Why shouldn't College Coaches make the "Big Bucks"?

What about the nonscholarship athletes? They have to pay for their education already. Okay lets pay the players but, in return make them pay for their education. Do away with the athletic scholarships. Why give them a free education and pay them to play. The ones that are good enough to make the pros will still get their money and the others can still use their education to make their mark in life and get their money.

I thought this thread was about coaches getting paid.

Athletes aren't getting paid now, or for the foreseeable future.

TVA, said that the paycheck can be given to the kids after they get out of college. Isn't that what happens anyway? You get drafted sign a big endorsment deal and get money? You just described what currently is going on.
What if they were great college players, but clearly didn't have the skills to make it on the next level?
And you guys are really jumping to some conclusions about what I mean by "paying" players. It doesn't have to be millions of dollars... c'mon. But it should reflect the amount of revenue they generate for the university.

As far as the football scholarships being included in Title IX, no other sport has as many scholarships as football. Leave the 85 fb scholarships out of the equation. Or, if you want a compromise, drop the 85 number down to 65 (I wouldn't like that at all, but it would be a compromise similar to cutting the baby in half to appease both mothers).

I thought this thread was about coaches getting paid.

Athletes aren't getting paid now, or for the foreseeable future.
You are right about that... they will not be paid... I'm just throwing out the fact that everyone is profiting off of the athletes in the revenue sports (specifically football and men's basketball). Some people believe that a scholarship is fair compensation. I happen to disagree.

As far as the football scholarships being included in Title IX, no other sport has as many scholarships as football. Leave the 85 fb scholarships out of the equation. Or, if you want a compromise, drop the 85 number down to 65 (I wouldn't like that at all, but it would be a compromise similar to cutting the baby in half to appease both mothers).

so you're basically telling women. hey we know that's 85 more football players over there, but they don't count. sorry you can't have a soccer team or a golf team. I just can't buy that. women deserve their equal shot to play their sports.

so you're basically telling women. hey we know that's 85 more football players over there, but they don't count. sorry you can't have a soccer team or a golf team. I just can't buy that. women deserve their equal shot to play their sports.

Did you read the rest of the post? I offered a reduction in football scholarships as an alternative.

Nobody is trying to put the screws to women's athletics... you're being silly.

Did you read the rest of the post? I offered a reduction in football scholarships as an alternative.

Nobody is trying to put the screws to women's athletics... you're being silly.

so you want to even further dilute the talent on teams and create more boise states and utah's by decreasing scholarships... not a good alternative. you even admitted you didn't like that idea

so you want to even further dilute the talent on teams and create more boise states and utah's by decreasing scholarships... not a good alternative. you even admitted you didn't like that idea

I don't like it at all... you are right.

Look, my main point is that people have been bashing Meachem for leaving early and what not. They make these arguemnets that a scholarship is good enough reward to play football. I scratch me head and ask, "Really"? I mean, I've pointed out all of the things these football/mens basketball players do to generate revenue for these universities. The people they help in terms of scholarships, research, capital improvements... etc. I guess my main arguement is with these people who really have no clue as the real worth of some of these guys. The notion that athletes have to be a group of altruistic beings that shouldn't be allowed to "build their brand" or take advantage of outside opportunities is kind of sad.

I don't like it at all... you are right.

Look, my main point is that people have been bashing Meachem for leaving early and what not. They make these arguemnets that a scholarship is good enough reward to play football. I scratch me head and ask, "Really"? I mean, I've pointed out all of the things these football/mens basketball players do to generate revenue for these universities. The people they help in terms of scholarships, research, capital improvements... etc. I guess my main arguement is with these people who really have no clue as the real worth of some of these guys. The notion that athletes have to be a group of altruistic beings that shouldn't be allowed to "build their brand" or take advantage of outside opportunities is kind of sad.

well i understand what you're saying, but again, the money they make only help the athletic dept. even then when it comes to new facilities and what not it is typically done like any other business would, through long term loans. the interest accrued on these loans are far greater than even the highest end D1 programs get back from the use of the facilities in terms of money. Professional teams even see red numbers as far as their stadiums and arenas go. the only increase on the academic side you'll see is more students and only because of more athletic programs, therefore more athletes on campus. no one really gets money to do "research" because i know it's hard to comprehend when you look at raw numbers, but there is no extra money to go the academic side of the university when it's all said and done. more often than not, the academic side has to help cover the athletic budget.

Thank about it.Remember Spurrier went to the NFL at 5 mil a year.The Redskins paid him,paid the players,etc.With college football growing and raking in the big advertising dollars,concessions,season tickets,NOT paying the players (less their scholarships),that money is going somehwere.I'm no college CFO but seems as though a winning coach/program can more than bring in enough cash to write off his salary.Thoughts?

College football ticket prices are getting expensive. Don't think its fair the football program pays for women's lacrosse etc. I'd rather see more money go to the players room and board then to already overpaid coaches.

Most of the coaches salary comes from Donors, ticket prices aren't influencing those salaries.

Meachem didn't get monetary rewards for his contributions to the football team, but he did receive thraining that will significantly improve his chances of making millions in the NFL. Without Trooper's guidance, he doesn't get have the skills necessary to be considered for the draft, much less a first day pick. I think that (combined with free education and housing) is more than adequate compensation for his contributions to UT.

Meachem didn't get monetary rewards for his contributions to the football team, but he did receive thraining that will significantly improve his chances of making millions in the NFL. Without Trooper's guidance, he doesn't get have the skills necessary to be considered for the draft, much less a first day pick. I think that (combined with free education and housing) is more than adequate compensation for his contributions to UT.

And the $350 Best Buy Gift Certificates all the players received from Outback Steakhouse.

GV is a business jet,

vip_01.jpg

VN Store

Back