Why do you need a gun.

That’s a good looking bobcat.... those things are so secretive and skittish, I’d be shocked if you ever had an issue with one..... unless your dog is small and it came in your yard thinking it’s prey.
It is pretty but he was hunting the rabbits that live back there at noon in 100° heat. We were the 8th home out of 100 built in our neighborhood so he lost a lot of territory. Our dog is older but still bigger than that guy. I do stomp around a bit more now when I go to check the cam

A bullseye does not roll, jump up and run away.
Just because we have the right to bear arms, it does not mean everyone has the mental ability.
I am always leery of people that discharge a firearm in the city limits. It is against the law.
Anyone that has been trained properly should know that. You are responsible for your projectile.
More leery of Barney Fife types that brag of their training and how it saved their life.
People like that are called gun nuts for a reason.
That’s why it’s called “training.” Gun owners that don’t shoot are not gun owners. You practice until the mechanics are 2nd nature.

A bullseye does not roll, jump up and run away.
Just because we have the right to bear arms, it does not mean everyone has the mental ability.
I am always leery of people that discharge a firearm in the city limits. It is against the law.
Anyone that has been trained properly should know that. You are responsible for your projectile.
More leery of Barney Fife types that brag of their training and how it saved their life.
People like that are called gun nuts for a reason.

Versus just the regular nuts.

I can't help but wonder if the guy had gone "prey animal" and tried to run if she wouldn't have been on him.
The key is to keep eye contact with a cougar. Do not turn and run. Stay big and back away. They like smaller animals as prey.
Cougar are typically curious animals they may track you just out of curiosity. If it's feeding time "dusk" mostly be very careful. Daytime its mostly curiosity.

As for bear, never make eye contact and move away slowly. Bear scare me more!!

The key is to keep eye contact with a cougar. Do not turn and run. Stay big and back away. They like smaller animals as prey.
Cougar are typically curious animals they may track you just out of curiosity. If it's feeding time "dusk" mostly be very careful. Daytime its mostly curiosity.

As for bear, never make eye contact and move away slowly. Bear scare me more!!
I have a friend that has worked in Yellowstone during the summer since he retired. They carry a sizable can of Bear Spray.

Reactions: VolNExile
I have a friend that has worked in Yellowstone during the summer since he retired. They carry a sizable can of Bear Spray.

Yea, I always pack bear spray when I'm out hiking. I like to hike in a group, usually 3-4 min as it discourages cougars, plus we make more noise that way and we don't surprise "anyone". I've seen a few bear when hiking, one mom with a cub and that's really unnerving, moms get pretty protective. One day I came around a corner and in the middle of the trail was a pile of steaming bear dung. Didn't see it but the prints were from an adult. I reverse course and headed out

Another idea with cougars that I've been told works is to sew a set of eyes on your backpack just in case they are behind you.

Note, we have some very rural areas here in Oregon, beautiful, but need to respect the local populations, deer, elk, snakes, bear cougars etc.

5fc2e5f1-b2e6-475a-adf4-53e4736f54da_1.0bd7481aaca4d5cbbb8e08c267e1d073.jpeg

In the Canadian Rockies around Banff, we observed that there were rangers monitoring grizzlies if they were near roadways or parks. They were also quick to close trails if grizzlies were about. It was berry season so the bears were active. The locals said there was more risk with the elk.

No one seemed to give a rip about what the black bears were doing.

Coyotes aren’t jokes. They’re crafty pack hunters. They take down deer. They can take down a human. Be glad that they normally don’t think of us as prey.
went for run in neighborhood last night. walking last part, (ok, most of it) saw a shadow chasing a cat. It scared me and dog good. All saw was a silhouette.

Ive def seen em in early morning. Called TWRA, said dispatch as needed.

It is pretty but he was hunting the rabbits that live back there at noon in 100° heat. We were the 8th home out of 100 built in our neighborhood so he lost a lot of territory. Our dog is older but still bigger than that guy. I do stomp around a bit more now when I go to check the cam
Have you seen it out much in the daytime like that?

In the Canadian Rockies around Banff, we observed that there were rangers monitoring grizzlies if they were near roadways or parks. They were also quick to close trails if grizzlies were about. It was berry season so the bears were active. The locals said there was more risk with the elk.

No one seemed to give a rip about what the black bears were doing.
One of the most beautiful places I've been in North America but gawd dangit it is cold there in winter... Used to travel to Calgary and Edmonton a fair amount. Tried to schedule the summer or early fall whenever possible and take a few days to ski, fish, hunt or hike.

went for run in neighborhood last night. walking last part, (ok, most of it) saw a shadow chasing a cat. It scared me and dog good. All saw was a silhouette.

Ive seen em in early morning. Called TWRA, said dispatch as needed.

We used to have outdoor cats that kept down the rat, squirrel, mole, etc population. Now it seems like you see a cat almost never. Coyotes get the cats and the varmints take over. Now we have Bobcats on cameras. We dont let our dog out in a fenced yard after dark. We are in Davidson county near Percy Priest Lake which is surrounded by a lot of natural undeveloped land.
In rural areas 30 miles south of us you see Bobcats almost daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orangeslice13
We used to have outdoor cats that kept down the rat, squirrel, mole, etc population. Now it seems like you see a cat almost never. Coyotes get the cats and the varmints take over. Now we have Bobcats on cameras. We dont let our dog out in a fenced yard after dark. We are in Davidson county near Percy Priest Lake which is surrounded by a lot of natural undeveloped land.
In rural areas 30 miles south of us you see Bobcats almost daily.
we're in the City.

We have hawks and falcons. lots of snakes.

TWRA should trap coyotes. They leave it as a municap prob.

Have you seen it out much in the daytime like that?
Usually at dawn/dusk. I usually scroll past the daytime pics because it's most likely a squirrel or rabbit but just happened to find these. Haven't seen him since

Used to have owls, rabbits, foxes, deer, coyote... The development of the 20 acres behind us have made these scarce. We still have hawks, song birds, chipmunks, squirrels... We're still on the flyover for cranes and geese. Honestly, I miss the barred owls the most.

Fy
Usually at dawn/dusk. I usually scroll past the daytime pics because it's most likely a squirrel or rabbit but just happened to find these. Haven't seen him since
FYI bobcats And coyotes both have fairly large home range and they can be out and about any time of day. I used to trap some but have a friend that traps a lot and it’s nothing to trap a cat 5-10 miles or more from where you have trailcam pics of them. Cats are generally loaners (unless Mom with kits) but yotes are usually pack of 2-8. Here is a picture of two I had coming thru my farm every 5 days or so but my buddy who works for the usda depredation dept trapped with a dig set what we believe to be the same two almost 12 miles away this summer. Not sure how the suburbia wildlife range but they will run outta rabbits,dogs and cats to eat fairly fast if they don’t move around.

7DE71D12-6655-4479-B3BF-DF4396E2EE16.jpeg

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Used to have owls, rabbits, foxes, deer, coyote... The development of the 20 acres behind us have made these scarce. We still have hawks, song birds, chipmunks, squirrels... We're still on the flyover for cranes and geese. Honestly, I miss the barred owls the most.

Those owls can be so hard to sight. Even when they are right in front of you. We have cranes. I thought they we fairly scarce 30 years ago. I recall they had a refuge on the TN river east of Cleveland then. I forget which specific crane it was.

Those owls can be so hard to sight. Even when they are right in front of you. We have cranes. I thought they we fairly scarce 30 years ago. I recall they had a refuge on the TN river east of Cleveland then. I forget which specific crane it was.
Sandhills land in Hiwassee refuge on their migration.

Reactions: Go aeiou

VN Store

Back