Why shouldn't College Coaches make the "Big Bucks"?

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Thank about it.Remember Spurrier went to the NFL at 5 mil a year.The Redskins paid him,paid the players,etc.With college football growing and raking in the big advertising dollars,concessions,season tickets,NOT paying the players (less their scholarships),that money is going somehwere.I'm no college CFO but seems as though a winning coach/program can more than bring in enough cash to write off his salary.Thoughts?

From a selfish standpoint...they more coaches make, the more we pay. And its not like they are poor...these coaches are making several million dollars NOT counting endorsements.

Usually big colleges the money produced by Football trinkles down and goes to that schools other sports. I'm sure it doesn't cost peanuts to keep Neyland Stadium and TBA up and running either. There so many things that need money.

Paying the players is dumb. I saw in a article in USA Today that made agood point about College is when these players build their brand. (Mike Vick).

Plus their getting a education for free. Paying the players. Dumb.

Yeah, as if getting a 15,000 a year education wasnt enough.

You pay these 18 year old kids to come play football in another state. You want to see some disciple problems. Then go ahead and do it.

They produce money and are expolited to some point but if you pay "College Football" goes to hell in a hand basket.

And there would be absolutley no parity at all. There would be maybe 20 schools that just ruled all.

You pay these 18 year old kids to come play football in another state. You want to see some disciple problems. Then go ahead and do it.

They produce money and are expolited to some point but if you pay "College Football" goes to hell in a hand basket.

And there would be absolutley no parity at all. There would be maybe 20 schools that just ruled all.
Well how about this... at least let the kids be able to have endorsement deals. That way, they can actually make money off of building "their brand".

Well how about this... at least let the kids be able to have endorsement deals. That way, they can actually make money off of building "their brand".

See my discipline problems post.

If these kids are getting millions of dollars like I said "College Football" will be no more. It would look drastically different.

You'll have a kid transfer because X school is offering him more money. Adidas will then offer a kid money if he come to Tennessee, Nike will offer if he comes to Ohio State. He'll miss practice because a shoot ran to late.

And if you have millions of dollars in your pocket are you gonna go to class?? Please.

Paying the players would kill college football as we know it.

See my discipline problems post.

If these kids are getting millions of dollars like I said "College Football" will be no more. It would look drastically different.

You'll have a kid transfer because X school is offering him more money. Adidas will then offer a kid money if he come to Tennessee, Nike will offer if he comes to Ohio State. He'll miss practice because a shoot ran to late.

And if you have millions of dollars in your pocket are you gonna go to class?? Please.

Paying the players would kill college football as we know it.

The simple solution... have the contracts stipulate that if the student/athlete doesn't complete core assignments, they don't get paid. You can also make it to where they don't get a check until they graduate.

The simple solution... have the contracts stipulate that if the student/athlete doesn't complete core assignments, they don't get paid. You can also make it to where they don't get a check until they graduate.

which would still simply raise the ticket price you pay for, the hat you pay for, the jersey you buy at the game, and the neyland dog you pay at the game. the players get a free education, a free dorm, free workout facilities, all the tutoring they'd ever need to complete their education, and free food. that's the reasons i had to work right there through college (and the reason i'm working my butt through grad school)

which would still simply raise the ticket price you pay for, the hat you pay for, the jersey you buy at the game, and the neyland dog you pay at the game. the players get a free education, a free dorm, free workout facilities, all the tutoring they'd ever need to complete their education, and free food. that's the reasons i had to work right there through college (and the reason i'm working my butt through grad school)

I went to grad school at UT as well... but I'm not having people pay $$$ to see me do my job, nor did I have them pay $$$ to look at anything I did. I'm 99% positive you are in the same boat.

Big difference...

i'm still not convinced that's a reason to pay him
The way to do it is simply make them university employees. The problem is, that would give rise to all sorts of problems related to worker's comp, right to organize, etc. Were those concerns not present, I'd simply say make them 4/5 year contractual employees of the University. Make a free education a possible portion of the compensation package, but not a mandatory one. Let the essentially be football majors if they don't want the education.

But if the players are playing to perform their services and they don't live up to expectations should they be docked for failures, such as fumbles, dropped passes, missed tackles etc? If any of you guys can't appreciate getting a free education in exchange for the ability to play a "game" then I have nothing left to say..

But if the players are playing to perform their services and they don't live up to expectations should they be docked for failures, such as fumbles, dropped passes, missed tackles etc? If any of you guys can't appreciate getting a free education in exchange for the ability to play a "game" then I have nothing left to say..
I actually agree with you. I'm not terribly happy with the state of college sports. The SEC, and all major conferences, are just free minor leagues for the NBA and NFL. The fact that guys who have no real interest in a college education are essentially forced onto campus if they want to play in the NFL creates the tension we're discussing. If college sports remotely resembled what they were designed to be, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I actually agree with you. I'm not terribly happy with the state of college sports. The SEC, and all major conferences, are just free minor leagues for the NBA and NFL. The fact that guys who have no real interest in a college education are essentially forced onto campus if they want to play in the NFL creates the tension we're discussing. If college sports remotely resembled what they were designed to be, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
'Nuff said!!

The education they get is not market value for their services. Any capitalist will tell you that. These guys generate millions, yet, they can't even make a dollar off of any of the items that are sold in the book store with their numbers on it.

You don't see anything wrong with that? Oh... wait... you'll probably sing me a sad song about your struggles to get an education. Yeah yeah yeah... save it. The fact is, you are not being exploited. Nobody vares if you go to Rocky Top market and get a little wasted, nobody wants to see you study. Nobody wants to know your GPA. Nobody pays money to see you do squat! Yet these guys are the only people that are not allowed to prosper from their work and effort on the field. Yeah... $10,000-$15,000 a year in SERVICES should be enough for Meachem or any other junior to stay one more year in school. What a joke,guys. Most of you can't even say it with a straight face...

The education they get is not market value for their services. Any capitalist will tell you that. These guys generate millions, yet, they can't even make a dollar off of any of the items that are sold in the book store with their numbers on it.

You don;t see anything wrong with that? Oh... wait... you'll probably sing me a sad song about your struggles to get an education. Yeah yeah yeah... save it. The fact is, you are not being exploited. Nobody vares if you go to Rocky Top market and get a little wasted, nobody wants to see you study. Nobody wants to know your GPA. Nobody pays money to see you do squat! Yet these guys are the only people that are not allowed to prosper from their work and effort on the field. Yeah... $10,000-$15,000 a year in SERVICES should be enough for Meachem or any other junior to stay one more year in school. What a joke,guys. Most of you can't even say it with a straight face...

i can easily say it with a straight face. what do you do w/ the female diver who no one cares about? does she get paid for being an athlete too?

You don't see anything wrong with that? Oh... wait... you'll probably sing me a sad song about your struggles to get an education. Yeah yeah yeah... save it. The fact is, you are not being exploited. Nobody vares if you go to Rocky Top market and get a little wasted, nobody wants to see you study. Nobody wants to know your GPA. Nobody pays money to see you do squat! Yet these guys are the only people that are not allowed to prosper from their work and effort on the field. Yeah... $10,000-$15,000 a year in SERVICES should be enough for Meachem or any other junior to stay one more year in school. What a joke,guys. Most of you can't even say it with a straight face...
The thing is, none of the peripheral financial stuff we're discussing has a damn thing to do with the real mission of a university. If the NFL and NBA were forced to create their own minor leagues, these debates would be irrelevant.

The thing is, none of the peripheral financial stuff we're discussing has a damn thing to do with the real mission of a university.

I heard Bill Curry say the exact same thing yesterday.

VN Store

Back