Who will be the qb this year?

Maybe when it happens. We’ll do a beta test. Get him off your teet and start working towards that.
So you’re on record saying that my opinion has no weight? That It was do to Maurers lack of talent that DWA didn’t catch the ball vs UF? That if Maurer were more talented JJ would’ve caught the ball vs Bama? That had Maurer been a higher ranked qb Palmer wouldn’t have stumbled? And that a concussed Maurer should’ve made a better decision vs MSU? That’s absolutely ridiculous! Because if I’m wrong then that’s exactly what you’re saying. Can’t play both sides.

Truth is I think you secretly agree with what I’m saying because you’re smart and you know this game. But because it’s me saying it you won’t admit to it.

So you’re on record saying that my opinion has no weight? That It was do to Maurers lack of talent that DWA didn’t catch the ball vs UF? That if Maurer were more talented JJ would’ve caught the ball vs Bama? That had Maurer been a higher ranked qb Palmer wouldn’t have stumbled? And that a concussed Maurer should’ve made a better decision vs MSU? That’s absolutely ridiculous! Because if I’m wrong then that’s exactly what you’re saying. Can’t play both sides.
It’s tainted. Everything you say is tainted concerning Maurer. And since he’s the only reason you’re on this board? EVERYTHING you say on here is defunct. No TWO WAYS about it. Always apologizing...always somebody else’s fault. Nobody ever stumbles or drops a ball from another QB. 😢

Reactions: lexkyvol
It’s tainted. Everything you say is tainted concerning Maurer. And since he’s the only reason you’re on this board? EVERYTHING you say on here is defunct. No TWO WAYS about it. Always apologizing...always somebody else’s fault. Nobody ever stumbles or drops a ball from another QB. 😢
Tainted means polluted from its true form. Therefore everything I said is the exact opposite of “tainted” because it’s pure fact that can not be argued. It explains the reasoning behind yourself, Pulaski and K town not being able to stay on subject with me because there’s nothing you can say to combat the truth. My personal relationships are irrelevant to your lack of abilities to debate the truth.

Tell me which of those QBs you mentioned are on this roster? None?
You are attempting to excuse him. The standard used is the most relevant thing.

What difference does it make. I'm not talking about him vs other QBs from the past. I can't make that more clear. He is competing against Shrout, Maurer, and Bailey.
No. He is measured against a standard. That standard is historic... and then the teams UT plays. Shrout, Maurer, or HB not being good enough as MUCH YOUNGER AND LESS EXPERIENCED PLAYERS does NOT make JG a "good" QB.

You aren't being objective, as you seemingly failing to acknowledge the competition at hand. He played better then either one of those two did last year, that's just a fact no matter how many random stats you are going to try to use to spin some fairy-tale to fit your narrative.
I am being completely objective while you are looking for an excuse. You are comparing him to two guys who should NOT HAVE PLAYED. Neither was ready. No one I've seen argues they were. It should not have been necessary to make a comparison between the 3. You expect your RS Jr QB to be better than that.

They had their chances, and didn't perform well.
In the games where both played competitive downs, Maurer was more productive than JG except for his INT mistakes. He moved the ball better... and did that without knowing the playbook and having needed a RS.

Heck even in JG's RS Freshman year he was better than either of them were last year. 62% completion, 7.2 yards per attempt, 4TD, 2 int, 128 rating. I'm not arguing that is "good" as you like to say, but that's pretty clearly better than either one of them.
Nope. The O was ineffective. He REPEATEDLY held the ball taking offense stifling sacks rather than being quick enough to throw the ball away. His completions were padded by two things. After failing to make timely downfield reads, he either got sacked or checked down for ineffective plays. Even Jones knew he had to game plan around JG... JG averaged 150 ypg. He played one good game against a bad UK team.... then had yardage in trash time vs LSU.

Let's break down what I claimed. JG is going to be the starter to begin the year - true from all indications from practice. JG will be the QB as long as he's playing well - true, just like last year.
Presumably but the coaches have not outright said that yet. Based on past performance, the O will be limited by JG's inability to make timely reads and anticipate throws. The run game should be better... but what he has done poorly for 3 years now will still handicap the O unless he's improved pretty dramatically in an area that is significantly a product of innate ability.

What the heck do Dobbs, Crompton, etc have to do with that? If JG plays poorly, then he will lose out on his job again.
How many times do you need to have that explained? This isn't a turtle race. The standard isn't the guys JG will or won't beat out. The standard is that set by past UT QB's AND what it takes to win. If JG is a 40% passer and UT averages 35 ppg and wins... I won't complain. If he completes 70% of his passes and doesn't move the O then I will be critical. It isn't just "stats" like you guys try to make it. It is states RELATIVE to EFFECTIVENESS at leading the team to points and wins.

I didn't even imply he was good, you are just assuming that for no reason, but the reality is he's our starter at this moment in time. You are saying I'm excusing his ineffectiveness or whatever, but I've literally never mentioned that. You keep making random arguments about things that no one has even mentioned, and bringing up QBs that are irrelevant to the conversation.
If that's true... then you should have no problem at all with what I've argued. None.

Tainted means polluted from its true form. Therefore everything I said is the exact opposite of “tainted” because it’s pure fact that can not be argued. It explains the reasoning behind yourself, Pulaski and K town not being able to stay on subject with me because there’s nothing you can say to combat the truth. My personal relationships are irrelevant to your lack of abilities to debate the truth.
But it CAN be argued with...I’m living proof! For what you’re spewing to be TRUTH, there has to be legitimate conspiracy from both the coaches and all the receivers to make your boy look bad. Anyone without your dogma or others without their own personal agendas can’t say that out loud and take it seriously. Your personal relationship with Maurer doesn’t automatically disallow you from being able to be objective and FACTUAL. You’re responsible for your failure in that department. Maurer doesn’t get hurt last season and I believe he grows in that offense and advances it. But he did...so he didn’t. All this blather about the coaches failing to develop his talent and receivers failing to show his greatness is sour grapes hero worship. I’d say I’m sorry that you can’t see that, but I’d be lying cuz IDGAF.

If you can’t see my point you simply just refuse to see my point. Not that’s it’s not legitimately there. The stats say he threw 5 ints. Looks bad, I know. However when all things are considered 4 of those were out of his control and NOT a result of bad play. We’re singing a different tune if the extenuating circumstances never took place and he’d only thrown 1 int. We all seen two of those ints hit the receiver. That’s undeniable. You would’ve had to be at the game to see Palmer stumble without coaches tape. And you can’t deny that Chaney probably should’ve called a run and preserved the points but hind sight is 20/20. He’s human and it’s easy to see why he thought Maurer was fine.
at the end if the day, JG is starting and Shrout will be the backup. If something happens to Shrout then HB will play. BM most likely isnt a factor anymore.

LOL.....Clausen beat Alabama twice on the road. They might not have been ranked AT THAT TIME, but in my book that's pretty big time. Clausen had more pressure wins in one season than Dobbs did in his entire career at UT

Pre Saban Alabama. Get real. And like you said they weren’t ranked at the time. Keep trying to diminish it all you want.

Pre Saban Alabama. Get real. And like you said they weren’t ranked at the time. Keep trying to diminish it all you want.
I'm not trying to diminish anything. He is smart and likable guy. A good guy to have on your roster as a third QB, because that's what he is in the NFL. He simply isn't good enough to be a starter and to this point, even a back-up

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
But it CAN be argued with...I’m living proof! For what you’re spewing to be TRUTH, there has to be legitimate conspiracy from both the coaches and all the receivers to make your boy look bad. Anyone without your dogma or others without their own personal agendas can’t say that out loud and take it seriously. Your personal relationship with Maurer doesn’t automatically disallow you from being able to be objective and FACTUAL. You’re responsible for your failure in that department. Maurer doesn’t get hurt last season and I believe he grows in that offense and advances it. But he did...so he didn’t. All this blather about the coaches failing to develop his talent and receivers failing to show his greatness is sour grapes hero worship. I’d say I’m sorry that you can’t see that, but I’d be lying cuz IDGAF.
I don’t know where you’re getting the conspiracy theory from. Receivers drop balls at every level. Pointing out that the qb did his job is not suggesting there was a conspiracy. Nor is suggesting that Pruitt electing not to develop a back up was a mistake or Chaney calling a pass play at the wrong time. Nothing about any of those statements suggest any of it was done intentionally or without the best interest of the team in mind. They were mistakes made by human beings. There will be more mistakes made as human beings. However putting the blame on a true freshman qb because his “stats” reflect those mistakes is ridiculous. That’s my point.

I don’t know where you’re getting the conspiracy theory from. Receivers drop balls at every level. Pointing out that the qb did his job is not suggesting there was a conspiracy. Nor is suggesting that Pruitt electing not to develop a back up was a mistake or Chaney calling a pass play at the wrong time. Nothing about any of those statements suggest any of it was done intentionally or without the best interest of the team in mind. They were mistakes made by human beings. There will be more mistakes made as human beings. However putting the blame on a true freshman qb because his “stats” reflect those mistakes is ridiculous. That’s my point.
My first awareness of you was your argument that Maurer wasn’t responsible for either of his interceptions in the O&W game and that anybody who disagreed with you simply didn’t understand football. Just kept getting better!

You are attempting to excuse him. The standard used is the most relevant thing.

No. He is measured against a standard. That standard is historic... and then the teams UT plays. Shrout, Maurer, or HB not being good enough as MUCH YOUNGER AND LESS EXPERIENCED PLAYERS does NOT make JG a "good" QB.

I am being completely objective while you are looking for an excuse. You are comparing him to two guys who should NOT HAVE PLAYED. Neither was ready. No one I've seen argues they were. It should not have been necessary to make a comparison between the 3. You expect your RS Jr QB to be better than that.

In the games where both played competitive downs, Maurer was more productive than JG except for his INT mistakes. He moved the ball better... and did that without knowing the playbook and having needed a RS.

Nope. The O was ineffective. He REPEATEDLY held the ball taking offense stifling sacks rather than being quick enough to throw the ball away. His completions were padded by two things. After failing to make timely downfield reads, he either got sacked or checked down for ineffective plays. Even Jones knew he had to game plan around JG... JG averaged 150 ypg. He played one good game against a bad UK team.... then had yardage in trash time vs LSU.

Presumably but the coaches have not outright said that yet. Based on past performance, the O will be limited by JG's inability to make timely reads and anticipate throws. The run game should be better... but what he has done poorly for 3 years now will still handicap the O unless he's improved pretty dramatically in an area that is significantly a product of innate ability.

How many times do you need to have that explained? This isn't a turtle race. The standard isn't the guys JG will or won't beat out. The standard is that set by past UT QB's AND what it takes to win. If JG is a 40% passer and UT averages 35 ppg and wins... I won't complain. If he completes 70% of his passes and doesn't move the O then I will be critical. It isn't just "stats" like you guys try to make it. It is states RELATIVE to EFFECTIVENESS at leading the team to points and wins.

If that's true... then you should have no problem at all with what I've argued. None.
This is it 100%

I especially like how you brought up how quarterbacks 'move' the offense. I think that is what some of these JG lovers are missing. It is kind of abstract. When JG is running the offense everything seems really forced and unnatural. He never has any flow or rhythm. Even in those games he played well in it didn't even feel like he was in a rhythm. He still was not bringing any energy to the offense. It's like the play calling was really good and he executed them and that is it. The offense still had no energy. Hard to describe. He is not a great athlete and he is always so mechanical. The offense is just slow with him running it.

Maurer brought a ton of energy to the offense. Even when he was forcing it, he was still providing a consistent rhythm and moving the offense faster. Same with Shrout, with just less energy and more mechanical type of playing. Yet his arm being so strong gives us the ability to hit big plays deep. Both throw receivers open and have stronger arms. I don't think either have the ability to just bog down a game like JG can.

Still possible for JG to have good games and execute well and avoid mistakes, but I just doubt the offense will ever be explosive with him playing and we will always struggle to pull away from teams.

My first awareness of you was your argument that Maurer wasn’t responsible for either of his interceptions in the O&W game and that anybody who disagreed with you simply didn’t understand football. Just kept getting better!
Go back and find my quotes. Once again you’re putting words in my mouth. He is completely responsible for his second int because it was a terrible decision. However the first one, no matter how those who disagree twist it, RK gave up on the route and didn’t go up and fight for that ball. Video doesn’t lie. I even provided a still shot of him watching JM pick it off with no sense of urgency, yet you guys denied it. Idk what happened, maybe RK got caught mid stride and couldn’t recoup. All I know is there was no attempt to high point that ball by the receiver and THATS what he was known for coming out of HS and if I had been his coach he would’ve gotten an earful. However, that being said I would’ve given Brian an earful as well because there was a gap of 15 yards or so that RK was running wide open between the corner and safety if he’d pulled the trigger earlier than he did. That was over a year ago and RK and Maurer both have gotten better. So no need to rehash. Just don’t put words in my mouth that are untrue because I never said he wasn’t responsible for either. I said he could’ve used some help on the first one and the 2nd was all on him.

Go back and find my quotes. Once again you’re putting words in my mouth. He is completely responsible for his second int because it was a terrible decision. However the first one, no matter how those who disagree twist it, RK gave up on the route and didn’t go up and fight for that ball. Video doesn’t lie. I even provided a still shot of him watching JM pick it off with no sense of urgency, yet you guys denied it. Idk what happened, maybe RK got caught mid stride and couldn’t recoup. All I know is there was no attempt to high point that ball by the receiver and THATS what he was known for coming out of HS and if I had been his coach he would’ve gotten an earful. However, that being said I would’ve given Brian an earful as well because there was a gap of 15 yards or so that RK was running wide open between the corner and safety if he’d pulled the trigger earlier than he did. That was over a year ago and RK and Maurer both have gotten better. So no need to rehash. Just don’t put words in my mouth that are untrue because I never said he wasn’t responsible for either. I said he could’ve used some help on the first one and the 2nd was all on him.
Making my point for me...gracias.

I'm not trying to diminish anything. He is smart and likable guy. A good guy to have on your roster as a third QB, because that's what he is in the NFL. He simply isn't good enough to be a starter and to this point, even a back-up
When did our roster get so good that we can still finish with a winning record vs SEC competition even though we are playing with a backup QB type talent as our starting QB?Its lunacy to call our starting QB nothing but a backup when we win 5 games in this conference. He's proven he can win football games in this conference, he's proven he can win SEC road games vs ranked competition, he's helped end our losing vs SEC West opponents. The ONLY thing JG hasn't done or beat is Al, Ga and Fl and that is more indicative of our overall roster and team talent than it is the play of our QB. I also believe that changes this year and both JG and Coach Pruitt get that elusive win vs the big3. I can send you a long list of QB names at UT that never beat those 3, JG may end up on it, then again all of that could change this season alone.

If want a critical post here you go.

Maurer is not a good “screen” qb but he’s especially bad at WR screens to the flat. The reason is he tends to rush his upper body on WR screens especially to his right where he has to flip his hips and throw quickly. WR screens to his left are better only because his hips are already in line with the WR.

He’s not good when a defense gets immediate pressure from the middle because it takes away his space to step up and find a lane to throw or run. The fastest way to get him rattled is consistent middle pressure from A or B gap.
The fastest way to rattle BM as a defense is to simply catch the football when he throws it to you.

VN Store

Back