Why did the cops ask Vol fan to sit down last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless a standing through the whole game person is on the very back row, your standing has the domino affect all the way up the rows.. I think they should have all standing on the very top rows all around Neyland- see the view of the city, yachts and not be in anyone else's way.. Our seats are in the Terrace against the wall- we love it but this past Saturday night some guy decided to stand on the hardly passable steps- just stood there like his you know what didn't stink.. fine with me but get out our way when we either come up or go down.... If you choose to stand the entire game- which is your choice- have some sensible courtesy for those behind you. I'm only 5 ft 2 and when our friend, in front of me, stands on big plays, I can't see but that's ok, all around us know what one another is going to do on offense or defensive plays- good neighbors I tell ya!!!!

And is anyone actually paying for the right to stand in the stadium? You're paying for a seat. And seats are for sitting.

This is a silly argument. When you buy a ticket, you're primarily paying for the common right to attend a specific college football game. Individual game ticket prices vary far more depending on the opponent than they do depending on the "seat," which is usually just a bleacher spot.

I honestly don't give a crap who does what. But logically, everyone paid for a seat to sit, not stand. Some people choose to stand but if someone is doing what their ticket was meant for... sitting... the person in front of them should be obligated to sit down.

Standing isn't required, but neither is sitting. You can't just infer that sitting is required from the fact that there happen to be seats. The student section at Cameron Indoor Stadium has seats. Are you telling me that sitting is required at Duke Basketball games? Are you saying that I would have to sit down when it's 4th and goal if the person behind me doesn't want to get up off their fat ass?

Just because you pay for something doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. Going to a movie and paying for a ticket doesn't give you the right to talk all movie because it's "your hard earned money". Going to a restaurant doesn't give you the right to toss your food on the floor because you spent "your hard earned money" on it and it's yours to do with as you please.

Standing at a college football game isn't the social equivalent of talking at a movie. Standing - at least when the team plays defense, scores, or faces critical situations in the game - is a perfectly acceptable if not PREFERRED practice at college football games. Attending a football game isn't the same as attending a golf or tennis event, just like attending a Metallica concert isn't the same as seeing a ballet performance.

I'm actually all for standing and making noise as part of home field advantage. I'd prefer that be the case. But unless there are some written rules, seems to me the people choosing to sit have the right away because they paid for a seat to sit and watch the game. Not for a seat to sit and watch the back of someone's head.

Screw that. Unless the people behind you are elderly or disabled, what they want has no effect on your right to stand or sit as you please at a college football game. If a sitter doesn't like it than they can watch the game on their couch in a living room somewhere and a more enthusiastic fan can take their place.

Reactions: 1 person
This has been rehashed so many times here but here are my :twocents:

To the person with the movie comment...That is just dumb. You do not go to a movie to stand and cheer at any point. This is a "football game" so that type of thing might happen. You have to know going into it before you puirchase your ticket to then said football game that someone might stand up. If the person behind me is 80 then by all means I will sit down and do all I can to make it possible for that person to see. If it is a person very capable of standing and cheering but just too lazy to do it then I am sorry i am going to stand and cheer especially when somethign good happens. All in all be respectful on both sides of the ordeal. No need for the person asking you to sit to be a douche either. Saturday I actually heard a man say he was going to ask security to find the person whistling loudly because he did not want to hear it. REALLY?? I looked at him and said when you bought the ticked did you honestly think that when it got loud in here no one would whistle? Wow. Know what your getting into before you purchase the ticket please.

Finally a voice of reason. What a sad commentary on American society in the year 2014 that we have to actually debate whether we have a right to stand up at a college football game.

The same people that are complaining about folks standing and cheering are the same ones who leave before rhe game is over. They usually leave at the first sign that UT is in danger of losing. On Saturday they were bailing out when Mizzou went up 23-13. I say let them leave.

Reactions: 5 people
This is insane to me! why can't us vol fans all do our part AND GIVE OUR ALL FOR TENNESSEEE and stand up when were on defense and make noise. my tickets are in Y9 and even for the Florida game I couldn't get people to stand up when it's 3rd and long

Reactions: 2 people
I like to stand because the 16" or whatever it is the give you for your behind on Neyland is not enough, but I don't stand the whole time. If the guy in front of me stands, I do as well. If it's a big play I'm up.....many times I'm up yelling and etc. too, but just because it's a football game doesn't mean you need to stand the whole 3.5 hours

Reactions: 3 people
If you're standing up the entire game and it isn't because you need a better view, you're just being a jerk.

You only get 12-14 chances a year to watch a team play. If you can't stand for roughly 60 hours a year, you're just being a sissy.

Reactions: 1 person
If it's your seat and you can stand the whole time if you want to.....which I suppose is your right if you want to be that way.....then why can't you bring an umbrella inside the stadium when it's raining?

You only get 12-14 chances a year to watch a team play. If you can't stand for roughly 60 hours a year, you're just being a sissy.

The guy sitting behind you with a chemo port, possibly seeing one of his last games tends to disagree as he is 10 times tougher than you are at this point in his life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Why can't you sit and enjoy the game? Why is it necessary to stand? This is what I don't get.

Do you stand the WHOLE time at basketball games? Do you stand at baseball games?

Why is football different?

The same people that are complaining about folks standing and cheering are the same ones who leave before rhe game is over. They usually leave at the first sign that UT is in danger of losing. On Saturday they were bailing out when Mizzou went up 23-13. I say let them leave.

You have absolutely no basis for this comment, other than it sounds good to support what you say. That's like me saying that the people that always stand at football games are the same ones killing people driving drunk.

Reactions: 2 people
Honestly , If you know the people behind you are "blue hairs " like some mods here , Who will not be mentioned . Just have some courtesy , when the big play happens stand and scream and shout .

Why do they sell a ticket for a seat? Should the seats be removed and eliminated completely?

NUMBERS ? lmao

EDIT : You have never actually sat in a Neyland seat for 60 minutes , Much less the 3 + hours the game actually takes . No one , I mean NO one calls those a " SEAT " . Place holder ...Counter . I can think of a few more . A Seat is the last .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back