Why do you need a gun.

Orangeslice13

RockyTop is back, Let’s Go!!
Last night I arrived home about 9:00 pm. I live in a neighborhood outside Chattanooga in Hixson. Normally we have the lights on the outside of the house on. They were not on for some reason. I parked in the side driveway as I always do. Checked to make sure the tool boxes were locked and started around the truck towards the front of the house. My dogs we’re going crazy. As I looked back to yell “shut up!” At them I found myself about 20 feet from a large Coyote closing fast right at me. I carry so without even thinking I drew the gun, flipping the safety off and fired. Something I’ve practiced 1000 times. He rolled jumped up and ran away.

Self defense doesn’t mean that you’re just worried about criminals. Everyone should be prepared to defend themselves and their loved ones.
Don’t just get a gun. You also need to practice so you know how to use it safely.

Shalom y’all

Last night I arrived home about 9:00 pm. I live in a neighborhood outside Chattanooga in Hixson. Normally we have the lights on the outside of the house on. They were not on for some reason. I parked in the side driveway as I always do. Checked to make sure the tool boxes were locked and started around the truck towards the front of the house. My dogs we’re going crazy. As I looked back to yell “shut up!” At them I found myself about 20 feet from a large Coyote closing fast right at me. I carry so without even thinking I drew the gun, flipping the safety off and fired. Something I’ve practiced 1000 times. He rolled jumped up and ran away.

Self defense doesn’t mean that you’re just worried about criminals. Everyone should be prepared to defend themselves and their loved ones.
Don’t just get a gun. You also need to practice so you know how to use it safely.

Shalom y’all

Would’ve been a cooler story had you Jiu Jitsued it instead.

Coyotes aren’t jokes. They’re crafty pack hunters. They take down deer. They can take down a human. Be glad that they normally don’t think of us as prey.

Reactions: OEF VOL
I own shotguns. I’m on the lookout for a Ruger .357 revolver with a 3&1/2” barrel. Do let me know if you see a good deal on one of these.

Glad you're safe and practice pays off. I carry when I walk the dog in the mornings because I've run into bobcats and coyotes while out there. Recently caught this guy on my trailcam in the grove behind our house so I know it's close (maybe 20yds from our fence)

Attachments

• DSCF0740.JPG
    DSCF0740.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 155
Glad you're safe and practice pays off. I carry when I walk the dog in the mornings because I've run into bobcats and coyotes while out there. Recently caught this guy on my trailcam in the grove behind our house so I know it's close (maybe 20yds from our fence)
That’s not scary at all.

I saw the unedited video of that. I'm surprised NBC was able to find enough footage where he wasn't cussing to air it lol

Just some perspective on this, he came across Mama Cougar and her cubs. She wasn't happy about it and reminded him he was not welcome.

I mean, it's been my experience with Cougars that you just need to wine and dine them followed by a little horizontal tango and they stop being so aggressive.

I've never had trouble from a bobcat. Coyotes on the other hand... Where there's one, there's more, and who knows what's their intent until it's too late. I did see a big, beautiful male on the raised roadbed of the 20 acres under development behind my house. Fearless. I wondered where was the rest of his pack.

I saw the unedited video of that. I'm surprised NBC was able to find enough footage where he wasn't cussing to air it lol

Just some perspective on this, he came across Mama Cougar and her cubs. She wasn't happy about it and reminded him he was not welcome.

I mean, it's been my experience with Cougars that you just need to wine and dine them followed by a little horizontal tango and they stop being so aggressive.
I was surprised she threatened as long as she did. He probably backed up 200 yards or more and she was still acting like she was going to eat him.

I was surprised she threatened as long as she did. He probably backed up 200 yards or more and she was still acting like she was going to eat him.

We were discussing this on another site. My thinking was he might have been traipsing back through the area where her den was making matters that much worse. She wouldn't have left him alone until he was out of her "zone."

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

Shalom y’all
Probably was going to nip you and run. Still a bad situation to be in.

We were discussing this on another site. My thinking was he might have been traipsing back through the area where her den was making matters that much worse. She wouldn't have left him alone until he was out of her "zone."

I can't help but wonder if the guy had gone "prey animal" and tried to run if she wouldn't have been on him.

Be careful, Coyotes have been known to try to crush you with anvils. Signs to tip you off on it are "Free bird seed!" or a receipt from ACME.
1602698966854.jpeg
images

I've never had trouble from a bobcat. Coyotes on the other hand... Where there's one, there's more, and who knows what's their intent until it's too late. I did see a big, beautiful male on the raised roadbed of the 20 acres under development behind my house. Fearless. I wondered where was the rest of his pack.

Stuff You Should Know podcast did an episode a few months ago about Coyotes. They are quite amazing animals actually. They can hunt in packs or solo. They can climb trees. There have been many efforts to wipe them out and the rascals just can’t be stopped.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

They are in the southern Appalachians. I can feel their eyes upon me when I'm out on a trail. They're saying "Look at that pizza stuffed fat boy! Mmmmm, I can smell the garlic!". That's the four legged variety. Evidently the two legged has an upper legal age limit that I am far beyond.

VN Store

Back