, that is the biggest reason to me. Our guys just are not strong enough. I'd be interested to see what the former staff's regimen consisted of. One thing I would always point out to my friends is the size and physicality of Alabama. They have power players and play power football. More of that can't be a bad thing.

I almost found CJP's answer to the injury question comical because it was so simple and obvious. In so many words he said we have so many injuries because we are small, soft, and weak and we got beat down in a conference full of teams that are big, tough, and strong. Duh! We all knew this to be true but it was refreshing to hear the coach come out and state the obvious.

Reactions: 1 person
This is true..My nephew Brandon Johnson told me that when u lining up against Alabama and Georgia he said those players was huge..Comppared to his teammates..He said it's a big size difference so he hoping to get up to at least 205 by season time..Brandon putting on that good weight. WATCH OUT FOR BREAKOUT SEASON..

Reactions: 3 people
In 2013, I thought Butch walked into a tough situation and he did. Dooleys disastrous 2012 recruiting class and losing to UK was bad. Honestly though, I didnt think it could get worse.

I was wrong.

I believe Butch has left this program in worse shape than Dooley did. And Pruitts statements here reinforces my opinion. We have a small football team and we need to teach our guys how to practice tell me all I need to know.

Our fastest player on Pro Day after Butch’s first season was THE KICKER. We have viable PLAYERS that will be drafted still on the roster. Butch got them and didn’t develop them but we’re nowhere near the sad shape Dooley left us in.

Reactions: 2 people
We do not have the talent that Bama has. We do not have the level of coaching that Bama has.

Bama will be just as good next year, without Pruitt, as it was this year. Last I checked Saban was still the head coach at Bama.

You’re so blinded by your agenda that you can’t process a sarcastic comment anymore. :)

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back