Why do some think Bailey will start in 2020?

Ok.
I was thrown off when I realized every thread you commented on since joining, has been you pitching/defending Maurer. Every single one.
Thought maybe you were a relative, happens sometimes, here.
Wasn't attacking, just pointing out that you don't have to convince the majority. So don't sweat it, that's all.

Oh, as far as this thread turning toward Maurer, seems to have happened when you turned it there. 🤷‍♂️ Again, my bad I'm sure.
That was simply because BM is closest in class, elite 11 regional mvp, elite 11 finalist and finished 5th at the Opening. Its the closest comparison to what HB is going through now.

What I was going for was something more like this:

[JG- tough as nails. Throws a nice ball from a solid pocket. Experienced. Makes few mistakes. Accurate when he finds his groove

* questional pocket awareness. Doesn't risk many down field throws. Holds his spot at the back of his drop. Questionable presnap reads. Doesnt use mobility as often as maybe he should. Needs a solid pocket

Jt- strong armed qb. Works the pocket well. His on target passes are spot on and on a rope. Seems to keep his eyes downfield on the run

* seems to stuggle with accuracy especially under pressure. Moble but not fast. Least amount of experience as a starting qb.

BM- works the pocket well. Uses mobilty to escape. Fast but not shifty. Good internal clock. Accurate. Throws well on the run. Keeps his eyes downfield. Feels pressure. Gunslinger

* gunslinger mantality. Will throw the def the ball once or twice a game. Trusts his arm more than he should at this level.

HB- deadly accurate from a clean pocket. Football IQ seems high for his age. Strong arm. Gunslinger but with finesse

*least moble of the 4. Needs a solid pocket. Gunslinger. Ball placement in tight coverage could be a problem in the SEC at times.

Agree or disagree? Feel free to add or subtract from evaluations. ]

Maybe I screwed up the pitch but like I said.. I'm new and thought it would be fun. My bad

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
They'll have to reach at least serviceable for Pruitt to show any progress in wins over the next 2 years. I'm a patient "give' em time" guy but if we're not showing minimum progress by year 3, then we probably have bigger issues.
You're probably right. None of us really know just how deep the problems run. Butch did us no favors but then again neither did the last administration as a whole. I think a guy like Pruitt is exactly what this program needs. But most want results NOW and that's just not possible. In fact that may be JGs problem. He knows he's not a Pruitt guy and scared to make a mistake. A qb has to feel like he can play free.

Speaking of Harrison Bailey, anyone potentially interested in trying to check out one of his games this year? He plays at Marietta High School, so close by for us Atlantans (albeit, nightmarish traffic into Cobb County on Friday evening). Still several months away, so don't know if i can do it yet, but would cool if a group of us from here could meet up to watch him.

I may be game if wifey is working on a Friday.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
That was simply because BM is closest in class, elite 11 regional mvp, elite 11 finalist and finished 5th at the Opening. Its the closest comparison to what HB is going through now.

What I was going for was something more like this:

[JG- tough as nails. Throws a nice ball from a solid pocket. Experienced. Makes few mistakes. Accurate when he finds his groove

* questional pocket awareness. Doesn't risk many down field throws. Holds his spot at the back of his drop. Questionable presnap reads. Doesnt use mobility as often as maybe he should. Needs a solid pocket

Jt- strong armed qb. Works the pocket well. His on target passes are spot on and on a rope. Seems to keep his eyes downfield on the run

* seems to stuggle with accuracy especially under pressure. Moble but not fast. Least amount of experience as a starting qb.

BM- works the pocket well. Uses mobilty to escape. Fast but not shifty. Good internal clock. Accurate. Throws well on the run. Keeps his eyes downfield. Feels pressure. Gunslinger

* gunslinger mantality. Will throw the def the ball once or twice a game. Trusts his arm more than he should at this level.

HB- deadly accurate from a clean pocket. Football IQ seems high for his age. Strong arm. Gunslinger but with finesse

*least moble of the 4. Needs a solid pocket. Gunslinger. Ball placement in tight coverage could be a problem in the SEC at times.

Agree or disagree? Feel free to add or subtract from evaluations. ]

Maybe I screwed up the pitch but like I said.. I'm new and thought it would be fun. My bad

I get it, it's just all comes down to how they will play 2 seasons from now and what the line will be. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't do a lot of speculation. Others will be happy to though, I'm sure.
On JG, his deep throw percentage will be pointed out to you by a few.
On Bailey, I can't say "least mobile" because I don't know that. Lack of need to so far, doesn't necessarily mean incapable. Could be, just don't know for sure.

Ole BreakerBoy would have hated HB. Thought every QB should run like Dobbs.

Reactions: chargervol
I get it but I think we both know what we mean. You aim for the bullseye when shooting a gun or playing darts don't you? Doesn't mean that's where it finishes. Even on the ints the ball finished where he intended it to. Just in the wrong hands a couple of times. That's all I mean by "on target"
Lol..... alrighty then.

Really don’t see JG leaving next year unless he has a 1st team All-SEC season. HB isn’t doing anything impressive without an OLine at UT. JG is a good quarterback. He will be starting in 2020.

Ive read countless opinions that Bailey automatically jumps Maurer and Shrout and even JG opon his arrival.
My question to those who think so is......
Outside of ranking (for the star gazers) what specificly in his game that YOU personally see that makes him better than JG, Shrout and Maurer?......serious question.
Maybe because they have never seen any of the challengers play in a real game and they don't understand the fundamentals of football . It is true that Bailey is a highly rated QB but so was JG. We will find out when all these players get to Fall practice next year and see which one comes out on top. I suspect that JG will likely be the starter unless he leaves early for the draft.

Last edited:
Maybe because they have never seen any of the challengers play in a real game and they don't understand the fundamentals of football . It is true that Bailey is a highly rated QB but so was JG. We will find out when all these player get to Fall practice next year and see which one comes out on top. I suspect that JG will likely be the starter unless he leaves early for the draft.
I appreciate the honest answer. It's actually refeshing and very true. Qbs are possibly the hardest position to evaluate in all of sports because their success so heavily depends on the 10 other guys around them. Ill add that most people don't have a true understanding of how the recruiting services even work. There's no way they can evaluate EVERY qb in each class individually in every class. There are literally 10s of thousands. They feel like if one is rated higher than the other then they have both been evaluated against eachother when that's not always true. One may play for a powerhouse hs that gets more exposure where the other plays for a hs in the middle of nothingville. Thus 2* qb may be better than 5* qb when they end up on the same team.

Is this serious? You should follow that kid on twitter. Not only is he all UT all day, he is recruiting other kids to come here with him everyday.
And OP all you gotta do is watch the tape.
He will have to earn his spot, but I’m confident he will within weeks
He's no more "all in" for Tennessee than Cade Mays was.

He's got good tape but whats on that tape that you seen that made him so much better than Maurer ?(I say Maurer because hes 2019 and the closest to Baileys class)
The thing I don't understand is why all the Maurer love. In my opinion he was the clear inferior to Shrout in the orange and white game.

The thing I don't understand is why all the Maurer love. In my opinion he was the clear inferior to Shrout in the orange and white game.
Idk about that. Shrout was solid but completed just over 50%. He also got bailed out of what wouldve been equal to if not a worse decision than the one pick Maurer threw if they hadn't blew the early whistle. BM was around 70% and outside of the 1st int he made good decisions, fast. Most people that are impressed by him are because of the command of the offense he showed along with accuracy and escape abilty. I don't believe the def keeps them out of the endzone if they hadn't called 3 run plays from the 5 on his first drive. Point is the offense moved with BM in where it didn't with any consistency with Shrout. They all made mistakes. JG wasn't perfect either. Took sacks. Had a wide open Jennings underneath on the td to Palmer that could've just as easily been intercepted. Just gotta look deeper than stats. But they all looked good overall considering it's just the spring game.

System qb that’s made a living throwing check downs to his running backs. And for supposedly not having ANY marquee WRs to throw to, all I’ve seen is him throwing to wide open little guys all over the field. He’s great at quickly knowing where to go with the ball (especially 2 yards behind and beyond the LOS) after being in the same system for 20 years, and he’s accurate.....but I agree Behr, he ain’t the GOAT. He’s one of the all-time greats, but he ain’t it. Not sure you could say anyone truly is.
Dude just stop there's no excuses and the ones you try to make are week Brady is the Goat. Tom Brady is the definition of Goat.

Are you entertained!
Talking about Tom Brady being the GOAT? I wouldn't go there because there are WAYYYY too many excuses that support the fact he's not. But Patriot fans get butt hurt when they get pointed out. So yes..... its funny. Plus its all just opinion based anyway.

Reactions: PhoenixAZVol

VN Store

Back