Why shouldn't College Coaches make the "Big Bucks"?

so TVA, you are ok with a world of about 40 different football teams battling it out year after year for D1 supremacy and the end of D1 basketball. not to mention the complete end of all other collegiate sports. that's not a world i want
You essentially have that right now anyways. What would be the difference?

i'm pretty sure i watched the college world series. i'm also pretty sure i saw some great track and field action that gives me faith in the future USA olympic team. I also saw lots of girls basketball, and millions of student athletes were given a chance at an education. even if they're sport was rowing. i don't think it's the same world at all. i also watched Appy St win their second straight title.

i'm pretty sure i watched the college world series. i'm also pretty sure i saw some great track and field action that gives me faith in the future USA olympic team. I also saw lots of girls basketball, and millions of student athletes were given a chance at an education. even if they're sport was rowing. i don't think it's the same world at all. i also watched Appy St win their second straight title.

Chump change...

The money all of those sports generate is like spitting in the ocean when you compare it to football/men's basketball.

The number brought up was $900 million. I would be surprised if all of those other sports combined bring in even 1 percent of that much in TV deals.

Chump change...

The money all of those sports generate is like spitting in the ocean when you compare it to football/men's basketball.

The number brought up was $900 million. I would be surprised if all of those other sports combined bring in even 1 percent of that much in TV deals.

um, are you not reading anything i write? you hit the nail on the head. thanks to football we get these sports. paying the football players takes all these sports away.

If everyone is able to profit off of your labor except you (the student athlete) then you are being exploited/used/ whatever...

The soccer player is profiting off of you. The volleyball player. The cross country runner. The football coach. The general scholarship fund. The buildings built on campus. You name it... it is OK for everyone to turn profit off of your labor. But don't you athletes try and take any endorsement money... or heaven forbid a "booster" gives you a $100 hand shake...
What I'm hearing from you is that the athletic endeavor is designed to be a selfish enterprise. Who ever gets busted for the legendary $100 handshake? It has happened but very rarely. I have to assume that you have never played a team sport. Maybe you are a tennis or golf player. "it is OK for everyone to turn profit off of your labor." Sorry but that attitude just sucks if you're involved in a team sport. Sorry hat and LG,but you aint a lawyer are ya?

um, are you not reading anything i write? you hit the nail on the head. thanks to football we get these sports. paying the football players takes all these sports away.

And you continue to make my point... everyone benefits from the football/basketball players except the players themselves. Give the players an opportunity to profit off of their talents while they are in school. Most of these guys will not make it to the professional level, so this will be their only opportunity to cash in on their brand.

If a cross country runner or swimmer wants to cash in on their talent, I see no problem with that, either.

What I'm hearing from you is that the athletic endeavor is designed to be a selfish enterprise. Who ever gets busted for the legendary $100 handshake? It has happened but very rarely. I have to assume that you have never played a team sport. Maybe you are a tennis or golf player. "it is OK for everyone to turn profit off of your labor." Sorry but that attitude just sucks if you're involved in a team sport. Sorry hat and LG,but you aint a lawyer are ya?

Spoken like a Communist...

And you continue to make my point... everyone benefits from the football/basketball players except the players themselves. Give the players an opportunity to profit off of their talents while they are in school. Most of these guys will not make it to the professional level, so this will be their only opportunity to cash in on their brand.

If a cross country runner or swimmer wants to cash in on their talent, I see no problem with that, either.

what you're failing to realize. well not really, you kinda overlook it. The cross country runner can't cash in on their talent. the football player gets something, just maybe not enough in your opinion.

what you're failing to realize. well not really, you kinda overlook it. The cross country runner can't cash in on their talent. the football player gets something, just maybe not enough in your opinion.

They don't get enough for what they bring in... now you are beginning to see my point.

You keep using the term "brand". I appologize for accusing you of being a lawyer. You're obviously a cowboy.

You keep using the term "brand". I appologize for accusing you of being a lawyer. You're obviously a cowboy.

It was taken from a quote on the first page of this topic...

Usually big colleges the money produced by Football trinkles down and goes to that schools other sports. I'm sure it doesn't cost peanuts to keep Neyland Stadium and TBA up and running either. There so many things that need money.

Paying the players is dumb. I saw in a article in USA Today that made agood point about College is when these players build their brand. (Mike Vick).

Plus their getting a education for free. Paying the players. Dumb.

They don't get enough for what they bring in... now you are beginning to see my point.

your point is pathetic. i'm telling you it's an impossible picture. football players get their education. everyone else gets their education and chance to play because of the money football brings in. there's only a handful of schools that can afford to "pay" these players. Tosu, Mich, PSU, FSU, WVU (maybe), UT, UF, UGA, Bama, Auburn, LSU, OU, Texas, ND, and USC. i maybe leaving some out, but very few. And even then once these schools pay these players, all other sports go out the window.

besides, by the university being endorsed by adidas or nike the players are given an entire wardrobe of clothes and shoes. plus they get a goodie bag that includes more stuff than i got for Christmas for making a bowl. They also get good eats on game day. it's not like they're living off ramen noodles and pizza rolls

your point is pathetic. i'm telling you it's an impossible picture. football players get their education. everyone else gets their education and chance to play because of the money football brings in. there's only a handful of schools that can afford to "pay" these players. Tosu, Mich, PSU, FSU, WVU (maybe), UT, UF, UGA, Bama, Auburn, LSU, OU, Texas, ND, and USC. i maybe leaving some out, but very few. And even then once these schools pay these players, all other sports go out the window.
Tell him bill, he ain't listening to me or anybody else.

and after all the other sports go out the window, title IX comes into play and football goes out the window.

-note, I think Title IX does have some good qualities and women deserve their chance.. don't think otherwise please.

and after all the other sports go out the window, title IX comes into play and football goes out the window.

-note, I think Title IX does have some good qualities and women deserve their chance.. don't think otherwise please.
You are right. Most of us male sports fans won't admit that title 9 is deserving, but any Vols fan that has watched the Lady Vols in the Final Four has to admit they were cheering their a$$ off...

You are right. Most of us male sports fans won't admit that title 9 is deserving, but any Vols fan that has watched the Lady Vols in the Final Four has to admit they were cheering their a$$ off...

as i said title IX has "some" good qualities. the fact that many schools get rid of male sports in order to become Title IX compliant seems to disrupt the true intention of Title IX IMO. men's cross country, gymnastics, swimming programs and other olympic sports are going out the window already because of lack of funds to keep the boy/girl proportions even. TVA's idea would just end it all.

All these guys look pretty well paid, and this is with out Saban's 4MM a year.
Look for Tressel to make a serious move if they beat Florida, his contract gets renegotiated if he wins a NC, not sure about Meyer, but he's probbaly got a similiar clause.

1 Oklahoma Bob Stoops $3,400,000 - National Champion
2 Notre Dame Charlie Weis $3,300,000
3 Iowa Kirk Ferentz $2,840,000
4 Southern California Pete Carroll $2,782,320- National Champion
5 Texas Mack Brown $2,664,000 - National Champion
6 Louisville Bobby Petrino $2,500,000
7 Auburn Tommy Tuberville $2,231,000
8 Tennessee Philip Fulmer $2,050,000 - National Champion
9 Ohio State Jim Tressel $2,012,700- National Champion
10 Texas A&M Dennis Franchione $2,012,200
11 Virginia Tech Frank Beamer $2,000,800
12 Florida Urban Meyer $2,000,000
13 Penn State Joe Paterno $2,000,000- National Champion
14 North Carolina Butch Davis $1,860,000
15 Virginia Al Groh $1,785,000
16 South Carolina Steve Spurrier $1,750,000- National Champion
17 West Virginia Rich Rodriguez $1,750,000
18 Georgia Mark Richt $1,713,000
19 Florida State Bobby Bowden $1,691,900- National Champion
20 Maryland Ralph Friedgen $1,691,864
21 Nebraska Bill Callahan $1,690,317
22 Texas Tech Mike Leach $1,600,000
23 California Jeff Tedford $1,505,300
24 Kansas Mark Mangino $1,501,241
25 Michigan Lloyd Carr $1,454,619- National Champion
26 LSU Les Miles $1,450,000
27 Washington Ty Willingham $1,414,772
28 Oregon Mike Bellotti $1,256,000
29 Fresno State Pat Hill $1,253,982
30 Illinois Ron Zook $1,241,750
31 Purdue Joe Tiller $1,217,742
32 Minnesota Glen Mason $1,210,000
33 Clemson Tommy Bowden $1,198,028
34 Baylor Guy Morriss $1,144,236
35 Iowa State Gene Chizik $1,125,000
36 South Florida Jim Leavitt $1,117,500
37 Michigan State Mark Dantonio $1,100,000
38 Colorado Dan Hawkins $1,098,500
39 Missouri Gary Pinkel $1,095,000
40 Arkansas Houston Nutt $1,049,644
41 UCF George O'Leary $1,035,000
42 Georgia Tech Chan Gailey $1,009,181
43 Navy Paul Johnson $1,003,309
44 Wake Forest Jim Grobe $987,843
45 TCU Gary Patterson $952,162
46 Mississippi State Sylvester Croom $940,000
47 Memphis Tommy West $925,000
48 Rutgers Greg Schiano $911,000
49 Mississippi Ed Orgeron $905,000
50 UCLA Karl Dorrell $881,000

look at #50 $881,000
If your making at $50K a year your working 17 years to make that...

This thread went crazy after yesterday. Anyway i'll try to weigh in.

TVA, said that the paycheck can be given to the kids after they get out of college. Isn't that what happens anyway? You get drafted sign a big endorsment deal and get money? You just described what currently is going on.

Like I said you put this into play then you are going to have so much s**t hit the fan. Adidas will be giving kids money to come to Tennessee, Notre Dame, and Nebraska and Nike (which has more money) will be giving money to kids to go to Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan.

So when recruiting not only do you have to show that the school is a good fit. You have to show how much money they can get for them. Which like hatvol said wouldn't money and employees create some kind of NCAA Players Union. Strikes in the NCAA. Labor disagreements about petty things.

What I'm saying is you think alot of wheels will have to spin to get a playoff system into place. A playoff scenario is a millions times more thesiable than a "paying the players" scenario.

In the USA Today that Gonzalez WR from OSU is the one complaining and bringing up the subject. Who cares about Anthony Gonzalez? Antonio Pittman was asked the same question he said "I don't really want to get into that." Why? Because Pittman knows he's going to get paid.

You pay these kids "College Football" goes to hell. Instead of Robert Meachem going pro because he wants to Tennessee would have to sit down with him and reconstruct the contract. That contract would kill money that was offered to two freshman recruits.

I saw on ESPN some quotes from players. If they feel so bad about not being paid when you get out of high school there is absolutley no reason you can't go to the CFL and get paid for 4 years then go to the NFL. If they feel that exploited then quit whining and be assertive about the situation. You don't have to go to the College Football scene, like I said CFL will pay you money. Go there.

This thread went crazy after yesterday. Anyway i'll try to weigh in.

TVA, said that the paycheck can be given to the kids after they get out of college. Isn't that what happens anyway? You get drafted sign a big endorsment deal and get money? You just described what currently is going on.

Like I said you put this into play then you are going to have so much s**t hit the fan. Adidas will be giving kids money to come to Tennessee, Notre Dame, and Nebraska and Nike (which has more money) will be giving money to kids to go to Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan.

So when recruiting not only do you have to show that the school is a good fit. You have to show how much money they can get for them. Which like hatvol said wouldn't money and employees create some kind of NCAA Players Union. Strikes in the NCAA. Labor disagreements about petty things.

What I'm saying is you think alot of wheels will have to spin to get a playoff system into place. A playoff scenario is a millions times more thesiable than a "paying the players" scenario.

In the USA Today that Gonzalez WR from OSU is the one complaining and bringing up the subject. Who cares about Anthony Gonzalez? Antonio Pittman was asked the same question he said "I don't really want to get into that." Why? Because Pittman knows he's going to get paid.

You pay these kids "College Football" goes to hell. Instead of Robert Meachem going pro because he wants to Tennessee would have to sit down with him and reconstruct the contract. That contract would kill money that was offered to two freshman recruits.

I saw on ESPN some quotes from players. If they feel so bad about not being paid when you get out of high school there is absolutley no reason you can't go to the CFL and get paid for 4 years then go to the NFL. If they feel that exploited then quit whining and be assertive about the situation. You don't have to go to the College Football scene, like I said CFL will pay you money. Go there.

Give 'em hell...

The way to do it is simply make them university employees. The problem is, that would give rise to all sorts of problems related to worker's comp, right to organize, etc. Were those concerns not present, I'd simply say make them 4/5 year contractual employees of the University. Make a free education a possible portion of the compensation package, but not a mandatory one. Let the essentially be football majors if they don't want the education.
Since Brother Phil Bredesen let the former (now deceased) attorney Larry Trail, who also represented Nissan Manufacturing in court in workers comp lawsuits filed against them prior to his being elected a representative or whatever position he was in,make the Tennessee Workers Comp Law "Big Business Friendly" injured workers now can max out at about 1/3 the amount it use to be.So I think the workers comp issue would almost be a non factor here, unless there is a way to manipulate it as well.

VN Store

Back