Why was 2009 a bust?

Surely you get the point. Never in the history of football has Utah's recruiting class come close to Alabama's. I was just using last season for dramatic effect.

Yeah, I do. Just the example didnt quite work, cause they were playing Bama's like 15th and 18th or whatever the earlier ones were.

But I completely agree that a good coach can turn a team around or bring a team together to beat a team much more talented athleticly than they are. That said, I dont expect any dramatic change next season

Kiffin cusses from what my sources say...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

There are some people that are just simply impossible to please....or should I rephrase...there are some VOL FANS that are impossible to please. If anyone expect Coach Kiff to come in and have a top 5-10 class after only being on the job for 2 months, they need to crawl back under the rock they came from.

I guess for me, it's more to do with the fact that he told guys to take a hike. You sign, what, 18 kids? What is wrong with taking Boyd or Thigpen with such a small class? It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING

Geez, some of you people kill me. Saying that this class is a bust, or that Kiffin sucks at recruiting, or whatever is like an 2-9 NFL team firing its coach, and then deciding that the interim guy sucks because he only went 2-3 in the last five games. This is a terrible team that just fired its whole coaching staff. Expecting the new guys to walk in and, with only six weeks on the job, steal all the best recruits away from Saban and Meyer and Richt is unreasonable.

If we're sitting here next year with a disappointing class, then bitch away. But until there's sufficient evidence to declare that these guys are failures, then why be choose to be miserable ahead of time? Some of you guys sound like my wife when she was pregnant.

I don't like getting caught up in the recruiting hoopla too much because it's a bunch of kid's.

But living in Memphis I've heard a lot about Marlon Brown. Listening to Kiffin the day he was hired talk about locking the state down and leaving that night to meet his top recruit in Memphis got my attention.

I'm not ready to sail Kiffin down the river by any stretch, but losing Brown has a load of recruiting failure stink all over it.

Man your about to get a butt load of:

1. They didn't have time
2. Quality over quantity (what a crock)
3. They are only going after the top talent (another crock)
4. They wanted to make room for a bigger class next year
5. A myriad of other excuses that would in no way cast a negative shadow on Kiffin

Ok then recruiting guru, you tell us the real reason why.

I don't like getting caught up in the recruiting hoopla too much because it's a bunch of kid's.

But living in Memphis I've heard a lot about Marlon Brown. Listening to Kiffin the day he was hired talk about locking the state down and leaving that night to meet his top recruit in Memphis got my attention.

I'm not ready to sail Kiffin down the river by any stretch, but losing Brown has a load of recruiting failure stink all over it.

Eric Gordon and Teague for this year, and Smith for next year. He's doing fine with the in state talent, and it will only continue to get better.

True,but Auburn's staff had even less time together,is doing a better job than we are.

I wouldn't say they are doing a better job. They might have signed more but are they any better?

Lame . You wouldn't have called Fulmer's class a failure when he didn't sign Brown. Cause he wasn't going to sign him either.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what your saying is that the Staff at Auburn is obviously better at building relationships with potential recruits much better than our $5mil plus staff?

And just for kickers they did it with less time than we did. So far they are ranked at the #18 spot on rivals and we are down at #23.

But are those players really much, if any better than those we signed?

Did Auburn clean house completely like we did here?

It could be worse. Coach K did a good job, for what he had to work with.

The thing I think that killed us with a couple of higher profile was telling Tajh Boyd that he wouldn't fit. Sure, anyone can say "system" all they want, but it was made to sound like he wasn't really going to get a shot. Not to mention that he's the #5 overall quarterback on the screen each time it rolls by.

yeah, the guy that's been here for 3 months lost a kid to a coach that had been recuiting him for over a year.

epic failure there. :crazy:

i supposed getting Nu'kees Richardson and the safety from Atlanta , forget his name, were failures too?

Lame . You wouldn't have called Fulmer's class a failure when he didn't sign Brown. Cause he wasn't going to sign him either.

Get over yourself. Like I said - I don't care about calling the class a success or failure. But the guy missed his self proclaimed #1 target.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem was only having a staff in place for 2 months.

The problem was a piss-poor season last year.

The problem was an anemic offense with no help on the depth charts.

Jesus, why is this so hard to understand?

You hit most of the Major points. Most people don't realize how hard it is to get top recruiting classes at UT. Fulmer did better than than previous coaches but got lax in the end. No coach has ever closed up the state as TN has 3 distinct regions with Memphis being the least loyal, the hardest to capture and we usually loose top prospect from here.
The state as a whole is not as fertile in prospects as other SEC schools. So UT has to rely on out of state prospects. So UT is handy capped in some regards from the start.

2008 season with national televised games prospects seen how horrible our offensive Line and QB play were, thanks Clausen. So we had need at both these position and lost out on quality recruits that others noticed. This is why turning away top rated players early in the Kif & Co recruiting gave a bad perception to others and was fodder to recruiters. Thus we lose out on top notch Off recruits. Next year big name QB and Off line will be a must have.

Mack Brown at the other UT starts recruiting guys in the 6th grade so our coaches have lots of PR work to accomplish in areas we are going to concentrate. Stability in the program needs to happen then UT will become a contender once again. My educated guess it takes Kiffen 4 years. So fan Patience will be needed as well.

why does this guy start the dumbest threads?

Hope your brain doesnt hurt trying to think to hard.

1: Auburn had less time and put together a solid class
2: I wonder if the amount of NFL coaches we have, that havent recruited in a long time if ever, really know the tricks and tactics that some of the other coaches know.
3: Also, I wonder if the way that Kiffin recruited out in California is different than what works in the south.

Overall I am pleased that we got some of the players that we did and I believe we will adjust and have a top 10 class next year. However, being behind Florida, Georgia, USCe, Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU isnt good.

I believe that Lane and staff wont be outworked though.

Get over yourself. Like I said - I don't care about calling the class a success or failure. But the guy missed his self proclaimed #1 target.

"Get over yourself?" My post had no hints of me having some high opinion of myself. Just stating the facts that Fulmerites seem to ignore that this class is better than anything he would have assembled and it was an uphill battle considering the shambles Phil left the program in. But okay, I'll get over myself!

So what your saying is that the Staff at Auburn is obviously better at building relationships with potential recruits much better than our $5mil plus staff?

And just for kickers they did it with less time than we did. So far they are ranked at the #18 spot on rivals and we are down at #23.

Auburn average stars = 3.21
Tennessee average stars = 3.44

Auburn signed 28 players versus Tennessee's 18.... most of Auburn signees were 3 stars or lower as noted by their average.

yeah, the guy that's been here for 3 months lost a kid to a coach that had been recuiting him for over a year.

epic failure there. :crazy:

i supposed getting Nu'kees Richardson and the safety from Atlanta , forget his name, were failures too?

I guess I expected too much for a team of recruiting gurus to get their #1 target. My bad.

Put Brown and Richardson next to each other and tell me how that was an even trade in recruiting commits?

Auburn average stars = 3.21
Tennessee average stars = 3.44

Auburn signed 28 players versus Tennessee's 18.... most of Auburn signees were 3 stars or lower as noted by their average.

bingo. Auburn just threw out the net and reeled in whatever came running away from a future in juco.

it was a "perfect storm".....so now it is time to coach'em up.

I guess I expected too much for a team of recruiting gurus to get their #1 target. My bad.

Yeah, your bad. Brown wasn't even going to visit before Phil was fired. It's amazing Kiffin got him to come last weekend considering the mess Fulmer has caused.

I'm getting a little tired of the "fence-building" frame of mind.

If everyone in college football put up a fence, we'd never get to see some of the best players in the country perform. EVERY state is losing recruits to other schools, EVERY team is getting recruits from a more national perspective than ever before.

Just imagine if athletes were only allowed to play in their home states, Tennessee would be in a great deal of trouble. So just because we lose a few guys to other areas (Marlon Brown) so what? If the shoe was on the other foot and we couldn't snag people from California, Florida, Texas, etc. then we'd be in deep sh*t.

VN Store

Back