Why Do We Still Not Know A QB? Concerning.

I'll toss out possible reasons. If you name QB1, the natural follow-up question is who is #2. He may not want to answer that for 2 reasons:

The battle for QB2 may be tight. He may genuinely want to keep evaluating them before deciding. The competition may be helping his QB room progress.

If Bailey is QB3, he's at risk to hit the portal. Heupel would rather have him here than in the portal before Tayven Jackson gets here just for depth.

Attached to reason 2, Heupel might wisely duck the QB2/QB3 question with "Joe will be our starter and either or both of the other QBs could come in as needed....." or something like that.

We should see all three vs BG. I'm fine with whoever does the best job in an actual game. Some guys are Great "Practice Players" but can't transfer that to the field, (Ring any bells?) So let 'em play! Then yall can start *itching.

Reactions: Vol4life2
For starters, I am usually optimistic and still am.

CJH said this morning that “they will announce a starter when they feel like they’ve (QB) earned it.

Why does UT never announce a QB until 10 mins before kickoff? It seems like we are the only team in CFB who never has a clear cut starter.
It never turns out good when we play this game. What is the secret? Are all 3 not that great and you’re just picking at this point? Concerning that at least 1 of the bunch hasn’t stood out.

I hope I am wrong, but it is never good when you don't know who is leading your team, 10 days before kickoff.
Coach speak..if you don't know Milton will be starting, then you haven't been paying attention.

Reactions: Emperor VOLpatine

CJH said this morning that “they will announce a starter when they feel like they’ve (QB) earned it.

Why does UT never announce a QB until 10 mins before kickoff? It seems like we are the only team in CFB who never has a clear cut starter.
It never turns out good when we play this game. What is the secret? Are all 3 not that great and you’re just picking at this point? Concerning that at least 1 of the bunch hasn’t stood out.

I hope I am wrong, but it is never good when you don't know who is leading your team, 10 days before kickoff.

Maybe, just maybe there is an honest and fair competition that he promised all the quarterbacks, and since Fall Camp isn't over and it is not game week yet, there is nothing to tell. Maybe your knowledge of the quarterback rotation is not his paramount concern.

If you are worried about Bowling Green knowing your QB, holy *** we are in trouble.
If you’re worried about your fans knowing your QB you’re also in trouble. Any opponent not knowing your qb is advantageous, the kids competing not knowing is also advantageous. So what’s the issue again other than our fans want to know?

Let me ask you this, does it matter who starts or who gives us the best chance to win?

This would be plausible if we were playing a team that stood a chance to beat us. Bowling Green is horrible. Last season they were 0-5 and all of the losses were by 25+. None of them were against teams with our talent level. A mass of players transferred and they are replacing many of them with Freshmen. Anyone who thinks this first game will be competitive knows nothing of Bowling Green. This is not a Georgia State situation.... it's not close.

Any team that will be competition for us will see who we start in the first game and have time to prepare. It gives us no competitive advantage.
What advantage does naming starter give you? Entirely plausible that a few people play to give Pitt more to prepare for.

Milton will be the first one to trot out there against BG...he's gonna get the first shot at it.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2 (if not all 3 of them) get snaps in the first game though.

Reactions: LittleVol
I've never agreed with letting your opponents know who is starting in advance. The same goes with high school football and all this film trading that goes on. Why in the world would you give your opponent any significant advantage?

The answer to that is: it's not really much of an advantage. Your opponent preps for your offensive system and gets little advantage from knowing your starting roster. The players on your own team, however, gain a significant advantage from knowing they are starting, and so preparing themselves mentally, working together as a starting unit, and learning to rally around their clearly-designated leader. That's why this "hide your roster" stuff is nonsense. I think in the case of the QB this year, it has nothing to do with hiding anything from Bowling Green. Rather, the coaches want the QBs to be competing for a little longer. And there could be something to be said for preventing #3 from getting itchy feet...I'm not sure about that, though.

Reactions: Raebo
I wish the Knoxville media was better at their questioning: "Coach, reports from those who've seen practice or parts of practice show Milton is getting 1st team reps consistently now. Assuming Milton is QB1, where are you with QB2 and QB3?"

Phrase the question so he has to kinda deny that it's Milton and punch up the real question.

Reactions: spyfish007
I don’t know who the BG QB is and I don’t really care.
If our players are more talented, prepared, and inspired to win and our coaches are good enough to make in game adjustments then it will be a beautiful day!

Reactions: VolunteerNut
What advantage does naming starter give you? Entirely plausible that a few people play to give Pitt more to prepare for.

I disagree. The coaches won't forego the chance to give players experience simply to avoid putting stuff on film for Pitt to look at. The cost of making the good players miss some live-game action is far greater than the cost of letting Pitt know what guys will be out there. It's wiser to make maximum use of your roster if you can against BG so as to avoid wear and tear on a few players.

Last edited:
If I were betting it is more likely than not Milton. 95/5 is where my confidence is on the topic. However I think all 3 play and will be graded on what they did in game vs practice. Creating more competition and pressure on these guys they either step up or step out. Thus giving you a better end result at qb. Maurer made a bad decision, hopefully he will get his shot at redemption elsewhere. I think he could have benefitted from being a teammate and supporting the guys around you. Regardless of who comes out first against BG all of them must continue to work and progress. Personally I really like the comments about the TEAM having confidence in all 3. I think this speaks volumes about the guys and that room. Go Vols

(1) not concerning.
(2) stop inventing drama.
(3) it is Milton.
(4) everyone knows it is Milton.
so...
(5) stop inventing drama.

p.s. Too bad there's no such thing as a 4-6-4-8-6 haiku. I think I just invented a new art form. Compared to normal haikus, this feels really robotic. I think it's all the even numbers.

Maybe he's trying to help the fans get a grip on their expectations. If he named Milton the starter now, pre-season hype would grow and likely lead to greater disappointment, which manifests itself poorly on message boards, call-in shows, and social media.

We didn't have anything close to a proven QB when Heupel arrived. We took Milton because he was the best transfer we could get. I do think Milton will be a better quarterback here than he was at Michigan, but he's also going to face tougher defenses here than he did at Michigan. People started getting excited about him when they realized how big and physically gifted he is, but it takes more than big muscles and a strong arm to be a good QB.
If he is worried about fan expectations then we hired the wrong coach.

Reactions: Adam2014
(1) not concerning.
(2) stop inventing drama.
(3) it is Milton.
(4) everyone knows it is Milton.
so...
(5) stop inventing drama.

p.s. Too bad there's no such thing as a 4-6-4-8-6 haiku. I think I just invented a new art form. Compared to normal haikus, this feels really robotic. I think it's all the even numbers.

Didn’t invent anything, bud.

VN Store

Back