Why did the cops ask Vol fan to sit down last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe they can create an old folks section in neyland with recliners and ear phones so fans can take a nap during the slow parts of games---can they serve warm milk at halftime?

This is just immature. Everyone should stand when it's warrented. But for 4 hours straight? That's ****ty.....

Reactions: 3 people
Vapor being the key word here. It's not smoke.
walks-like-a-duck.jpeg

What irks me the most is the willful docuhery from the "Must-standers". If someone behind you politely asks you to sit down because they can not see and you say no, then that is just pretty damn rude and inconsiderate. They came to watch the game too. Not the backside of your pants.

Inky Johnson's Motivational Speech To The Vols On April 13, 2013 - YouTube

What would Inky Johnson think about your fan effort? After watching that video and reading your post, I am not convinced you deserve to enter Neyland Stadium. Please consider the effort these guys are giving and adjust your attitude accordingly.

Reactions: 2 people
Hello. I was sitting in section K last night and a Vol fan about four rows in front of me was standing up and cheering for the Vols. The guy behind him politely asks him if he would sit down. He then says I am a VFL and cheering for my team. The fan then gets the cops to ask that man to sit down and he pleads his case to the cops saying he is cheering for his team. I had no problem with this man standing and cheering for the Vols. So why did the cops ask him to sit down? Didn't that man have the liberty of standing up and cheering for Tennessee? Thank you for your time.
:rock::rock::rock::rock::good!:

Are they not teaching the word "entire" in vocabulary anymore? Is that what it is?

No one is keeping you from sitting.

Standing and Cheering the entire game is a long standing tradition at UT, it has been going on as long as I can recall, and that goes back to the early 80's or even longer.

If you don't want to stand and be part of the game the entire game, you are obviously in the minority and should just stay home on Saturday night.

Reactions: 4 people
no one is keeping you from sitting.

Standing and cheering the entire game is a long standing tradition at ut, it has been going on as long as i can recall, and that goes back to the early 80's or even longer.

If you don't want to stand and be part of the game the entire game, you are obviously in the minority and should just stay home on saturday night.
lol

I am an usher in the stadium. Whether it is liked or not, the person has a right to stand as long as he is not standing on the seat. The cop had no jurisdiction to make him sit, and the usher of that section should have told the officer to leave him alone. If the cop continued the issue, a stadium supervisor should have asked him to move on. I agree that there should be consideration for those who sit around you if you stand, but he really does have the right to stand up for the entire game. The police were out of line.

Knoxville police are out of line at every game every season. I have NO respect for that dept after 40 years of watching the way they treat UT football fans. The guy in front of me stood almost the entire game. I either stood as well or looked around him. I will never ask anyone, esp a Vol fan, to sit down. If I want a clear I obstructed view of the game guaranteed, then I can stay home & watch it on TV. I loved his spirit & enthusiasm!

Reactions: 9 people
Its a damn football game!! Some of us drive many hours and spend much of our hard earned dollars to cheer on our vols. I don't view it as being a jerk if I like to stand and yell. This is absurd. I got kicked out of an opener several years ago for this very thing and it still pisses me off to this very day.

I'd like to hear the story

who complained
did someone just walk up and ask you to leave
did someone ask you to sit first
what did you say
was alcohol involved

i'm so glad i'm in section Q. we all cheer, we all stand, no one complains. I only stand during defense plays to cheer and I sit down on offense plays.

I can see both points, but if you're at that stage of your life that you're complaining about people standing and cheering, then you need to stay at home and watch. if you are not cheering, then you are adding no help in creating neyland a loud atmosphere.

my take is on it if you pay your hard earn money you have every right to stand all game long if you wanna sit stay at home! i love tennessee and i wanna wear my legs/feet out to stand there and give my all as a vol fan then thats my god given right!

p.s. ran into this problem earlier this year when i got front row seats behind the bench! and was up on our feet cheering for the defence and someone said we can't see! i looked at and said well get off your lazy ass and stand up or go watch at home they finally got up but come on tired of people being so lazy!

p.s. if i see kids close behind us i always offer to let them come down and stand with my son so they can get a better view! we have season tickets behind the endzone isle seats and always let kids come stand down with us so they can get the best view in the house!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
my take is on it if you pay your hard earn money you have every right to stand all game long if you wanna sit stay at home! i love tennessee and i wanna wear my legs/feet out to stand there and give my all as a vol fan then thats my god given right!

If you pay your hard earned money you have every right to enjoy your experience. If you want to stand the WHOLE time, stay at home. See? I can say that too.

Reactions: 6 people
Sorry, but college football isn't supposed to be watched passively like golf or tennis. Fans should participate and, yes, STAND when their team scores or plays defense. This is an accepted social convention in every football stadium outside of Knoxville. Unless you have some kind of disability, when you ask somebody ahead of you to sit down at a college football game YOU'RE the one being rude.

If you want to watch the game on your ass, you're perfectly free to stay home. Sitters like you are the reason why Neyland Stadium isn't as loud as smaller capacity stadiums like Florida or LSU. How did our fan base get so soft that people are now complaining about fans standings at a football game??? Embarrassing!!!

You pretty much supported all of her post while claiming to disagree. Nice work

Why does your hard earned money and desire to stand and watch the game trump another's hard earned money and desire to sit during noncritical times and watch the game?

Why are the seats provided if Neyland is SRO only as one poster said?

As A&M does it, there are sections for those that want to stand all game and sections for those that don't. It works quite well. If the Aggies can figure it out, why not UT?

How do people not understand when to stand and when to sit?

To the MUSTSTANDALLGAME gang, go to a pro game in New York, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Oakland, or somewhere else where fans aren't known for their politeness. They'll let you know when it's appropriate to stand or sit, and they're not big on passive-aggressive.

It's not hard to not be a jerk. There are big plays, when it is appropriate to stand, and there are insignificant moments, where you're the idiot standing. If some of you love standing so much, why not buy all the tickets in a certain section of the stadium, or petition to have one created, where you can stand just to stand?

Last edited:
my take is on it if you pay your hard earn money you have every right to stand all game long if you wanna sit stay at home! i love tennessee and i wanna wear my legs/feet out to stand their and give my all as a vol fan then thats my god given right!

Devils advocate....

Why is your hard earned money any more important than the person who wants to sit?

And is anyone actually paying for the right to stand in the stadium? You're paying for a seat. And seats are for sitting.

I honestly don't give a crap who does what. But logically, everyone paid for a seat to sit, not stand. Some people choose to stand but if someone is doing what their ticket was meant for... sitting... the person in front of them should be obligated to sit down.

Just because you pay for something doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. Going to a movie and paying for a ticket doesn't give you the right to talk all movie because it's "your hard earned money". Going to a restaurant doesn't give you the right to toss your food on the floor because you spent "your hard earned money" on it and it's yours to do with as you please.

I'm actually all for standing and making noise as part of home field advantage. I'd prefer that be the case. But unless there are some written rules, seems to me the people choosing to sit have the right away because they paid for a seat to sit and watch the game. Not for a seat to sit and watch the back of someone's head.

Reactions: 7 people
Devils advocate....

Why is your hard earned money any more important than the person who wants to sit?

And is anyone actually paying for the right to stand in the stadium? You're paying for a seat. And seats are for sitting.

I honestly don't give a crap who does what. But logically, everyone paid for a seat to sit, not stand. Some people choose to stand but if someone is doing what their ticket was meant for... sitting... the person in front of them should be obligated to sit down.

Just because you pay for something doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. Going to a movie and paying for a ticket doesn't give you the right to talk all movie because it's "your hard earned money". Going to a restaurant doesn't give you the right to toss your food on the floor because you spent "your hard earned money" on it and it's yours to do with as you please.

I'm actually all for standing and making noise as part of home field advantage. I'd prefer that be the case. But unless there are some written rules, seems to me the people choosing to sit have the right away because they paid for a seat to sit and watch the game. Not for a seat to sit and watch the back of someone's head.

We agree on something. :good!:

Win games then people will be more than happy to stand and cheer. While I think we are on the rise and very excited about the future, we have been stagnant for the past few years. This leaves an understandably unexcited fanbase. I don't mind standing and think everybody should stand and cheer when the clock is running but as common courtesy, only stand if the person in front of you is standing. Read the room people, read the room. I should mention, I'm about as far from being a blue hair as possible but I do have consideration for others...

I stand during the opening of the game, on defense, and when the mass exodus of fans starts before the game ends. That crap is truly irritating. I mean if you're gonna bail before the game ends just take the back way and go down the ramp.

I was also in K, from what I could see,he was the only person that was sat down the entire game... I sat during TV timeouts,halftime,etc... that was the only time anyone,from my viewpoint in section K, wasn't standing...

I am an usher in the stadium. Whether it is liked or not, the person has a right to stand as long as he is not standing on the seat. The cop had no jurisdiction to make him sit, and the usher of that section should have told the officer to leave him alone. If the cop continued the issue, a stadium supervisor should have asked him to move on. I agree that there should be consideration for those who sit around you if you stand, but he really does have the right to stand up for the entire game. The police were out of line.

/thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back