Who wants to take a shot at the offense depth chart?

QB- Hooker 50%, Maurer 25%, Bailey 25%, Salter RS barring emergency
RB- Small, Evans, Hodge, Beckwith as a multiple flex player
TE- Fant, Pope, Warren, Beckwith as flex or HB

WR-X
-Velus Jones Jr
-Jimmy Calloway
-Walker Merrill

WR-Y
-Ramel Keyton
-Cedric Tillman
-Malachi Wideman
-Kaemen Marley

WR-S
-Jalin Hyatt
-D'Angelo Gibbs
-Jimmy Holiday
-Andison Coby

OL... My opinion on starters and next 3. Guys will be moved around if back ups become necessary. It is likely that some guys will flourish in the new system that struggled with the previous scheme and expectations. Locklear is a guy who comes to mind.

LT- Calbert, Wright
LG- Spraggins, Carvin
C- Co Mays, Carvin, Ca Mays
RG- Ca Mays, Carvin, Locklear
RT- Wright, Locklear, Robinson or Parker

Expect some surprises, since superior size & speed mean nothing if the player can't make the line-of-scrimmage reads and adjust fast enough.

This offense is going to be very dependent on not just reading the defense quickly and accurately, but also executing the play with precise timing. Being in the right place at the correct moment will be more critical to success than having a superior athlete deliver a devastating block a half-second late.

If this staff could, they would measure neural synapse times instead of 40s. Obviously, we want both--superior athletes performing at top speed mentally and physically. But in this first year, don't be surprised if some of our best athletes fall in the depth chart.

Reactions: sjt18
QB:
-Harrison Bailey
-Hendon Hooker
-Kaidon Salter
-Brian Maurer

RB
-Tiyon Evans
-Jabari Small
-Jaylen Wright
-Dee Beckwith
-Tee Hodge

FB/H-Back
-Austin Pope

WR-X
-Velus Jones Jr
-Ramel Keyton
-Walker Merrill

WR-Y
-Malachi Wideman
-Cedric Tillman
-Kaemen Marley

WR-S
-Jalin Hyatt
-Jimmy Calloway
-Jimmy Holiday
-Andison Coby

TE
-Princeton Fant
-Miles Campbell
-Jacob Warren
-Sean Brown
-Julian Nixon
-Trinity Bell

LT
-K’Jhron Calbert
-William Parker
-Dayne Davis

LG
-Javontez Spraggins
-Riley Locklear
-Amari McNeil

C
-Jerome Carvin
-Cooper Mays
-Jackson Lampley
-Ollie Lane

RG
-Darnell Wright
-Chris Akporoghene
-James Robinson

RT
-Cade Mays
-Jeremiah Crawford
-RJ Perry
Whitehead going to defense?

QB: Bailey, Maurer, Hooker, Salter

RB: Evans, Small, Wright, Hodge

WR: Keyton, Calloway, Coby
WR: Hyatt, Wideman, Tillman
WR: Velus, Holiday, Merrill

TE/H: Pope, Warren, Brown
TE: Beckwith, Campbell

LT: Ca Mays, Calbert, Parker
LG: Carvin, Spraggins, McNeil
C: Co Mays, Carvin, Locklear, Lampley
RG: Spraggins, Akporoghene, Robinson
RT: Wright, Crawford, Perry

Expect some surprises, since superior size & speed mean nothing if the player can't make the line-of-scrimmage reads and adjust fast enough.

This offense is going to be very dependent on not just reading the defense quickly and accurately, but also executing the play with precise timing. Being in the right place at the correct moment will be more critical to success than having a superior athlete deliver a devastating block a half-second late.

If this staff could, they would measure neural synapse times instead of 40s. Obviously, we want both--superior athletes performing at top speed mentally and physically. But in this first year, don't be surprised if some of our best athletes fall in the depth chart.
Good post.

I don't think I'm mistaken about what I heard them say about the O. The QB will have far more responsibility for making the play call, line calls, and adjustments/audibles. I believe Clawson tried to install an O where the QB had 3-5 play options when he got to the LOS and was responsible for calling the right one. There was never alignment between him and Fulmer.

This staff not only expects their QB to carry extra responsibility... they've proven it can work extremely well.

Either way, they made it pretty clear that you can't run fast if all the QB's answers come from the sideline.

I say all that to get to this... it will be really important that the QB and the OL's think with one mind and anticipate each other. Some line changes may be automatics based on a play adjustment rather than a verbal communication.

Any thoughts on open tryouts. Back in the 70’s and 80’s there were own tryouts. I m pretty sure we got a couple kickers through that process. Also believe got some speedy athletes from track squad. Would be awesome to pick up a couple big and nasty 300 pounders that toss hay bails and could push opponents around.

I hope you’re right, but I don’t know if Carvin has the quick feet to play LT. We have a bunch of guys who are Guard/Tackle hybrids in Mays, Wright, and Calbert, but that doesn’t usually equate to the athleticism needed at LT. I think Perry has the size and athleticism to develop into that guy, but he’s so raw. Maybe Crawford is the LT they need for this offense though.

I’m bullish on Spraggins. I think he has to play. Maybe Carvin starts at Center.
I said Carvin & Cade are your guards not tackles. The tackles should be Calbert & Wright. Cooper should be the center unless Spraggins can play center

QB- Harrison Bailey (Fr.), Kaidon Salter (Fr.), Herndon Hooker (Jr,), Brian Maurer (So.)

RB- Tiyon Evans (So.), Jabari Small (Fr.), Carlin Fils-Aime (RSSr.), Dee Beckwith (Fr.), Jaylen Wright (Fr.), Tee Hodge (Fr.)

WR- Jalin Hyatt (Fr.), Malachi Wideman (Fr.), Jimmy Holiday (Fr.), Cedric Tillman (RSSo.)

WR- Ramel Keyton (So.), Jimmy Calloway (Fr.), Andison Coby (So.), Julian Nixon (Fr.), Kenney Solomon (RSFr.)

WR- Velus Jones (Sr.), DeAngelo Gibbs (RSJr.), Walker Merrill (Fr.)

TE/H- Austin Pope (St.), Princeton Fant (RSJr.), Trinity Bell (Fr.)

TE- Jacob Warren (RSSo.), Miles Campbell (Fr.), Sean Brown (RSFr.)

RT- Darnell Wright (So.), K’Rojhn Calbert (RSJr.), William Parker (Fr.)

RG- Javontez Spraggins (Fr.), Kingston Harris (RSSo.), Chris Akporoghene (RSFr.)

C- Cooper Mays (Fr.), Jackson Lampley (RSFr.)

LG- Jerome Carvin (Jr.), Riley Locklear (Sr.), James Robinson (Fr.), Oliver Lane (RSSo.)

LT- Cade Mays (Jr.), Jeremiah Crawford (So.), Reginald Perry (Fr.)

Man on paper that looks pretty decent for JH to work with.

QB- Harrison Bailey (Fr.), Kaidon Salter (Fr.), Herndon Hooker (Jr,), Brian Maurer (So.)

RB- Tiyon Evans (So.), Jabari Small (Fr.), Carlin Fils-Aime (RSSr.), Dee Beckwith (Fr.), Jaylen Wright (Fr.), Tee Hodge (Fr.)

WR- Jalin Hyatt (Fr.), Malachi Wideman (Fr.), Jimmy Holiday (Fr.), Cedric Tillman (RSSo.)

WR- Ramel Keyton (So.), Jimmy Calloway (Fr.), Andison Coby (So.), Julian Nixon (Fr.), Kenney Solomon (RSFr.)

RG- Javontez Spraggins (Fr.), Kingston Harris (RSSo.), Chris Akporoghene (RSFr.)

LG- Jerome Carvin (Jr.), Riley Locklear (Sr.), James Robinson (Fr.), Oliver Lane (RSSo.)

Man on paper that looks pretty decent for JH to work with.
Cant wait to see the defensive side
Just need to hold them under 30 and we will win a lot of games!

Reactions: Ratvol
I hope you’re right, but I don’t know if Carvin has the quick feet to play LT. We have a bunch of guys who are Guard/Tackle hybrids in Mays, Wright, and Calbert, but that doesn’t usually equate to the athleticism needed at LT. I think Perry has the size and athleticism to develop into that guy, but he’s so raw. Maybe Crawford is the LT they need for this offense though.

I’m bullish on Spraggins. I think he has to play. Maybe Carvin starts at Center.

Spraggins is bullish as well.... I agree completely

I'm most excited to see what Jalin Hyatt can do in a well functioning pass offense. He showed some flashes last season, even while being held back in that abomination of a Pruitt controlled offensive game plan; he's definitely got the hands and speed.

Reactions: brockytop

Nice job putting this together. I agree with them all except for QB. I'm not against HB being the starter, I just believe his skill set is the least "Heupel like" among the three. If I was betting, I would wager on Hooker or Mauer.

Oh yeah, and Darnell Wright better be doing some extra sprints, like...right now. Most people dont really realize how fast this offense runs their plays.

QB:
-Harrison Bailey
-Hendon Hooker
-Kaidon Salter
-Brian Maurer

RB
-Tiyon Evans
-Jabari Small
-Jaylen Wright
-Dee Beckwith
-Tee Hodge

FB/H-Back
-Austin Pope

WR-X
-Velus Jones Jr
-Ramel Keyton
-Walker Merrill

WR-Y
-Malachi Wideman
-Cedric Tillman
-Kaemen Marley

WR-S
-Jalin Hyatt
-Jimmy Calloway
-Jimmy Holiday
-Andison Coby

TE
-Princeton Fant
-Miles Campbell
-Jacob Warren
-Sean Brown
-Julian Nixon
-Trinity Bell

LT
-K’Jhron Calbert
-William Parker
-Dayne Davis

LG
-Javontez Spraggins
-Riley Locklear
-Amari McNeil

C
-Jerome Carvin
-Cooper Mays
-Jackson Lampley
-Ollie Lane

RG
-Darnell Wright
-Chris Akporoghene
-James Robinson

RT
-Cade Mays
-Jeremiah Crawford
-RJ Perry
I don’t think Calbert is equipped for LT...and Spraggins starts sooner rather than later.

Reactions: ArdentVol

I gave you a like because you were the first to throw up a depth chart

But....185 lbs., 4.6 speed CFA in front of Dee Beckwith?? Hahaha.

Gibbs isn't even on the team.

Fant is starting TE. Pope is/was the HB

And as far QB...don't even consider hardly anything from the Pruitt era.
No way Maurer is 4th.

I think the QB situation will be between
Hooker and Bailey with Hooker winning it.

Fun fact to gauge

Eric Gray had 772 yards on 157 attempts
Hooker had 508 yards running on 85 attempts
Both split playing time with others

The dudes legs are a problem. From what I've watched he can make all the throws too.

Last edited:
Reactions: lexkyvol
QB - Maurer or Salter, Bailey, Hooker
RB- Evans or Beckwith, Small
HB- Pope, Hodge, Beckwith
TE - Fant, Campbell, Warren
FL- Jones, Wideman, Calloway, Coby
SL- Merrill, Calloway, Coby
WR- Hyatt, Wideman, Tillman

Nice job putting this together. I agree with them all except for QB. I'm not against HB being the starter, I just believe his skill set is the least "Heupel like" among the three. If I was betting, I would wager on Hooker or Mauer.

Oh yeah, and Darnell Wright better be doing some extra sprints, like...right now. Most people dont really realize how fast this offense runs their plays.
HB came from an up-tempo offense how is he the least Heupel like?? The offense doesnt revolve around a mobile qb it favors the Qb's who can process and make quick decisions. Whichever guy can do that consistently will be our guy.

Reactions: FïreBall
Qb1-Hooker/Maurer
Qb2- Hooker or Maurer
Qb3- Bailey
RS- Salter

Heupel can work with any type of qb which leaves it wide open going in.

Hooker brings the most experience but I still think he faces an uphill battle simply because this is the SEC and maybe I’m reading too deep into him having his worst game vs the only team that resembles an SEC team (Clemson). He’ll have to learn the speed of the game like a freshman would because, let’s face it, the ACC is just plain bad outside of Clemson and NC.

Maurer and Bailey both bring experience themselves. If Bailey improves his deep ball AND is head and shoulders above the rest in decision making, I can see him getting a look but I don’t feel Heupel is going to favor a completion % due to check downs over a qb that moves the offense any way he can.

If Maurer can improve his decision making I don’t see him being beat out by any of them because his skill set is a rare combination. He’s probably got the strongest arm on the team followed by Salter but Maurer is bigger, faster and just as able to improvise. Salter is a better runner but this is a QB competition and Maurer checks the box from the pocket, on the run and has already proven fast enough to run away from SEC defenses.

Salter I think will be a good qb but at 6’1 he’s going to HAVE to work on his mechanics otherwise we can kiss the short passing game over the middle goodbye. These boys are bigger and taller than he seen in HS and the qbs he’s competing with are no slouches.

Last edited:
HB came from an up-tempo offense how is he the least Heupel like?? The offense doesnt revolve around a mobile qb it favors the Qb's who can process and make quick decisions. Whichever guy can do that consistently will be our guy.

Of course I agree that the QB doesnt have to be mobile and he'll choose the one that can process and make decisions. I respect any prediction that has Bailey as the starter. But in my opinion, I believe such a prediction assumes HB alters the way he's used to playing the position and he does it quickly.

My prediction is more based on the type of ball thrown/passer that Bailey was last season compared to what I've seen from Hooker and Maurer. Both HH and BM have much quicker releases with much more velocity on intermediate routes than HB. I know he's had different types of QB's, but HB's skill set is less similiar to Dillon Gabriel's than the other two.

Sure, we could see a different HB, but if we assume that happens quickly, it also shouldnt be out of the realm of possibility that Heupel is able to fix Maurer's decision making. I think what we all want is Bailey's awareness/cerebrality and Maurer's playmaking ability.

VN Store

Back