WNBA/Training Camps/ Pro LVs

There are a handful of star players in the league that are marketable. I don't think that's as much of a big deal for the fringe players. If it was, then Te'a Cooper and DiDi Richards would both still be in the league. Both of them went from starter or key rotation player to out of the league in a hurry.

Davis was a solid all around player, but needed next level development that the league just isn't willing to do yet. I think your observation about her speed was more of a factor than her lack of presence on TikTok.

I actually wasn't talking about Tik Tok or social media, but just general interpersonal skills. I suspect there's more "which players like/get along with each other better" than probably is a factor in the NBA.

To my eye, Horston doesn't have as much lateral quickness as she could to make me feel more confident she'll last a long time at this level, either. She has developed better body control, but I still see a slight "lopiness" in her movements sometimes. On a sprint she can build up speed and get down the court pretty well, but significant quickness? Not quite there.

One thing Jordan will have at the pro level that she didn't always have at Tennessee are more teammates who are ready for, and can catch and hold on to, her passes. She'll have fewer passing turnovers because, for the most part, there are better hands in the W. Bigtime plus for Jordy. Another plus for Jordy is her genuinely humble and grateful personality and her willingness to play any role necessary. She will give her all, and every coach and GM values kids like that.

To my eye, Horston doesn't have as much lateral quickness as she could to make me feel more confident she'll last a long time at this level, either. She has developed better body control, but I still see a slight "lopiness" in her movements sometimes. On a sprint she can build up speed and get down the court pretty well, but significant quickness? Not quite there.

One thing Jordan will have at the pro level that she didn't always have at Tennessee are more teammates who are ready for, and can catch and hold on to, her passes. She'll have fewer passing turnovers because, for the most part, there are better hands in the W. Bigtime plus for Jordy. Another plus for Jordy is her genuinely humble and grateful personality and her willingness to play any role necessary. She will give her all, and every coach and GM values kids like that.
The people on here won’t like this post.

Not seeing that. Jordan is a rangy 6-2 guard. Sure, if she gets matched up against 5'8 speed demon she might have a little trouble but only if she gets too tight. And she can close fast on a perimeter shooter, She has a good low defensive stance and is very explosive. She is akso a very physical player which will bode well at the next level. My main concern is that JH needs a consistent mid range game. She is probably not going to shoot a lot but she has to be able make the shots she does take a high %.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'm most heartbroken for Rennia Davis. She can play, but I suspect her extremely low-key personality puts her at a disadvantage.

To my eye, Horston doesn't have as much lateral quickness as she could to make me feel more confident she'll last a long time at this level, either. She has developed better body control, but I still see a slight "lopiness" in her movements sometimes. On a sprint she can build up speed and get down the court pretty well, but significant quickness? Not quite there

giphy.gif

The WNBA is just an exclusive club, it should be hard to become a pro, u have to be the elite of the elite. nothing is given, but everything is earned.
I agree..she probably just feeling a lil hurt expansion is needed we ALL know that but calling out the ppl that’s been hooping and then you got ppl that don’t really watch chiming in it doesn’t look good

I agree..she probably just feeling a lil hurt expansion is needed we ALL know that but calling out the ppl that’s been hooping and then you got ppl that don’t really watch chiming in it doesn’t look good
Yea I don’t think she cares, she’s saying she wants to go overseas to make the money anyway.

Wnba commissioner is slow in expanding new team. Drake begged to have a team in Canada and I see no reason she couldn't make it happen. And, she couldn't even extend the roster to 14 players.

Would it shock anyone if league eventually folded,I know it's been around a long time but with no expansion of teams and salaries are horrible.Lets be honest not a lot of people watch the WNBA summer is Baseball and Tennis and Golf on television.

Reactions: Raebo
If there were lots of rich folk lining up to own WNBA teams, the commissioner would no doubt be all over it. People often sound like they think the commish is dragging her feet and/or is somehow resistant to the idea of expansion. I imagine she’d be thrilled if the league doubled in size if there were actually entities wanting to spend their money on having a team.

Would it shock anyone if league eventually folded,I know it's been around a long time but with no expansion of teams and salaries are horrible.Lets be honest not a lot of people watch the WNBA summer is Baseball and Tennis and Golf on television.
The issue is not expansion, it’s getting support. I don’t see women supporting it at all, like I said before I see more women at NBA games instead of WNBA games. Maybe promoting college stars more will get more eyes on the WNBA once they get there. And also the self promotion as well, even though some people on here don’t like it.

Wings waive former No. 1 overall pick Collier
Charli Collier is not happy. Says she had all positive feedback until suddenly when Diamond D went out they needed a wing instead of her. Bye bye. Coach responds stay positive and maybe we'll pick you up later. Says Collier should definitely be in the league - just not on her team.

The Wings are keeping Sanchel, who didn't participate in training camp and will miss the first six weeks. Doesn't the W have an injured reserve list that frees a roster spot temporarily? Dallas also kept Ashley Joens and Maddy Seigrest from this yr's draft class.

Revealing bit of info on the '21 draft - 2 seasons later only 3 first round draftees are still in the W - #2,#3, and #12. It's just tough all over.

The WNBA is in the best shape it has ever been in, though it could still be better. salaries are up (but could be better)

Ratings and attendance have been up over the last two seasons and it looks pretty likely that the league will expand with a new team in Toronto in 2025 and maybe one more.

It seems like you have to be really outstanding at something to stick in the league. Jordan is going to hang her hat on being a lock down defender and rebounder. Essentially, the Dennis Rodman model with more passing and scoring capacity. I think that is a good formula for her.

Absolutely and to be quite frank she will make a better pro than college player those measurable u cant teach but again same thing i thought about rennia davis, horston does other thing at a very high level tho

The issue is not expansion, it’s getting support. I don’t see women supporting it at all, like I said before I see more women at NBA games instead of WNBA games. Maybe promoting college stars more will get more eyes on the WNBA once they get there. And also the self promotion as well, even though some people on here don’t like it.

The issue is the product sucks so no one cares. And I say that as a women's basketball fan, so I know the casual sports fan doesn't give a crap.

And there is ZERO reason for the WNBA draft to be more than one round...

The issue is the product sucks so no one cares. And I say that as a women's basketball fan, so I know the casual sports fan doesn't give a crap.

And there is ZERO reason for the WNBA draft to be more than one round...
It’s just not fun to watch, I do watch my girl Candace, but that’s about it. One round would actually be better, and the rest can go to try outs.

The WNBA is in the best shape it has ever been in, though it could still be better. salaries are up (but could be better)

Ratings and attendance have been up over the last two seasons and it looks pretty likely that the league will expand with a new team in Toronto in 2025 and maybe one more.
As noted in prior comment from another poster,more women watch NBA than WNBA and if product is so good why doesn't they have a set TV deal with a major network.ESPN has them because they have to show something during summer oh yes it's on ION this year that channel is watched a lot

Reactions: DarkPhoenix
Not seeing that. Jordan is a rangy 6-2 guard. Sure, if she gets matched up against 5'8 speed demon she might have a little trouble but only if she gets too tight. And she can close fast on a perimeter shooter, She has a good low defensive stance and is very explosive. She is akso a very physical player which will bode well at the next level. My main concern is that JH needs a consistent mid range game. She is probably not going to shoot a lot but she has to be able make the shots she does take a high %.

Jordan's genuine desire to give her ALL to her coaches, her team and the folks who support her makes up for most of any shortcoming in the muscle twitch rate ratio she may or may not have, so my hope is that this young empathetic soul will have a long, happy, successful career as a pro. And after her playing days are over, I hope she'll be blessed with a spot along the sidelines of The Summitt.

Reactions: Lucy and chuckiepoo
As far as the WNBA in general, my feeling, sadly, is that young girls may need to fundamentally re-think their dreams as far as what their lives could be if only they work hard enough to get drafted into the WNBA. I have a feeling that a major shift in reality has occurred, and that, going forward, the W will be far less "the dream" it once was. This change has been steadily building over the last 5-8 years, but this year it seems to have taken full hold.

The WNBA is at a major crossroads. Unfortunately, its main roadblock to success is literally thousands of years of fully-ingrained sexism and the desire of too many women to take on the attitudes of their men in order to be attractive partners. This, IMO, is more the reason more women don't better support women's sports than anything else, and so that's why this whole damn thing is so depressing. Same dynamic usually prevails in politics.

That and the absolute FACT that the overwhelming, by FAR, majority of the media figures making daily decisions about what is and isn't worthy of coverage/attention is about 80/20 run by men -- and many of THOSE are, unfortunately, inherently sexist. I speak from nearly a half-century of experience in this field.

So what we have is not as easy as easy to pinpoint as "nobody cares about the WNBA," but is, in reality, more that "the men typically running the show have their unspoken rules as to what they do and do not see as important/watchable" based on their personal desires to remain true and respected and relevant among their majority-male peer groups, and that every decision regarding coverage, every printed/posted commentary, every conversation both public and private, is a result of that unspoken, inherently awful and sexist bias. There is bias amid even those who truly want NOT to be biased, but thousands of years of ingrained bias is not easily overcome.

IMO, women's sports viewership suffers predominantly from lack of connection to fans who bother to get to know the players as people, and also that (heterosexual) female viewers are often tacitly discouraged from supporting women's sports by their male partners who are the typical "neckbeards" or are (usually unbeknownst to themselves) often incredibly so insecure in their own masculinity that they go way overboard in diminishing female athletic pursuits.

These are often the trolls who show up in threads only to proudly state that "nobody cares," or ""women's basketball sucks," or some such. *yawn*

B!tch, please. Just figure out your masculinity issues without having to be publicly performative for approval/affirmation. Thanks so much.

If there were fewer dominant males strongly influencing what is, and isn't, appropriate for women to enjoy/support, women's sports would have a bigger piece of the cultural pie. Even more pressing, if more women weren't so effing hellbent on capitulating to the attitudes of their insecure men the entire PLANET would be better off!

Just sayin'.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back