Won't be practicing on the ground no more

What exactly does he mean by "practicing on the ground"? It's not completely clear to me.

Regardless, there's definitely something to the idea that our practice habits are a reason for injuries. It seems like we lost an abnormally large number of players from injuries in practice over the past two seasons. Particularly true for the DL and OL where practice injuries were happening all the time.

Reactions: 11 people
What exactly does he mean by "practicing on the ground"? It's not completely clear to me.

Regardless, there's definitely something to the idea that our practice habits are a reason for injuries. It seems like we lost an abnormally large number of players from injuries in practice over the past two seasons. Particularly true for the DL and OL where practice injuries were happening all the time.

I think he’s saying injuries won’t be as widespread.

Good question. What I think he was saying, is that the style of scrimmage in practice needs to change, so there's fewer knock-downs therefore less chance of players falling or piling onto each other on the ground...

But this was only one of several factors he mentioned as contributing to the excessive injury rate. It's also (and I'm more or less paraphrasing here) "we're a small team... it's a big man's game", and "strength and conditioning is a year-round thing and has to continue throughout the offseason".

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

Maybe that "Circle of Life" crap is a little '80s.

Reactions: 13 people

Learn how to thud practice instead of taking players to ground all the time....people hurt knees,roll ankles etc by doing take down tackling vs thurs...sounds odd but it's worked for bama so gonna trust coaches

Reactions: 11 people

He means we won’t be taking players to the ground. When tackling we will just “thud” up. Most teams take guys to the ground in practice very rarely.

Reactions: 1 person
Learn how to thud practice instead of taking players to ground all the time....people hurt knees,roll ankles etc by doing take down tackling vs thurs...sounds odd but it's worked for bama so gonna trust coaches

NFL teams do the same. They just thud up. No actual live tackling.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I have had a theory, especially concerning our offensive line, that a big part of our problem has been our scheme. We have run, what appears to me, a read and react scheme. This puts our players in a position of always being on their heels and losing leverage.

sumo.gif

Reactions: 15 people
In 2013, I thought Butch walked into a tough situation and he did. Dooleys disastrous 2012 recruiting class and losing to UK was bad. Honestly though, I didnt think it could get worse.

I was wrong.

I believe Butch has left this program in worse shape than Dooley did. And Pruitts statements here reinforces my opinion. We have a small football team and we need to teach our guys how to practice tell me all I need to know.

Reactions: 21 people

Prolly don’t tackle to the ground. Try to conserve hits.

When you only have a one on one drill (circle of life) you're less likely to get injured as no one other than your opponent is in the drill and can fall on you, cut you from behind, roll up on your ankle or knee, etc. Also usually in circle of life you just go until someone wins the match-up; the whistle usually gets blown before someone goes to the ground. CJP thinks the Vols probably got injured more by going totally live and blocking and especially tackling to the ground. Everyone did live drills and scrimmages back in the day. Now the athletes are just too big and strong to go live during practice. Now they just go thud which means you pop the ball carrier wrapping up but don't drive them to the ground. The NFL started practicing this way 20+ years ago - the thought was "I don't see us (our team) on our schedule".

Reactions: 5 people
In 2013, I thought Butch walked into a tough situation and he did. Dooleys disastrous 2012 recruiting class and losing to UK was bad. Honestly though, I didnt think it could get worse.

I was wrong.

I believe Butch has left this program in worse shape than Dooley did. And Pruitts statements here reinforces my opinion. We have a small football team and we need to teach our guys how to practice tell me all I need to know.

Dooley left us with a pretty good offensive line and an excellent line coach, only for Butch to fire him. Dooley never went 0-8 in the SEC. Enough said.

Reactions: 22 people

I was wrong.

Yep

Reactions: 3 people

I was wrong.

Agree. Will just add that the worst thing Jones did was poison the culture the last 2-3 seasons. I think he improved it early on, in years 1 and 2, perhaps even year 3. But by year 4, in 2016, you could tell that there were major issues with culture, leadership and chemistry by how undisciplined the team played....tons of penalties, turnovers and attitudes. And of course last year, without Dobbs, Barnett, Sutton and few others, the dam broke and we reaped what Lyle had sown.

The great thing is, Pruitt has only been around winning programs, championship winning programs.....he knows what it’s supposed to look like, whereas Lyle coming from Central Michigan and Cincy has no idea. I’m gonna 100% trust CJP until he shows me my trust is misplaced.....hopefully that won’t happen.

Reactions: 10 people

Back in my day it was bull in the ring. One man in the middle surrounded by six players. Coach would assign numbers to each of the six. When it started, he'd call out numbers. That player would charge the bull. If the bull was too slow he got the sheet knocked out of him.

Reactions: 4 people
Georgie costanza

giphy.gif

Reactions: 5 people
Back in my day it was bull in the ring. One man in the middle surrounded by six players. Coach would assign numbers to each of the six. When it started, he'd call out numbers. That player would charge the bull. If the bull was too slow he got the sheet knocked out of him.

Yeah. Then they discovered concussions lol.

I am too young to remember, but my dad said very few people didn't get decleated on his team at some point during the drill.

I have had a theory, especially concerning our offensive line, that a big part of our problem has been our scheme. We have run, what appears to me, a read and react scheme. This puts our players in a position of always being on their heels and losing leverage.

View attachment 153693
Ah, I see....so what you're saying is we're the little sumo guy in this gif?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

It's just odd to me how we went from a very tough and physical team in '15 to a team that is soft and injured in '16 and '17. Whatever Butch did it was the wrong move.

VN Store

Back