Why isn't Vescovi shooting?

I said ,make a deep run.They won't go past the sweet 16 with those two just standing around watching.I stand by that
By standing around and watching? If you think those two guys are ever just standing around and watching, then your knowledge of basketball is severely limited. Likewise, if you think scoring is the end-all, be-all, then you’re severely limited.

It was obvious that DK took over the game in a way that no one else can. I don’t know if Vescovi needs to shoot more or not, but the team seems to doing ok when Knecht is rolling. No one on Auburn could stop him. I recall games last year when we needed SV to score and he had a hard time doing it.

So Vescovi goes from being basically a star player; dependable scorer to a passer & defender? And we get more explanations for a Conundrum.

The hell else do you want, the OP is asking why isn’t he scoring more and the answer is because he’s shooting less.

I mean it’s really that simple. I don’t know WHY he’s shooting less often though, only he can answer that one.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
He needs to shoot more,along with James if we’re going to make a deep run.
opponents still defend SV all over the court. His defender never leaves him. Aub never left him last night. This strategy was extremely successful last yr & has been alittle this yr but not as much with DK. Pearl last night said their plan was to defend everyone hard & make ZZ make shots. It would have worked if DK doesn’t go off at the 12 min mark. Ark, SC & Miss St had that same approach.

Teams that have focused their defense solely on DK have not faired well. Ky & Vandy tried it & the Other Vols ate them up.

This offense isn’t conducive for SVs game. He gets no screens, like past seasons from Uros or VN, & there’s little off-ball motion. This offense is a dribble-drive offense & Barnes wants SV to keep his man outta the lane. I’m not critical of the offense Barnes has adopted this season. I think it’s the best for this team, just not for SV. SV has accepted it very well but unless teams defend differently, don’t except big scoring games from him. He’s still a great defender and passer at his position.

I don't get it. last year he lit it up. Ball fake, them bam, 3 pts. He is losing NBA draft status every game. Knecht can't do it all every game. He has off games. We need Vescovi and James to keep shooting. Maybe Vescovi should join Knecht in the gym shooting extra shots. It's one thing, if he shoots and misses, but he isn't even shooting. We really need him to shoot more.

Real questions: Is he hurt somehow that we don't know about? Personal issues? It's hard for me to believe he is just in a "funk" now, with what he did the last few years.

Any insiders know anything?

Vescovi is helping Tennessee out greatly with his suffocating defense and solid rebounding and terrific passes.

Understand that but Santi and James should be scoring more with all the attention DK gets from the opposing D. DK will pass it to you if your open.
He’s making about the same % as ever. He’s just shooting less. Aidoo’s emergence has also played a role in him taking fewer shots. He’s been the biggest beneficiary of Knecht occupying the defense.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Well then, what's Santi's role when Knecht is triple teamed? (Like last night) He still isn't shooting/hitting shots. It isn't that simple. Something is amiss. Something is wrong. It will be learned in time, is my guess. The standard "Nothing to see here" does not apply. We can all see, and feel it.
Receive a pass in the corner and immediately send it down low to Aidoo for an uncontested dunk?

The job of the offense is to score. As long as we put it in the basket efficiently, why do you care who’s taking the shots? The team doesn’t seem to and obviously it’s working.

My understanding is that if he is still starting and playing, he is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing.

You know both can be true right

Exactly: If you've got guys who can score points but they've been reluctant to shoot all season, it might be tough to get some
scoring out of them when you need to if Knecht has a poor/off night--and don't fool yourself, anybody can have an off night.
Knecht's performance against Auburn was amazing but you certainly don't want to rely on one guy scoring 25 in the last 12 minutes
and 39 overall to win a game, generally. If he had scored 29 instead of 39, we might have lost.

It's axiomatic that balanced scoring is better than unbalanced scoring---it's why we're told to diversify our stock holdings. It's safer.
You don't want to be dependent on one guy--it's risky. What's more, there is no reason for guys like Vescovi and JJJ to pass up shots
that are there. I see both of them drive into the lane, are free to shoot an eight-ten foot jumper, but don't take it and instead throw the ball back out to someone. Sometimes it's kicking the ball out to someone for a TREY attempt--but man, if you've got an open 10-foot jumper, take the shot.

Reactions: Prayivm3rcy
Because there’s no pressure on him being the guy when a bucket is needed at crucial times.

Hence, why he doesn’t take as many jump shots now.
I'm gonna be interested to see how Bama approaches Knecht. Do they let him "get his" and shut down everyone else or do they try to limit his touches and force guys like Vescovi and JJJ to beat them? Can they control Knecht when Auburn couldn't? I think it being a road game will be huge for bama and heaven help us if we draw the wrong group of officials in Tuscaloosa.

I'm gonna be interested to see how Bama approaches Knecht. Do they let him "get his" and shut down everyone else or do they try to limit his touches and force guys like Vescovi and JJJ to beat them? Can they control Knecht when Auburn couldn't? I think it being a road game will be huge for bama and heaven help us if we draw the wrong group of officials in Tuscaloosa.
I’m more worried about the zebras than the elephants. I don’t think Bama has it in them to slow anyone down. They haven’t been good on defense all season. I think the biggest risk in that game is early foul trouble and a 3pt barrage that we just can’t keep up with.

I’m more worried about the zebras than the elephants. I don’t think Bama has it in them to slow anyone down. They haven’t been good on defense all season. I think the biggest risk in that game is early foul trouble and a 3pt barrage that we just can’t keep up with.
Yep. I'm of the opinion that the shine of bama's football dominance extends to other sports. I fully expect a most unfriendly set of refs for tomorrow's game. Honestly, we're a top 5 team with the hottest player in college basketball and we can't get a favorable whistle in our own arena. Now we head to Tuscaloosa with quite likely the league title on the line? Not sure I'd put money on the '67 Bruins in this one under the circumstances.

There are not an infinite number of possessions in a game, and Santi understands that his role has changed and is doing his part to maximize each possession. Knecht doesn’t get on a roll and outscore the entire Auburn team in a 12 minute span if the rest of the team doesn’t recognize and play their role. Santi is sacrificing offensive stats in exchange for wins and I’m thankful for it!
By accepting the fact that his role has changed and playing well in that role he is not impeding the flow of the game. Shows his EGO is not in any way his driving force as with a lot of elite athletes. Chemistry of the team is all important and he recognizes that.

Reactions: OrangeYouGlad
By accepting the fact that his role has changed and playing well in that role he is not impeding the flow of the game. Shows his EGO is not in any way his driving force as with a lot of elite athletes. Chemistry of the team is all important and he recognizes that.
Let's see if yall still feel the same way the next time we lose and Vescovi only has 2 pts with all of his hustle plays included

VN Store

Back