Wildcat formation???

A while back I suggested a wildcat formation for Milton and you woulda thought I hurt an innocent puppy. I still think it would work
Why in the heck would you replace Hooker with Milton? What advantage is there to it? It slows down tempo and you’re replacing the better thrower, runner, and decision maker.

We lack depth at RB and our starting QB is a better runner than our backup. So the wildcat doesn’t make much sense to us.

Only way we could do it is to snap straight to Squirrel or Calloway. Squirrel they’re wanting to learn the slot first so there’s no reason to take away from his focus there and Calloway lives in the doghouse it seems

A while back I suggested a wildcat formation for Milton and you woulda thought I hurt an innocent puppy. I still think it would work
The respect and attention Milton will command from opposing Defensive Coordinators went up exponentially with those two „effortless“ flicks of the wrist against Akron. Even bringing in Milton for a single snap would throw the opponent‘s game plan into chaos. It might even result in a time out being burned

Why in the heck would you replace Hooker with Milton? What advantage is there to it? It slows down tempo and you’re replacing the better thrower, runner, and decision maker.
I wouldn’t REPLACE Hooker with Milton. But I would consider bringing him in for an unexpected snap or two. Keep the Defense guessing. A guy who can easily throw an accurate deep ball 65 yards through the air combined with the speed some of our wideouts have presents some „unique“ challenges for coverage plans

Reactions: Holys#!tVol1979
Some people think we should use Milton like UF used Tebow his freshman year. Problem is, Milton has not shown the physicality running the ball that is required for running the wildcat. Yes, he's huge, but there is more to running physically than being big. I don't know if Fant would be a good option, but he is the only one on Offense I could think of. Jeremy Banks is the most obvious answer, imo, to running the wildcat, but I'm not sure you want him causing extra collisions unless you are comfortable with our LB depth.
💯

Also remember that Banks started out playing running back. There’s a reason he’s a linebacker now.

Would it work with our offense if we used it from time to time? And for those that know a little more about the x's and o's please explain how we'd pull it off! Just curious because we have had success in past years with it!
Sure it can. It's just hat on a hat, 11 vs 11 truly.

So many ways to run that.
You could motion shift the formation and have HH split to the slot and Princeton Fant shift to wildcat... and just use his 240 lbs body to run right at the defense.

I hate this. Why not yell across the LOS "this is gonna be a run up the gut"?

Because it gives you so many options. Power lead play up the middle, QB sneak, play action bootleg, play action TE seam, fullback trap, ext. I see no reason to snap the ball 7 yards behind the LOS when you only need 1 or 2 yards.

Reactions: VFL_Hammer
I member when a poster suggested putting Evan Berry in as a wildcat on scoring situations. Which removed a gifted runner who could pass like a QB…which he was!

Seriously? Milton in the wildcat? Absolutely horrible idea. Not that we plan to run the wildcat, but if we did; Jimmy Holiday would probably get the first look.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Wildcat formation is really dumb. Other posters have already noted it, but the formation fools no one as it is quite literally almost always a standard run play. When the wildcat first got adopted, I saw some more creativity and occasionally passes, but that really doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. It’s a waste of a down unless you have an elite OL because the defense clearly knows what you’re about to do.

I prefer mixing in more of the speed option we saw last week in the red zone. That would be far more useful to adopt more of in our offense. The wildcat is stupid.

Why would we need to run a wildcat? Hooker is a more than capable runner, that can also pass the ball as well as anyone in the nation.

You could just do a QB power or a QB draw if you wanted to run the "wildcat." It's really no different. Putting Milton in there makes no difference as he's not as good as Hooker at running the ball.

That is obviously an assessment the staff would have to make. But I would prefer Milton take hits in those game situations over Hooker. Don't know how many plays he has been asked to get the tough yards since assuming the backup role. I don't want to see Hooker on down the line options against SEC caliber defenses. I have hoped 7 could be used in 4 minute drills and short yardage situations to see what his abilities are in that area. It would make the defenses use a little more restraint when he is out there. Would love to see him do the Condredge roll, back up and chunk it series with our receivers 5 yards behind the defense 60+ yards down the field and he can get it there with little more than a wrist flip. I don't think I have seen a prettier more accuraate ball than his long one last week in a long time.

Wildcat formation is really dumb. Other posters have already noted it, but the formation fools no one as it is quite literally almost always a standard run play. When the wildcat first got adopted, I saw some more creativity and occasionally passes, but that really doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. It’s a waste of a down unless you have an elite OL because the defense clearly knows what you’re about to do.

I prefer mixing in more of the speed option we saw last week in the red zone. That would be far more useful to adopt more of in our offense. The wildcat is stupid.

How many times did the wildcat “jump pass” beat Tennessee? I agree it’s worn out and Tennessee doesent need it but stranger things have happened

Has any Wildcat “qb” ever handed the ball off in the history of the play? 🤣🤣🤣 D always knows what’s coming!!!

How many times did the wildcat “jump pass” beat Tennessee? I agree it’s worn out and Tennessee doesent need it but stranger things have happened

That’s my point though. How often do we actually see the jump pass or something other than a run now? Feels like hardly ever. I know I certainly don’t remember us using it. For that reason alone, the wildcat package is dumb if there is no creativity to it.

Would it work with our offense if we used it from time to time? And for those that know a little more about the x's and o's please explain how we'd pull it off! Just curious because we have had success in past years with it!
Don't be ridiculous!!

With Hooker on the field there is much unknown, but with a wildcat formation there isn't much unknown; the D knows he is gonna run it. Not to mention Hooker is as good of a runner as any of our RB's.

With Hooker at QB there’s no real need to line up in wildcat. The only exception would be on extremely short yardage where we snap it to our big back - oh wait, we don’t have one of those…so I’d just snap to Hooker and keep the full playbook in play. On the short yardage plays we’re more in need of a good lead blocker than a wildcat formation IMO.

VN Store

Back