Who is the top competition?

One with excellent free throw shooters on nights when the refs can’t stop blowing their whistles. Especially if they can get Fulk into foul trouble.
That doesn’t bother me much because we are good FT shooting team and have more depth than just about anyone...I like our chances in a fouling contest.

They will struggle to score vs us I think. Martin is a good coach and they will try to be physical with us but in the end I don't think they've got enough offense to stay with the Vols.

Nope, he only wins wins when he has a roster full of experienced players or top level talent and even then he finds a way to crap the bed. If it wasn't for that sweet 16 run he would've / should've been fired. Even that was more about players stepping up and making shots then his coaching. Mixed with getting lucky that Duke was knock off that year.

Nope, he only wins wins when he has a roster full of experienced players or top level talent and even then he finds a way to crap the bed. If it wasn't for that sweet 16 run he would've / should've been fired. Even that was more about players stepping up and making shots then his coaching. Mixed with getting lucky that Duke was knock off that year.

Cuonzo won a couple of championships at MZ State. He’s had a winning record in 9 of the previous 12 seasons. His 3 losing seasons were his first and the last 2 where he went 30-33. He’s won almost 60% of his games. He’s a good coach. He’s not an elite coach. But right now he has wins over 2 ranked teams and he’s cracked the top 15.

This take seems to be clouded with some bias probably because of his time at UT. He is a good coach. He is not elite. He has some weaknesses for sure. But he also does some things really well. And those are the types of things that give his teams a high floor every season.

He's going into his 10th year coaching in both the SEC and PAC12, 2 powerhouse conferences, he's won 18+ games for 7 of those 9 years and he influences boys to young men. He's a good coach regardless of whether you signed the petition or not.

He's going into his 10th year coaching in both the SEC and PAC12, 2 powerhouse conferences, he's won 18+ games for 7 of those 9 years and he influences boys to young men. He's a good coach regardless of whether you signed the petition or not.

Without a doubt the two lowest basketball wise of the power 5 conferences. Coaches can schedule easy in the pre-conference and pump win totals. I agree that he develops his players into good men, but he recruits above average then under develops their game. He hides behind being physical as an excuse for poor offense. He'll be out of Mizzu within three years (sooner if not for covid).

Without a doubt the two lowest basketball wise of the power 5 conferences. Coaches can schedule easy in the pre-conference and pump win totals. I agree that he develops his players into good men, but he recruits above average then under develops their game. He hides behind being physical as an excuse for poor offense. He'll be out of Mizzu within three years (sooner if not for covid).
You don't do what he's done by being a bad coach, something you emphasize he is. I really don't see how anyone can even consider him a bad coach. If or when he leaves Mizz he'll go to the Big10 where he'll likely kill it with his style play and familiarity with that conference. Martin is a good coach and will likely coach another 10 seasons at a major power5 school.

You don't do what he's done by being a bad coach, something you emphasize he is. I really don't see how anyone can even consider him a bad coach. If or when he leaves Mizz he'll go to the Big10 where he'll likely kill it with his style play and familiarity with that conference. Martin is a good coach and will likely coach another 10 seasons at a major power5 school.

He left UT because he was being ran off before the tournament run. Then he didn't do great at Cal so he left for Mizzu. Hes trending downward. I don't really feel that strong about it, I just get up set when the accusation is made (not been made here) that he was forced out of here because he is black. While I think he just a bad coach, not the worst, hes a power 5 level coach, just not a good one.

Reactions: walkenvol
I could see Missouri having a nice season but I also wouldn't be suprised if they didn't finish in the top half of the league. Average talent and an average coach but a lot of experience. Experience has already payed dividends for them in this Covid season. I think their game with us will tell us a lot about them.

Conversely, in those 9 years he only made the ncaa tournament three times, once as a last 4 play in game where, by the grace of God, we managed to back into the sweet 16. The two others were first round losses as a 4 seed (with Jaylen Brown on his team to 13 seed Hawaii) and an 8 seed to number 9 seed Florida state.

I think you can quibble about what constitutes "good", but I think the argument is no one is ever going to come up with him out of thin air when you ask them to name "good" coaches. It only ever comes up when we specifically debate his qualifications. I'd venture a guess at this point most basketball fans have seen enough of him that they would say hard pass if his name came up in their schools next coaching search. I know after coaches like Anderson and Haith (who also had his own first round woes), where Mizzou was regularly ranked, my couple of friends who are Missouri fans were incredibly unimpressed and their perception hasn't changed. I know it's anecdotal evidence, but that sticks with me whenever this argument comes up.

My two cents, I think he's solidly in the mediocre category. Probably would be fine at a school that doesn't really care about basketball, but zero chance I'd feel comfortable with him if I were an AD.

Last edited:
What type of team scares you the most? I know many have mentioned our post play but I’m not sure how many opposing SEC teams are trotting out 2-3 elite big men? I think a prolific 3pt shooting team is what I’m most curious to see us against, we do give up some outside looks (partially by design), I’m not sure how we fare against that, nobody we’ve played yet is considered even an above average team from 3. Arkansas & LSU are both very good teams from deep, I will be curious how we do against those 2.

This is definitely my concern. We crash on everything inside the paint so kickout/drive and dish teams will be more difficult for our defense. Hard to say that it would be too difficult considering the length and athleticism on this team.

Reactions: Lefteye
Conversely, in those 9 years he only made the ncaa tournament three times, once as a last 4 play in game where, by the grace of God, we managed to back into the sweet 16. The two others were first round losses as a 4 seed (with Jaylen Brown on his team to 13 seed Hawaii) and an 8 seed to number 9 seed Florida state.

I think you can quibble about what constitutes "good", but I think the argument is no one is ever going to come up with him out of thin air when you ask them to name "good" coaches. It only ever comes up when we specifically debate his qualifications. I'd venture a guess at this point most basketball fans have seen enough of him that they would say hard pass if his name came up in their schools next coaching search. I know after coaches like Anderson and Haith (who also had his own first round woes), where Mizzou was regularly ranked, my couple of friends who are Missouri fans were incredibly unimpressed and their perception hasn't changed. I know it's anecdotal evidence, but that sticks with me whenever this argument comes up.

My two cents, I think he's solidly in the mediocre category. Probably would be fine at a school that doesn't really care about basketball, but zero chance I'd feel comfortable with him if I were an AD.
Very solid post.

If KY or UNC or Kansas or other Elites were looking for a coach, where would Cuonzo be on their list? He wouldn't be

If the next tier of schools like UCLA, TN (for now), Ohio State, etc were looking for a coach, would Cuonzo be on their list? I'd say no.

How He left TN and then left Cal, (used school resources to interview, left the cupboard bare) combined with his mundane and boring coaching philosophy, combined with his dull and monotone personality, puts him in a category where he may coach at a P5 school after he spurns Mizzou (bet money that he will), but it will be a P5 school who doesnt care about basketball. Penn state, Oregon State, Rutgers. I'd say he most likely ends up at a mid major.

Very solid post.

If KY or UNC or Kansas or other Elites were looking for a coach, where would Cuonzo be on their list? He wouldn't be

If the next tier of schools like UCLA, TN (for now), Ohio State, etc were looking for a coach, would Cuonzo be on their list? I'd say no.

How He left TN and then left Cal, (used school resources to interview, left the cupboard bare) combined with his mundane and boring coaching philosophy, combined with his dull and monotone personality, puts him in a category where he may coach at a P5 school after he spurns Mizzou (bet money that he will), but it will be a P5 school who doesnt care about basketball. Penn state, Oregon State, Rutgers. I'd say he most likely ends up at a mid major.

Another solid post

I wish him well but the pattern is clear to see.

I think the only reason he got the Mizzu job was the deal he made to sign Michael Porter Jr. and his brother (think he made their dad an assistant coach). Unfortunately for him Porter was injured in the first week of the season.

Arkansas looks good against their inferior opposition so far for sure, but do they have any players that were on their team last year? It looks like an almost complete roster turnover. There is no doubt he is an outstanding coach, but is Musselman really that good of a coach to pull together a bunch of non-5 star players that quickly? It will be interesting to see how they do on the road (even in a COVID year with limited fans in attendance) and with SEC refs calling somewhat more level teams.

Arkansas looks good against their inferior opposition so far for sure, but do they have any players that were on their team last year? It looks like an almost complete roster turnover. There is no doubt he is an outstanding coach, but is Musselman really that good of a coach to pull together a bunch of non-5 star players that quickly? It will be interesting to see how they do on the road (even in a COVID year with limited fans in attendance) and with SEC refs calling somewhat more level teams.
I think he will be a mid-tier level coach in this league. I think the Hogs will finish middle of pack. As someone said (I think it was Hulk), this league is going to be quite crowded towards the middle of the pack. Maybe not much difference between 4-10.

Some were on the team last year technically but were sitting out for transfer rules, Desi Sills is the only returner that is playing much. Muss turned around Nevada pretty quickly using transfers but it can lead to volatile results from year to year. I think his NBA background looks at it like free agency and he prefers to get proven college players over high schoolers who may not be as developed. The immediate eligibility ruling coming up probably has him foaming at the mouth lol.

With that said he still had a top 10 recruiting class of high school players last year but I can already tell opposing coaches are using it against him in recruiting for the ‘22 class.

I think he will be a mid-tier level coach in this league. I think the Hogs will finish middle of pack. As someone said (I think it was Hulk), this league is going to be quite crowded towards the middle of the pack. Maybe not much difference between 4-10.
Agree. There are a couple of Top Tier teams , one or two good to really good teams, and then the rest are going to fight and claw for the 4-14 positions.

Was looking forward to the TN vs Florida matchups this year but Keyontae going out changed the perplexion of that game significantly.

Also...Is it me, or does it seem every time TN is primed to dominate th SEC, there is another SEC team that inexplicably goes on a conference tear and knocks TN down a notch?

Some were on the team last year technically but were sitting out for transfer rules, Desi Sills is the only returner that is playing much. Muss turned around Nevada pretty quickly using transfers but it can lead to volatile results from year to year. I think his NBA background looks at it like free agency and he prefers to get proven college players over high schoolers who may not be as developed. The immediate eligibility ruling coming up probably has him foaming at the mouth lol.

With that said he still had a top 10 recruiting class of high school players last year but I can already tell opposing coaches are using it against him in recruiting for the ‘22 class.

There is no doubt you guys have the second most prestigious program history of teams currently in the conference outside of Kentucky. I cannot wait for you to come back to the level you were from the 70's to turn of the century. The SEC needs you to do so, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I was mildly impressed with Arkansas' win at Auburn. They have some nice offensive pieces and kept Auburn at bay, even though one of their Senior starters went down.

I'll be real interested to see how the Mizzou vs Arkansas game goes this Saturday. We play them after Alabama as well.

VN Store

Back