Won't be practicing on the ground no more

Did Pruitt watch Tennessee tackle any last yr? Probably not since when Bama played Vols he only watched Vols offense. Not sure they took many to the ground in practice cause they sure didn’t in the game.

I have had a theory, especially concerning our offensive line, that a big part of our problem has been our scheme. We have run, what appears to me, a read and react scheme. This puts our players in a position of always being on their heels and losing leverage.

View attachment 153693

Never mind...thought you were talking about D...not OL. Now I agree.

Unless you're blitzing or slanting, aren't all defenses read and react? If a DT decides he's going to run over the OT at the snap and the play's an off guard run, all the OT has to do is give ground to the outside and he's got the DT effectively sealed to the outside.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Dooley left us with a pretty good offensive line and an excellent line coach, only for Butch to fire him. Dooley never went 0-8 in the SEC. Enough said.

But what was the OL going to be a couple of years after the year he didn't recruit a single O Lineman?

Back in my day it was bull in the ring. One man in the middle surrounded by six players. Coach would assign numbers to each of the six. When it started, he'd call out numbers. That player would charge the bull. If the bull was too slow he got the sheet knocked out of him.

We had bull ring with a heck of a lot more than 6 people back in the 80's. Coach Potter would've laughed at only 6.

Speaking of practicing. I pray to all that is holy that we never, ever seen anything like the ridiculously stupid black stripe deal Sgt Carter used to foist on this program. I trust Pruitt, a real football coach, won’t be dealing in that type of gimmicky fluff here.

NFL teams do the same. They just thud up. No actual live tackling.

Yep that's why the seahawk tackling is in vogue. Also have you practiced with the "circle" (can't remember the actual name of it) it has done wonders for us in angle tackling.

You’re so blinded by your agenda that you can’t process a sarcastic comment anymore. :)

Except the statement really wasn't sarcastic. There are some that believe because Pruitt is from Bama that anything that comes out of his mouth is gospel.

A lot of this is lining up excuses for when next year is really really really bad. I thought we all were tired of excuses.

I don't agree that next year has to be bad. But that is going to take Pruitt giving some on what he would like to do and working with the talent that is available building the offense and defense around the talent.

If he doesn't I can see 8 possibly 9 losses and part of this fan base will be ready with the moving vans. The others will be making excuses. If the injuries continue - after his comments he will look like he don't have a clue either.

Quite frankly at time he comes off somewhat arrogant and stubborn. I think folks accept it from him, when they would not accept it from the previous coaches - only because he is southern.

And ... oh .... Alabama had a lot of injuries last year as well. More than normal. Difference is they had quality players on the bench ready to come in.

Speaking of practicing. I pray to all that is holy that we never, ever seen anything like the ridiculously stupid black stripe deal Sgt Carter used to foist on this program. I trust Pruitt, a real football coach, won’t be dealing in that type of gimmicky fluff here.

Urban Meyer a real coach? He uses the gimmick. Glad it’s gone but facts.

Yep that's why the seahawk tackling is in vogue. Also have you practiced with the "circle" (can't remember the actual name of it) it has done wonders for us in angle tackling.

Can’t say I have. I’ve seen pass rush drills involving hoops, but I’m not familiar with the “circle”. If the name comes to you, let me know. Always interested in non contact tackling drills.

Urban Meyer a real coach? He uses the gimmick. Glad it’s gone but facts.

No one cares about facts when bashing CBJ. He’s gone and now everything is magically better. All of players will overachieve, blah, blah, blah.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad CBJ is gone and have high hopes for the new staff, but some of the things on here are insane. I expect any day to see thread stating that Dillion Bates will be a first round pick now that he’s got the right coach.

Except the statement really wasn't sarcastic. There are some that believe because Pruitt is from Bama that anything that comes out of his mouth is gospel.

A lot of this is lining up excuses for when next year is really really really bad. I thought we all were tired of excuses.

I don't agree that next year has to be bad. But that is going to take Pruitt giving some on what he would like to do and working with the talent that is available building the offense and defense around the talent.

If he doesn't I can see 8 possibly 9 losses and part of this fan base will be ready with the moving vans. The others will be making excuses. If the injuries continue - after his comments he will look like he don't have a clue either.

Quite frankly at time he comes off somewhat arrogant and stubborn. I think folks accept it from him, when they would not accept it from the previous coaches - only because he is southern.

You quoted “Bama sucks”. It was REALLY sarcastic. Since they don’t. It’s not always puzzles and innuendo on here. We can selectively skip the “always be solving” mindset. You piggybacked that to take a shot at a coach you don’t approve of. There’s no hard and set formula for what will or won’t work. “He needs to do this or” is for our personal usage. A loss is a loss. Some will see progress others will read failure. The truth becomes clear to everyone in due time. Until then, me saying “this means that or that means this” is an exercise in futility...same for you. :hi:

I almost found CJP's answer to the injury question comical because it was so simple and obvious. In so many words he said we have so many injuries because we are small, soft, and weak and we got beat down in a conference full of teams that are big, tough, and strong. Duh! We all knew this to be true but it was refreshing to hear the coach come out and state the obvious.

Right! Naming the problem correctly, out loud and in public is a good step in the right direction. The coach has character and shows leadership. That in itself is refreshing and encouraging.

When you only have a one on one drill (circle of life) you're less likely to get injured as no one other than your opponent is in the drill and can fall on you, cut you from behind, roll up on your ankle or knee, etc. Also usually in circle of life you just go until someone wins the match-up; the whistle usually gets blown before someone goes to the ground. CJP thinks the Vols probably got injured more by going totally live and blocking and especially tackling to the ground. Everyone did live drills and scrimmages back in the day. Now the athletes are just too big and strong to go live during practice. Now they just go thud which means you pop the ball carrier wrapping up but don't drive them to the ground. The NFL started practicing this way 20+ years ago - the thought was "I don't see us (our team) on our schedule".

Guys,

Butch was going all out on Friday before games. That is from a guy in the complex. Idiot

This is one of the most obvious things ever. I'm not 100% convinced on the contact thing. There are several NFL coaches that are very successful and they admit to running more physical training camps than most.
As a former strength and conditioning guy, that is the biggest reason to me. Our guys just are not strong enough. I'd be interested to see what the former staff's regimen consisted of. One thing I would always point out to my friends is the size and physicality of Alabama. They have power players and play power football. More of that can't be a bad thing.

Training camp and in season practices are two different things and I know you know that. Problem was Butch didn’t. You are right about our guys lack of strength as well.

Can’t say I have. I’ve seen pass rush drills involving hoops, but I’m not familiar with the “circle”. If the name comes to you, let me know. Always interested in non contact tackling drills.
It's called a circle wheel... Google it so you can see it... It helps with angle tackling. I could explain it all but it would be much easier to just youtube seahawk tackling. It helps a lot. Also anything that eric berry does or just show his highlights... Best tackler in the NFL. I don't even think it's close.

We gonna play flag football... small guys with speed will exceed. Wegonwhipdeyazz.

VN Store

Back