Why Do We Still Not Know A QB? Concerning.

Come Thursday, it will be game week which typically means BGU game preparation. Not having a starter named by then tells me we will probably see more than one QB play next week.

For starters, I am usually optimistic and still am.

CJH said this morning that “they will announce a starter when they feel like they’ve (QB) earned it.

Why does UT never announce a QB until 10 mins before kickoff? It seems like we are the only team in CFB who never has a clear cut starter.
It never turns out good when we play this game. What is the secret? Are all 3 not that great and you’re just picking at this point? Concerning that at least 1 of the bunch hasn’t stood out.

I hope I am wrong, but it is never good when you don't know who is leading your team, 10 days before kickoff.
Why do you need to know?

CJH said this morning that “they will announce a starter when they feel like they’ve (QB) earned it.

Why does UT never announce a QB until 10 mins before kickoff? It seems like we are the only team in CFB who never has a clear cut starter.
It never turns out good when we play this game. What is the secret? Are all 3 not that great and you’re just picking at this point? Concerning that at least 1 of the bunch hasn’t stood out.

I hope I am wrong, but it is never good when you don't know who is leading your team, 10 days before kickoff.
I am around 99.9% certain that the coaches know... or at least know who is leading. That appears to be Milton and it appears to be by a wide enough margin that both the permitted observation reports and the "insider" reports suggest that the on-going battle is between Hooker and Bailey for #2. The last few reports have them alternating and splitting the #2 reps.

Why is it important that they tell you? I've asked this here before because it is almost an annual complaint that the coaches have not named a first game starter.

Why on earth would a competition that has not been completed mean that none of them are good? Can you explain that logic and how it could not just as easily be the case that all three are performing at a high level making the decision difficult?

Maybe he's trying to help the fans get a grip on their expectations. If he named Milton the starter now, pre-season hype would grow and likely lead to greater disappointment, which manifests itself poorly on message boards, call-in shows, and social media.

We didn't have anything close to a proven QB when Heupel arrived. We took Milton because he was the best transfer we could get. I do think Milton will be a better quarterback here than he was at Michigan, but he's also going to face tougher defenses here than he did at Michigan. People started getting excited about him when they realized how big and physically gifted he is, but it takes more than big muscles and a strong arm to be a good QB.

Last edited:
Such a dry and lazy take. If they need to hide the gameplay from BOWLING GREEN, we are in trouble. Give me a break.

What are you going to do with the information?

I don't understand why any team announces their starters before game day. I really don't. And anything can happen between now and then that would change who the starter might me. Why is it important for fans and media to know? I can't see any positive reason to name the starter now. None.

Milton will be the starting QB against Bowling Green. Hope this helps.

Well to be fair all 3 have been starters and all 3 should prepare. If the #1 isn't getting it done then #2 is next in line. No different than an injury. To be perfectly honest if #1 whoever they are struggles with BG....... I wanna see #2 quickly. Practice is great and all but I want the guy getting it done on the Weekend

I care less about naming a starter in any position. It is all about the W's. We are paying these guys $$$ to run the program. Let them do what they do.

Reactions: backdoorcutvol
I hope you’re right because I have a feeling we will have to count on at least 2, maybe all 3 of them at some point, this season.
GBO!!
Could be. Dobbs was durable. I think Hooker has been injured in his career. I don't think Milton's injury should be considered indicative of someone who is "fragile". Bailey we don't have any way to know.

I think Bailey will leave if he doesn't end up #2 since ostensibly Hooker and Milton can both return next year. All are starter quality QB's. But Maurer made an immature, emotion driven mistake. He had nothing to lose and everything to gain by sticking it out through this season. He can't play anywhere this fall.... and he just added "quitter" to the baggage a next coach has to accept.

I think Bailey is much better handled and will make a more measured decision should it come to that.

Exactly. This decision has zero to do with our week 1 opponent scouting us, but everything to do with our week 2 opponent having an extra week to do so. We all want to jump to conclusions and assume that no one has jumped to the front of the pack(I seriously worry about you if you don’t know by now that Milton will start week 1) but maybe they all have “stood out” and the coaches are having a hard time nailing one down.🤷‍♂️
GBO!!
:rolleyes:

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Why not hold judgement until you see the product on the field. Competition drives performance. What does Heupel gain by naming a starter? 2 other QBs that might mentally check out?

Keep Pittsburgh guessing and keep fanning the flames on the competition. We know it's Joe, so this really isn't a big deal.

We also knew JG was gonna be the starter for the last two or three years and before that Dobbs.

Reactions: BucksnortVol

VN Store

Back