Will Rick Barnes get us to a Final 4

Final 4

• Yes

Votes: 60 19.5%
  • No

Votes: 248 80.5%

• Total voters
Bruce Pearl couldn’t develop shooters either when he was here. He got lucky to inherit some.

Bruce Pearl couldn’t develop shooters either when he was here. He got lucky to inherit some.

Pearl inherited a pretty good roster from Peterson.

It wasn’t great but far from a dumpster fire.

I think any coach would have been lucky to inherit a guy like Lofton who could go off from three at any time.

The bigger question is who replaces Barnes when his contract expires at the end of the 2024 season.

I think White will have his pick of coaches to choose from as Barnes tries to load the cupboard with top flight talent for his successor.

The bigger question is who replaces Barnes when his contract expires at the end of the 2024 season.

I think White will have his pick of coaches to choose from as Barnes tries to load the cupboard with top flight talent for his successor.

Probably a young coach from some mid major school.

Reactions: Flovol
I voted No. I love Rick Barnes but if we haven’t gotten there as a program by now then we probably never will. Our best chance was the year Loyola made their run. We were finally in a region where all the big upsets were happening and we also had a great team. Unfortunately, Kyle Alexander wasn’t able to play and Loyola took our Final 4 run.

I think it’s possible that he gets maybe a 2-3 year extension after that depending on how the next few years go. It’s not unlikely for a coach to continue to coach through their mid 70s.

Pearl inherited a pretty good roster from Peterson.

It wasn’t great but far from a dumpster fire.

I think any coach would have been lucky to inherit a guy like Lofton who could go off from three at any time.
Wasnt great? CJ Watson, Lofton, Smith, Wingate. And Dane Bradshaw ended up being a very important part of those early teams. That’s like the opposite of a dumpster fire.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards

I hope he keeps an eye on
Forbes- Wake Forest( lets see what he does there)
Shay- ETSU
Wes Miller- UNCG
Kim English- George Mason
Porter Moser- Loyola( make him say no)
Im sure there will be a few more names that appear between now and then but that would be my short list for now.

I hope he keeps an eye on
Forbes- Wake Forest( lets see what he does there)
Shay- ETSU
Wes Miller- UNCG
Kim English- George Mason
Porter Moser- Loyola( make him say no)
Im sure there will be a few more names that appear between now and then but that would be my short list for now.
Moser will get his chance at a big time program before then, might be after this year. Heard Indiana might be interested

Wasnt great? CJ Watson, Lofton, Smith, Wingate. And Dane Bradshaw ended up being a very important part of those early teams. That’s like the opposite of a dumpster fire.

That’s kind of my point.

Pearl did some great things but it’s not like he inherited a terrible situation.

Barnes inherited a below average roster with a couple of decent players. Not to mention coming off NCAA sanctions due to Tyndall.

That’s kind of my point.

Pearl did some great things but it’s not like he inherited a terrible situation.

Barnes inherited a below average roster with a couple of decent players. Not to mention coming off NCAA sanctions due to Tyndall.

We were not on NCAA sanctions due to Tyndall. All his violations were at Southern Miss. His penalty was ridiculous, especially in light of Jim Boeheim and multiple North Carolina coaches skating for worse academic scandals over a longer time frame.

That's why ADs observe the NCAA tourney each year.

Barnes' teams are too one dimensional on offense such that the scheme can be defended successfully with adjustments and the defense is all man to man such that the team is out of gas at the end of the season, struggling in the SEC and NCAA tournaments and no way to last deep into either tournament

History says there are two chances. 1) The tourney begins the season instead of ending it. Few coaches have their teams playing better early than RB. 2) He continues to sign 5 n 4 * s until they make up the entire roster, then gets outta the way, and lets them play in March. If he's coaching in March, history says no.

As long as the one and done rule exsits nope - If Springer and Keon come back and add Chandler, a decent center and a couple decent 3 point shooters then there is a good chance

giphy.gif

He has made it to the Sweet 16 just 1 time in the past 13 seasons.

As we know, coach Barnes gets a ton of criticism for his tournament resume. He did get Texas to a Final 4, so I'm curious do you think he will ever get us to one before he hangs it up?
With all the years and all the various coaches, UT has never made a final 4. On top of that, consider Barnes teams history of late season fades and early exits. What makes you entertain the notion that Rick Barnes is going to be the first at UT to do it?

With all the years and all the various coaches, UT has never made a final 4. On top of that, consider Barnes teams history of late season fades and early exits. What makes you entertain the notion that Rick Barnes is going to be the first at UT to do it?
Also consider that even a nobody like Loyola made it to the F4 through Rick Barnes.

The best we can hope for is Barnes getting another great assistant coach in here, keep the culture he has built, and keep trying to get good to great talent, and have no real drop off until a new coach comes in and takes over at some point. Basically, what I'm saying is keep the program stabilized until it's time for another coach. 😁

My son told me several years ago that none of Barnes's NCAA teams have ever beaten their seeding. However-
I have not researched it.

VN Store

Back