Why does it matter if we fire him now?

Great thread topic. Exposed posters who haven't got a clue, BUT by God, because they say so we should have already fired Butch.

Nothing gained from firing Butch in mid season. Better to wait till end of season.

1.) it's a statement from our new AD that this product is not acceptable
2.) we don't fall as far behind other teams in the coaching search
3.) head start on recruiting
4.) Florida did it
5.) it would make me feel a little bit better

Number 4 is the only problem with that argument.

Firing butch sooner than later would mean for me, less sleepless nights, low blood pressure on Saturday, less yelling at tv on game day, a healthier liver, and just make me a happier person.

Reactions: 2 people
I do not think it matters recruiting wise if you fire him now or after we get shellacked the remaining three games. If you were going to fire him for performance then you should've done it after GA. Kids that decommit will come back if you get the coach right.

On the other hand, I believe he should've been fired for cause when the concussion and Davis stories came out.

If they would do it now, it would at least make these last 3 games more enjoyable knowing for sure that he is going to be gone. It would for me at least anyways.

By firing Butch, the AD is making a statement to the team, fans, and recruits that it will not tolerate bad football and that it is committed to putting a championship team on the field.

In your opinion, why is it imperative that we fire Butch immediately (during the season) as opposed to the end of the year? In other words, what does Tennessee gain in that scenario?

Let's just say I'm curious for research purposes.

Discuss.
At this point. I don't know if it would make a difference. With 3 or 4 games left , I personally believe it would be less risky to keep butch. If Tennessee can get bowl eligible, that does not mean Jones has to be the coach.

Release him at the end of the regular season and give him the buyout.

However,On the contrary, if he does not get Tennessee bowl eligible, that is that much more Tennessee does not owe him. So really... It's a win win.

The bowl game would be the easiest way to let the newly hired coach flex some muscle and at least give the fans a "preview" of his coaching style without having to wait till the spring game or next fall.

Last edited:
I would have thought after the lost to the kittens he would be done and Fulmer would finish out the season

It doesn't matter now. The flaws and problems with this team aren't fixable at this point. Interim wouldn't fair any better. Might call a few runs at the 1 yard line though.. We're getting ready for a reset.

Freak, I've never really understood what the advantage was/is. The closest reason that half way has the ring of truth to me is the early signing period thing, some kids could be swayed but I think it's offset by kids turned off knowing the guys who recruited them won't likely be there as well, a push me pull you. Most kids are cautioned by coaches, parents, and advisers to attend the institution they feel fits best for them and not coaches. Why? Because coaches come and go and drop dead at the end of the day and if you're going to be in the NFL you will be. HOFer Jerry Rice as an example went to Alcorn State lots of big name schools had big name coaches and WRs that never played a down in the NFL that same year. Kids go to schools you love it should not be mostly about coaches.

<blue font> It's not relevant anyway Freak we all know know CBJ signed a new document agreeing to leave exercising the buyout and Gruden has already signed his commitment to be HC at UT weeks ago. VN has a whole crew of "lawyers" that will swear they understand the MOU to the nth degree even though they've not read it or can prove it even exists!

UF has a head start on us, Texas A&M has a head start after saying they are moving on from Sumlin, Nebraska might even get a head start finding a coach before us at this rate and Arkansas will probably also...All will hire big name coaches and we'll end up with the next Dooley/Jones clone...Kills me they can't see the writing on the wall.

The only reason Jones should be fired before the end of the season in if we already have a coach for next year. If we do have a coach ready to take over next year, then let Jones go where the recruits will know who they would be playing for. They can try to salvage the recruiting class for the early signing period. If you do not have a coach ready for next year, then it doesn't matter.

UF has a head start on us, Texas A&M has a head start after saying they are moving on from Sumlin, Nebraska might even get a head start finding a coach before us at this rate and Arkansas will probably also...All will hire big name coaches and we'll end up with the next Dooley/Jones clone...Kills me they can't see the writing on the wall.

Why do you think any of those schools have an advantage? The fact that Jones is still place doesn't mean that Currie isn't looking for a replacement. No active coach is going to leave an existing team until the regular season is over anyway. So, every team, whether they have an official opening or not, is working through agents and back channels.

People who want Jones fired now want it for emotional reasons, but there is no long term or even mid term benefit to it. As long as he's gone, it just won't matter either way in six months.

Reactions: 1 person
1.) it's a statement from our new AD that this product is not acceptable
2.) we don't fall as far behind other teams in the coaching search
3.) head start on recruiting
4.) Florida did it
5.) it would make me feel a little bit better

Well said. I believe it only helps us with coaches that are not currently at schools since we are "technically" not allowed to talk to other coaches until the season is over and we have permission from their school anyways.

Why do you think any of those schools have an advantage? The fact that Jones is still place doesn't mean that Currie isn't looking for a replacement. No active coach is going to leave an existing team until the regular season is over anyway. So, every team, whether they have an official opening or not, is working through agents and back channels.

People who want Jones fired now want it for emotional reasons, but there is no long term or even mid term benefit to it. As long as he's gone, it just won't matter either way in six months.

:thumbsup::clapping:

So you think it gives us a better chance to win more games down the stretch with an assistant coach at the helm?

I think the coaching staff is clueless as a whole. I do not think firing would automatically help us, but I can't say there is not at least a part of me that thinks the players might play better with a somewhat of a fresh outlook on what is left of the season.

VN Store

Back