Why isn't Vescovi shooting?

UTFanatic

I don't get it. last year he lit it up. Ball fake, them bam, 3 pts. He is losing NBA draft status every game. Knecht can't do it all every game. He has off games. We need Vescovi and James to keep shooting. Maybe Vescovi should join Knecht in the gym shooting extra shots. It's one thing, if he shoots and misses, but he isn't even shooting. We really need him to shoot more.

Real questions: Is he hurt somehow that we don't know about? Personal issues? It's hard for me to believe he is just in a "funk" now, with what he did the last few years.

Any insiders know anything?

Reactions: savannahfan
I don't get it. last year he lit it up. Ball fake, them bam, 3 pts. He is losing NBA draft status every game. Knecht can't do it all every game. He has off games. We need Vescovi and James to keep shooting. Maybe Vescovi should join Knecht in the gym shooting extra shots. It's one thing, if he shoots and misses, but he isn't even shooting. We really need him to shoot more.

Real questions: Is he hurt somehow that we don't know about? Personal issues? It's hard for me to believe he is just in a "funk" now, with what he did the last few years.

NBA draft status? No chance....none. Not nearly athletic enough for that league. He's a spot up shooter and if he can't get his shot at this level, he's not likely to do it there.

NBA draft status? No chance....none. Not nearly athletic enough for that league. He's a spot up shooter and if he can't get his shot at this level, he's not likely to do it there.

Yeah…as an avid Santi fan even I know he’s not getting drafted. He might get a shot to workout but if he plays legit professional basketball it’ll be outside the US I think.

I have no inside info, just watching him all season through warm-ups I have noticed off and on him rolling his shoulder and also at times stretching his back. From someone that experiences both of those (I am an old fart of 63 so all you youngens have something to look forward to) they are about the same actions I have had since injuring both. As I stated, I have no clue, just observations. He takes quite a beating during the games. He is still a huge asset with his defense and also assist. I miss seeing him pop the threes, but still enjoy seeing him on the court.

I personally would like to see him make more threes. That would really take some pressure off. "now who are you going to guard?"
Agree...just 2-3 game and as you posted take some pressure off. Never know when DK might have a cold shooting game. I see no reason or excuse why a shooter like Vescovi isn't getting more points. Just think the trips we make that we don't get points if Vescovi could manage 12 points or so.

his role for this season has changed. Vescovi does so much more than just shoot. The team benefits from him playing. He is still at his best when he catches and shoots all in one motion, no hesitation.

Understand that but Santi and James should be scoring more with all the attention DK gets from the opposing D. DK will pass it to you if your open.
DK was kicking it out of the double team and Zakai was taking advantage getting assists. DK, Aidoo, and Awaka combined to shoot 21/34 while the rest of the team shot 7/21. Zakai was perfect from beyond the arc but he missed some easy ones he would normal make. On a night like last night where DK it otherworldly all you need is for 2 guys to score in the teens and everyone else get out the way while DK is working. Zakai and Aidoo have proven they can be trusted to be the 2nd and 3rd options. That’s all you really need offensively with a guy like DK and then the others can take advantage of easy shots whenever they are presented.

Santi is used to being a volume shooter and he isn’t that anymore since we have DK. Some guys don’t perform well without a lot of shots. He went from shooting 7 or 8 threes last year to 3 or 4 this year and he is shooting his worst percentage since he has been here. There is only one ball to go around and DK, Aidoo, and Zakai are going to be the ones taking the bulk of the shot attempts. Santi could be dealing with nagging injuries too. No way to know for sure unless someone from the team says something about that.

He's been a favorite of mine, I see him going back home and playing pro ball in Europe.
I for one will miss the guy..He may not be the most talented dude on the floor but he brings his all every game.
And his put back on the Dalton miss last night was huge.

I'm glad he's willing to hustle and play defense still. He's, at best, the 5th option now. Basically DK, ZZ and Aidoo are options 1-3, and Gainey is probably next among those who are gonna take a shot. If either Santi or JJJ are feeling it, let them have a night, but they're not at the forefront of needed scorers now.

There are not an infinite number of possessions in a game, and Santi understands that his role has changed and is doing his part to maximize each possession. Knecht doesn’t get on a roll and outscore the entire Auburn team in a 12 minute span if the rest of the team doesn’t recognize and play their role. Santi is sacrificing offensive stats in exchange for wins and I’m thankful for it!

VN Store

Back