Who is the best DB coach money can buy?

Did you read my post though?

How many recruiting classes do you need at “Tennessee” not to give up 269 passing (more than their season average) to Ball State?

How much more talent do you need to not give up 220+ more passing yards than Florida normally gets?

How much time does it take and how many cycles does a DC and DB’s coach need to not allow an FCS team to score 24 and gain nearly 400 yards with over 300 through the air?

UT Martin played Boise State this year. They lost 30-7. Martin gained 152 total yards, 126 passing……..Boise ST has a 2nd year DC (just like Tennessee). Boise ST DOES NOT have more talent than Tennessee.

I didn’t ignore anything………what I brought up made the argument irrelevant.

In a pinch you can try to make an argument…….but you haven’t made one yet.

Oh and Boise ST has loses to UTEP, BYU & Oregon ST, and a close 5 point win vs Airforce and 3 point win vs Wyoming (not the Power Boise State).

Since you made such a point to stress the Boise State Defensive Coordinator you might should research a bit before you post so adamantly.

Spencer Danielson, who was named the DC in January 2021, has been on the Broncos' staff since 2017, including the last two as co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach.

Since you made such a point to stress the Boise State Defensive Coordinator you might should research a bit before you post so adamantly.

Spencer Danielson, who was named the DC in January 2021, has been on the Broncos' staff since 2017, including the last two as co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach.

lol I know exactly who he is. Just as stated 2 years as their DC.

At some point you may want to make an actual argument to the point though.

however if you can’t……”try to steer the boat somewhere else.”

Played same FCS team gave up about half as many yards. They must have talent, Tennessee must not have talent. He has had time to do what he wants as a DC, banks has not………vs and FCS team.

Reactions: VolSummitt44
Not arguing all your points, but re: Pruitt at Alabama. I’m sure he has some positives as a defensive coach but do we really know how important he was in terms of calling plays there? Iirc, Saban comes from the defensive side of the ball, so how does that affect the DC? I really don’t know and am asking. Like our coach is very involved in the offensive play calling. Do head coaches with defensive backgrounds likewise do much of what a DC might do? Maybe Pruitt did call the plays, but maybe he was more involved in other things. Could have been their chief liaison to McDonalds if nothing else.
Good question and I don’t know how closely he was involved with calling plays. One thing I do recall: Remember the Vandy game his first year when they beat us badly at their place? It was something like 38-14 and they just torched our defense. At some point after the game Pruitt was asked about the defense and he said this: “We called the same plays last year at Alabama that we did tonight and won 50-0. That should tell you what you need to know”. Pruitt was not a good head coach but on multiple occasions he commented publicly on how we needed better players. He shouldn’t have said that publicly but he was probably right. I’m afraid we’re in a similar position now.

I didn't see Martinez or Banks play the first snap. Pretty simple, that's your guy go cover him. It's a talent issue.
But they didn't say "that's your guy go cover him", they said "give your man a ten-foot cushion and cover this area". Evidently, they threatened them to not move from that area.

Reactions: Grouse Stalker
If CJH does go after new DC he better check with Rodney Garner that he is on board with the new hire. Or even better ask Rodney Garner to recommend someone he trusts (however not allowed to recommend keeping his current boss).
We had K.Steele here and Garner had been coaching under him for several years at Auburn. We'd already paid him a years salary presumably to be HC. Was that a blunder by our AD ? Bare in mind that TJ Durkin left Ole Miss for T A&M and a bunch of 5* talent. It takes both time and talent to develop a good defense. J.Banks anchors our D and his absence Sat. nite had more of an impact on our defense than many realize. He relayed the defensive signals to other players. I feel UT simply didn't have a good back-up signal caller.

Talent excuse is pathetic at this point. Period. Vandy and directional universities are putting better defenses on the field. This wasn’t a good offense we faced. Look at Rattlers QBR all year then look at it versus us.
Or any QB we faced vs us vs the rest of their schedule. Richardson threw for 450 yards?
Bryce Young 400. Rattler 460? Daniel's 330??

I mean wtf is Banks being paid for?

Enough already!

They are literally right below us with talent rankings. And it's clear most of our talent lives on offense. What little there is on defense is on the line.

How many of our DBs would play somewhere else? We know at least 3 or 4 of them wouldnt because they transferred to us.

I think Coach Martinez would find a similar job long before our DBs found similar playing spots.
Athletic ability is no excuse for poor technique and having no idea what's going on. Also the scheme is terrible.

Playing defense is so much more about athleticism than offense. DBs must have superb reaction and fluid hips to change direction. Recruiting is by far the best way to find these types of players.
Cornerback is the most athletic position in the game of football period. Very demanding both mentally and physically. A.Taylor come to UT as a receiver but spent his entire career at CB. UT did not replace Taylor and Jackson with athletic players. These 2023 recruits appear to be a good class for the defense but I can't help but think that we could get a coach who can develop our secondary players a lot better than what we currently have.

We need physical corners that don't mind playing up tight on guys. We lay back, don't tackle well. Very passive secondary. You weren't going to hide it forever.
I think they play off and lay back because the coaches know they're not fast enough. Still doesn't seem to be helping clearly. Not sure what else they can do outside of getting better players? They can change the coaches I guess, but that still means a another year or two before we all feel like we have a good defense, in my opinion anyway. I think they could probably find some more immediate help in the transfer portal, but I also coach from my couch on Saturdays.

We absolutely need better talent, but allowing 9 TDs in 10 possessions reveals that there's a deeper issue. That's beyond bad. When you defend Alabama, Georgia, and LSU better than you defend South Carolina - there is clearly something wrong with the either the gameplan or the mindset of the players leading up to South Carolina.

Reactions: temptn
Our style of offense means our defense isn't going to be very good. I get that Saturday was a disaster and I'm not saying it was acceptable, but calling for coaches to be fired from a 9-2 team that has overachieved all year is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Face it, South Carolina isn't as bad as we think and they have good players too. Our corners are too slow and they took advantage of that.
Yes they are! Theres a reason they average 20 PPG vs SEC competition; and that’s with 2 healthy RB’s.

Cornerback is the most athletic position in the game of football period. Very demanding both mentally and physically. A.Taylor come to UT as a receiver but spent his entire career at CB. UT did not replace Taylor and Jackson with athletic players. These 2023 recruits appear to be a good class for the defense but I can't help but think that we could get a coach who can develop our secondary players a lot better than what we currently have.
If we are not strong up the middle we will be on our heels every game. Where are the LBs in this class?
Are they from the Edge Rushers we have recruited?

Reactions: Stephen Gray
You want an off the wall name…Lance Guidry at Marshall. Top 10 defense overall, top 10 scoring defense, top 5 in TO’s, 1st in 3rd down defense, top 5 in INT’s, top 10 in rush defense, top 25 in pass defense, coaches DB’s. First year at McNeese St as DC helped them go 10-0 in the regular season, winning 10 games for the first time in 6 years. Had 12th ranked total defense, 3rd in scoring defense and 4th in rush defense. Raised Janzen Jackson to be a pretty damn good DB… human not so much.

Nah. He will just call bad plays and say “That’s we called at Alabama.” when it fails.
CJP has a lot of problems as a coach and (like all of us) as a person. But he is a dang good defensive coach. He just never needs to be the head coach anywhere.
That said, there is almost no chance he would want to come back or that we would take him if he did.
But the question is as who was the best one available 😉

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Tennessee best defenses and teams had one thing in Common a solid LB core.
98 85 90's 68
We haven't had it for a while.
It is easy to call out names like Al Wilson, Reynolds, Westmoreland, Kiner, Mayo, Ayers, Haralson, AJ? and the list goes on and on.
LBs produced our best Defenses

CJP has a lot of problems as a coach and (like all of us) as a person. But he is a dang good defensive coach. He just never needs to be the head coach anywhere.
That said, there is almost no chance he would want to come back or that we would take him if he did.
But the question is as who was the best one available 😉

I am sure he has some positives. You don’t get to be Saban’s DC without some merits. That said, I am also sure he has some negatives and am pretty upset still with the situation he left behind. Maybe later I can say nice things about Pruitt more easily, but I’m barely getting there with Kiffin.

I am sure he has some positives. You don’t get to be Saban’s DC without some merits. That said, I am also sure he has some negatives and am pretty upset still with the situation he left behind. Maybe later I can say nice things about Pruitt more easily, but I’m barely getting there with Kiffin.
I hear ya 💯. The toughest for me is finding nice things to say about Butch. That is a work in progress for me 😬

Let’s just overlook the fact that our defense plays a ton of snaps with not a lot of quality game ready rotational depth available yet. We’re 11 games in and nobody thinks these guys might possibly be a wee bit physically beat up and low on gas at this point in the season. We’ve been sliding guys around trying to fill opens holes throughout this season and had to have a walk-on play at the end of the Bama game. A walk-on against Bama on their last drive!!
Yeah, i agree, but all of the armchair athletic director's and coaches are well rested and typing @ a high level with one regular season game to go...📰

VN Store

Back