who will be the biggest surprise this fall

Offense: Channing Fugate (and the result is we will have two 1K rushers) Fugate and either Poole or Neal

Defense: Brewer (However, the entire secondary, even without JJ will prove to be dangerous to throw against)

fugate won't even sniff 1k
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Really like the idea of Coleman contributing too.

Coleman may end up starting or as our nickel back. I really think he'll be a nickel back somewhat like the freshman from LSU that was great this past year. He was #14 his name is slipping my mind right now.

fugate won't even sniff 1k

Dooley obviously is set on giving Fugate serious opportunity to strut his stuff. It Poole and company don't consistently produce, Chaning is going to perform a John Riggins/Larry Csonka act for the Vols.

And again, CDD seems dead set on giving him just that chance. I dare say the Vols running game returns with a vengeance and this time we're armed with a Caterpillar D10T (Fugate) and 2-3 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6Rs (Poole & Neal), spotted periodically by two F-22 Raptors (Hunter & Da'Rick) armed by a Raytheon AMRAAM missile launcher (Bray).
=======================================
On fullback Channing Fugate:

“I think Channing is going to be an important role player for us on offense. He can do things that most fullbacks can’t. As a starting point, he gained 3,000 yards in a season as a runner (in high school). Thus, the name three-stack. That’s what the team calls him because he stacked a thousand on a thousand on a thousand. That’s not an easy thing to do. ‘Three-stack’ has some instinctive running ability that most 250-pound fullbacks don’t have. It also tells you that he is athletic. He can catch out of the backfield. He can maneuver in between some of these big offensive lineman to get to his backer. We’re going to create as much of a role for him as we can. We’re going to push him. We’re going to put him out wide some and move him around. I think he’s going to add a nice dimension to us.

“What I was surprised at was he wasn’t coming to me saying, ‘I want the ball.’ That’s what most people that stack three 1,000 yards of offense on top of each other do. They come and do one iso play and say, ‘Coach, when are you going to give me the ball?’ I sat there and purposely didn’t give him the ball just to see if he would ever come and he didn’t. Then, I decided we should probably give him the ball. We’re designing some plays to get him the ball and he’s doing well. He’s not a selfish guy. He’s a great team football player.”

Vols wrap up first week of spring practice GoVolsXtra

Marlon Walls...

I think the pash rush on passing downs can be sick! Walls and Jackso both rushing from the DT position and a combination of either Smith, Miller, Williams, etc. at DE.

Marlon Walls...

I think the pash rush on passing downs can be sick! Walls and Jackso both rushing from the DT position and a combination of either Smith, Miller, Williams, etc. at DE.

I was thinking the same thing.
With the secondary actually having depth as well as some potential future All-SEC candidates coming in(along with PW BB JJ?) for the next 2-3 years I've gotta think that benefits the front 7 pretty well I have to go with the the young DE J Smith. Would not suprise me if Willis or Bohannon broke out either. There could really be several big surprises this year. Hope so. It's on next year for sure. We've been through more s**t the last 3-4 years than most teams go through in 10+ years.
Hope the whole darn team is a big surprise & start to become a power again a year earlier than most expect.
Go Vols!!

The entire secondary if JJ never shows up because anything will be better than the dread most will be thinking.

matt milton gets my vote. Da'Rick and Justin are high on him right now and we're gona need someone to help them out. He showed flashes of brilliance in last seasons spring.

I am not saying that he is going to be horrible...but there is an expectation of Bray right now that is extremely high

hopefully J. Worley will push Tyler. I have had the same feelings about T.B. I worry about the sophomore jinx and ofcourse some of these rediculous comparisons to Peyton....really? peyton? come on people. I hope TB isnt like peyton...peyton couldnt beat UF....GO VOLS and GO gettem Tyler.

I think Vincent Dallas will be the surprise with him being an E.E. He'll see the field a lot and get the advantage over Arnett

I was thinking the same thing.
With the secondary actually having depth as well as some potential future All-SEC candidates coming in(along with PW BB JJ?) for the next 2-3 years I've gotta think that benefits the front 7 pretty well I have to go with the the young DE J Smith. Would not suprise me if Willis or Bohannon broke out either. There could really be several big surprises this year. Hope so. It's on next year for sure. We've been through more s**t the last 3-4 years than most teams go through in 10+ years.
Hope the whole darn team is a big surprise & start to become a power again a year earlier than most expect.
Go Vols!!

Are you talking about Willis or Corey Miller?

Melvin Goins

Offense: Neal - breaks some big runs behind a better line, makes some catches out of the backfield to keep drives alive.

Defense: Vereen - Dooley is high on him, it's his last chance to play. A former RB moved to LB gives the speed we need at OLB

ST: Palardy - I think we saw Palardy at about 75% last year. Even Dooley defended him as did his high school coach saying how something just wasn't right with his leg. If he has been conditioning well this off season, I think his leg will be much more alive. A kicker to get it in the endzone?! We haven't had one of those since Wilhoit.

VN Store

Back