Why do some think Bailey will start in 2020?

Peyton Manning would not have started his freshman year due to a seasoned senior QB, whose injury opened the door for him.

I was thinking about that season recently. We had a great oline that year that was kind of wasted on breaking in two freshman qbs. I wonder what kind of year we would have had if shuler had stayed or colquitt had not been injured.

He would still be viewed the same way today had the patriots not drafted him (a backup).
I personally can't stand that sob. I think he benefits from cheating and the media refuses to acknowledge it. If I had to pick a GOAT it's between Peyton and AR12. Peyton beat you with his mind where Rodgers beat you with his athleticism and accuracy. Both were/are scary to watch your team play against.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
This is the best post I’ve read about the so called goat in this site. Spot on. Dink and dunk qb with no mobility that rarely has to make a difficult pass. Great oline, possession receivers coaching schemes. Matt cassell and jimmy G. Agree. I’m still pretty sure my mother could complete 50% of her passes in that system. Uh oh. Here we go again. Looking forward to butchna and Boston homers defending this clown again. We had about 10000 posts a few months ago without any consensus.
Peyton’s my favorite player of all time. I’ve explained my reasoning for conceding Brady is better. Not getting roped into another debate that has no conclusion. Hate the Patriots but slightly less than you after your goober bs.

I personally can't stand that sob. I think he benefits from cheating and the media refuses to acknowledge it. If I had to pick a GOAT it's between Peyton and AR12. Peyton beat you with his mind where Rodgers beat you with his athleticism and accuracy. Both were/are scary to watch your team play against.

Peyton definitely was a coach on the field and AR is likely the most physically gifted. So much depends on the team, supporting cast and coaching. I’ve seen so many talented qbs on bad teams that aren’t given credit (Marino) and many qbs with an average skillset get way overhyped because of their teams success (Brady).

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Peyton’s my favorite player of all time. I’ve explained my reasoning for conceding Brady is better. Not getting roped into another debate that has no conclusion. Hate the Patriots but slightly less than you after your goober bs.

Don’t hate the pats as an organization. Used to love them in the Steve grogan days. Will honestly admit that there probably isn’t anyone who despises Brady more than me. Funny I despised Kobe bryant as well but always agreed that he was a great player. Not true with Brady. Just feel that he is way overhyped. The fact that he’s a little cry baby makes m dislike him more. Probably need therapy but I just can’t stand him.

Peyton definitely was a coach on the field and AR is likely the most physically gifted. So much depends on the team, supporting cast and coaching. I’ve seen so many talented qbs on bad teams that aren’t given credit (Marino) and many qbs with an average skillset get way overhyped because of their teams success (Brady).
Prescott is another. And I'm a cowboy fan! Lol

Hes 1 inch taller and 10 lbs havier than Maurer. Not a big difference. Most polished? I feel like that can be argued when Maurer didn't miss a single mark from the pocket or otherwise in the O&W game. If you look at Maurers tape it shows him doing all the same things as Bailey but with the added bonus of doing it on the run in some cases. The difference? Maurer did what he put on tape without a top 10 team surrounding him. I'll concede that Bailey MAY have a stronger arm but that may not be entirely accurate in itself. Idk. I do know that each of the qbs can easily throw it over 60 yrds which will only be needed once a game in the final seconds and down by a td or less. So for 47 min and 50 seconds that strong arm will be unnecessary.

I gotta give you credit though. You're the first one to ever step up and point out something specific. And no disrespect at all.... you may be right. Who knows?
From several posts in a couple of threads, you seem personally invested in Maurer. Not sure what that's about but that's fine.
Just keep in mind, the starting QB will be decided on ability by the coaches, and our opinions won't mean jack.

Not sure of your desire for everyone else to hold BM in the exact regard as you but doesn't seem necessary. Jmo.

Back to the discussion about the Vols qbs. I think this is a good problem to have. Glad we aren’t talking about 3-4 less talented qbs and which one we’ll be stuck with. JG is our QB now and I really think he has potential. Some of his passes have been ropes and I think with better schemes, a slightly improved oline and some rookie coaching mistakes past us we’ll see much better results from JG. We keep giving CJP a ‘mulligan’ for last year because of what butch left him with. Why aren’t we doing the same for JG?

Is this serious? You should follow that kid on twitter. Not only is he all UT all day, he is recruiting other kids to come here with him everyday.
And OP all you gotta do is watch the tape.
He will have to earn his spot, but I’m confident he will within weeks
I agree with you...Baily has some serious talent and I have no doubt he will be our starter sooner than later...Yes he will have to earn his spot but anyone who has watched him play will agree he is going to be something special if he stays healthy.

From several posts in a couple of threads, you seem personally invested in Maurer. Not sure what that's about but that's fine.
Just keep in mind, the starting QB will be decided on ability by the coaches, and our opinions won't mean jack.

Not sure of your desire for everyone else to hold BM in the exact regard as you but doesn't seem necessary. Jmo.

This particular conversation started with very little to do with Maurer. It was intended to be a friendly debate involving all the qbs. Not just Maurer. I just thought it would be fun to go back and forth with a few people with different opinions on every qb and why they feel the way they do. Maurer got brought up individually because hes is closest to HBs class. It wasn't intended to be what it turned into. In fact I was more prepared to defend JG than anything else.

Truth is I'm new to this and was teaching myself to navigate through the forums this morning. The thread was more of an experiment to see if it worked. Ive been reading the threads a lot and signed up a few days ago. I noticed the icon to begin my own thread and thought "why not?" Now I know why not.

Of course, we have some on here that thinks JG walks on water (even with cement feet)....

Wrong. We just have some reasonable posters who know he’s the best we have on the roster right now and that our offensive woes start with a terrible Oline. In other words, posters who understand football.

Reactions: jwilliams
He steps on campus as the heaviest, tallest QB on the roster. Steps on campus as the most polished passer on the roster, with the strongest arm of all the guys on the roster(JT may have a stronger arm). He definitely has a inside track at making it happen.
Does he have arm talent though? And does he have a high short/screen pass completion % with low TDs and ints? Because that's what matters nowadays.

Reactions: IH8TheHaslams
This particular conversation started with very little to do with Maurer. It was intended to be a friendly debate involving all the qbs. Not just Maurer. I just thought it would be fun to go back and forth with a few people with different opinions on every qb and why they feel the way they do. Maurer got brought up individually because hes is closest to HBs class. It wasn't intended to be what it turned into. In fact I was more prepared to defend JG than anything else.

Truth is I'm new to this and was teaching myself to navigate through the forums this morning. The thread was more of an experiment to see if it worked. Ive been reading the threads a lot and signed up a few days ago. I noticed the icon to begin my own thread and thought "why not?" Now I know why not.
Lol, welcome to VN.

(click to expand)

Last edited:
Reactions: spyfish007

Ok.
I was thrown off when I realized every thread you commented on since joining, has been you pitching/defending Maurer. Every single one.
Thought maybe you were a relative, happens sometimes, here.
Wasn't attacking, just pointing out that you don't have to convince the majority. So don't sweat it, that's all.

Oh, as far as this thread turning toward Maurer, seems to have happened when you turned it there. 🤷‍♂️ Again, my bad I'm sure.
Im just curious to see what someone will say in their defense to support their opinion of what makes Bailey better than Maurer for example. Every time ive asked someone that question ive gotten crickets. So I thought I would ask on here

Reactions: Behr
th

After JG finishes his time at Tennessee they’re in a position to lose one of Maurer or Shrout. Putting Bailey in the 2 spot. It’s up to him to push for the 1.

VN Store

Back