Wildcat formation???

Holys#!tVol1979

Would it work with our offense if we used it from time to time? And for those that know a little more about the x's and o's please explain how we'd pull it off! Just curious because we have had success in past years with it!

Reactions: LittleVol
Wildcat formation describes a formation for the offense in football in which the ball is snapped not to the quarterback but directly to a player of another position lined up at the quarterback position. (In most systems, this is a running back, but some playbooks have the wide receiver, fullback, or tight end taking the snap.) The Wildcat features an unbalanced offensive line and looks to the defense like a sweep behind zone blocking. A player moves across the formation prior to the snap. However, once this player crosses the position of the running back who will receive the snap, the play develops unlike the sweep.

I don't think the traditional wildcat will be any advantage to us with a great QB that can run in Hooker. Perhaps Hooker and Milton on the field at the same time would be an interesting wrinkle to pursue.

Wildcat formation describes a formation for the offense in football in which the ball is snapped not to the quarterback but directly to a player of another position lined up at the quarterback position. (In most systems, this is a running back, but some playbooks have the wide receiver, fullback, or tight end taking the snap.) The Wildcat features an unbalanced offensive line and looks to the defense like a sweep behind zone blocking. A player moves across the formation prior to the snap. However, once this player crosses the position of the running back who will receive the snap, the play develops unlike the sweep.

I don't think the traditional wildcat will be any advantage to us with a great QB that can run in Hooker. Perhaps Hooker and Milton on the field at the same time would be an interesting wrinkle to pursue.

Some people think we should use Milton like UF used Tebow his freshman year. Problem is, Milton has not shown the physicality running the ball that is required for running the wildcat. Yes, he's huge, but there is more to running physically than being big. I don't know if Fant would be a good option, but he is the only one on Offense I could think of. Jeremy Banks is the most obvious answer, imo, to running the wildcat, but I'm not sure you want him causing extra collisions unless you are comfortable with our LB depth.

Would it work with our offense if we used it from time to time? And for those that know a little more about the x's and o's please explain how we'd pull it off! Just curious because we have had success in past years with it!

Maybe use Sampson in the wildcat in hurry up designed QB runs. Don't give their defense any time to adjust though ofcourse when he is coming in. Has to be very fast to work well.

It's not the wildcat if it's the actual qb. Why replace Hooker with Milton to run it?
Whatever you wanna call it. Just somethin to get him out there. I’m not saying pull hooker in a tight game just so we can run a couple plays with Joe. But would like to see more of what he can do. He seems to be much improved

Who is taking the snap?

RB depth sounds sketchy with them naming Fant an emergency RB this week.

Tillman is iffy so you don't want him taking shots as a RB I wouldnt think.

Also think if you line a non QB up taking the snap you can telegraph your intentions to the defense.

Why would we need to run a wildcat? Hooker is a more than capable runner, that can also pass the ball as well as anyone in the nation.

You could just do a QB power or a QB draw if you wanted to run the "wildcat." It's really no different. Putting Milton in there makes no difference as he's not as good as Hooker at running the ball.

I hate the Wildcat formation. It rarely gets decent yardage, and it's an obvious run 99% of the time. Rarely does anyone pass from it, and it doesn't seem to work too well unless you're in a goal-line situation, and even then, guys get stuffed at the line too often. I'd just rather keep with what we know works.

Why ? Our offense is doing just fine. Why do we need a gimmick to interrupt the rhythm of our current offense. Just execute and don't mess with that stuff.

Who is taking the snap?

RB depth sounds sketchy with them naming Fant an emergency RB this week.

Tillman is iffy so you don't want him taking shots as a RB I wouldnt think.

Also think if you line a non QB up taking the snap you can telegraph your intentions to the defense.

Tilman won't be playing at all based on what I've heard.

I say to put our most dynamic playmaker back there a few times if we are going to do it which seems to be Sampson.

Last edited:
Whatever you wanna call it. Just somethin to get him out there. I’m not saying pull hooker in a tight game just so we can run a couple plays with Joe. But would like to see more of what he can do. He seems to be much improved
It's called playing 2nd half, 2nd possession while being up big.

I don't see the point in putting your backup QB in for a trick play that could get him hurt. Now if we were playing for a NC then through any and everything out there to win.

Only way it would make a difference from Hooker to someone else would be to use the speed of Hyatt or White as anyone else would run no better than Hooker could run. Makes no sense at all to replace Hooker with Milton on any play other than mop up or in case of injury.

"Squirrel Formation" - Triple Option with Squirrel at HB and Milton at FB. Squirrel gets the pitch, laterals across the field to Milton, who hits Hooker down the seam. (blue font)

Reactions: Holys#!tVol1979
Tilman won't be playing at all based on what I've heard.

I say to put out most dynamic playmaker back there a few times if we are going to do it which seems to be Sampson.

Agree Sampson is looking good but the level of competition steps up exponentially this week.

Also not sure I would want a true freshman doing something he may not be accustomed to or practiced in a huge conference game.

Think you roll the dice with your proven players and let Hooker run a few more sprint options and get the same effect as running wild cat with a non QB.

Just my take.

I hate the Wildcat formation. It rarely gets decent yardage, and it's an obvious run 99% of the time. Rarely does anyone pass from it, and it doesn't seem to work too well unless you're in a goal-line situation, and even then, guys get stuffed at the line too often. I'd just rather keep with what we know works.

The novelty of surprise is gone. It’s was effective for about 3 seasons 10-15 years ago. Since then I’ve rarely seen it gain more than a couple yards.

Agree Sampson is looking good but the level of competition steps up exponentially this week.

Also not sure I would want a true freshman doing something he may not be accustomed to or practiced in a huge conference game.

Think you roll the dice with your proven players and let Hooker run a few more sprint options and get the same effect as running wild cat with a non QB.

Just my take.

Agree with you for the most part. Also, i still do not understand why Sampson has not received more touches against our cupcakes before heading into SEC play.

A while back I suggested a wildcat formation for Milton and you woulda thought I hurt an innocent puppy. I still think it would work
Milton is big but he hasn't shown me that he is a particularly effective runner.

But a wildcat offense would only mesh with our hurry up offense if it used the players on the field and shifted into a formation with a new guy at QB. Hooker making the read on the option seems like at least as good of a choice as any other player at QB committed to the run.

VN Store

Back