Who is the best DB coach money can buy?

Beasley didn't play with poor effort. The entire defense played bad and South Carolina played better than they ever have or ever will again. For the most part our linebackers are better than they were at the beginning of the season. They still aren't a quality group in my opinion. They have been coached though and you can tell it. The dbs have been playing crappy all year long and it hasn't çhanged.
I’m not here to bash players but yes, Beasley did 100% play with poor effort. If I had time I’d show you the plays. They are referenced in one of these threads somewhere. Maybe you’ll stumble into it yourself. Very poor effort, especially in the red zone. One was one of the laziest plays I’ve ever seen from a LB

Better plan is to recruit better players. You see what ugh gets on defense. We need to be getting our share of those guys. You cannot simply expect to outscore everyone. Ask Oklahoma. You have to be able to stop the other team and our players are just not there. Yet.

PLAYERS
PLAYERS
PLAYERS
PLAYERS
PLAYERS MAKE PLAYS

I think our Jimmies and Joes were ruffled in the last game. Dayum

I’m sorry, rustled.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if this has been said or not but what about Gary Patterson as DC? He’s a special assistant at Texas and that guy KNOWS defense. He basically mastered the 4-2-5 at TCU and I’m sure he’d want to do more than just be a special assistant. TCU put dudes in the league as first or second round picks. Fundamentally sound and he’ll demand greatness.

I’m not sure if this has been said or not but what about Gary Patterson as DC? He’s a special assistant at Texas and that guy KNOWS defense. He basically mastered the 4-2-5 at TCU and I’m sure he’d want to do more than just be a special assistant. TCU put dudes in the league as first or second round picks. Fundamentally sound and he’ll demand greatness.

We burnt that bridge with Patterson a long time ago.

I’ll be shocked if even picked up the phone.

Reactions: Cobb-Webb 1989
Can never pass up on good DBs, especially if they're any improvement talent-wise from what you have. I think that pretty much goes with all positions. But I do wonder how is it that Martinez and Banks can't put together some semblance of decent secondary. They haven't shown up for a lot of games, and what few views I get to see on TV, there are some head scratching moments of....WTF was that? One receiver in your zone - - NOT another one coming in or out, just that one, and you give him 10yd cushion? Pass complete, drug for 3 more yards for a first down on 3rd and 25. Yeah, no. Talent sure, but there is some coaching in there somewhere.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Can never pass up on good DBs, especially if they're any improvement talent-wise from what you have. I think that pretty much goes with all positions. But I do wonder how is it that Martinez and Banks can't put together some semblance of decent secondary. They haven't shown up for a lot of games, and what few views I get to see on TV, there are some head scratching moments of....WTF was that? One receiver in your zone - - NOT another one coming in or out, just that one, and you give him 10yd cushion? Pass complete, drug for 3 more yards for a first down on 3rd and 25. Yeah, no. Talent sure, but there is some coaching in there somewhere.

Our DBs has to play off the WRs because they’re too slow in man coverage.

Even Kirby’s smart defense would look bad if he didn’t have any talent to work with.

I’m not here to bash players but yes, Beasley did 100% play with poor effort. If I had time I’d show you the plays. They are referenced in one of these threads somewhere. Maybe you’ll stumble into it yourself. Very poor effort, especially in the red zone. One was one of the laziest plays I’ve ever seen from a LB
What I remember from the game was Beasley chewing people out for not getting after it. I didn't see the plays you're referring to but I stopped watching after Hooker got hurt. I couldn't stomach any of it anymore. I normally rewatch every game but I won't that one.

Even Kirby’s smart defense would look bad if he didn’t have any talent to work with.

When I saw them....they were playing zone. Just asking how you play zone with only one receiver in it and you still give him 10yd cushion. And yes, if they're all that slow, then man isn't in your best interest.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
When I saw them....they were playing zone. Just asking how you play zone with only one receiver in it and you still give him 10yd cushion. And yes, if they're all that slow, then man isn't in your best interest.

Banks likes to play a lot of zone because he knows playing man to man is a death sentence.

A Texas A&M John Chavis defense was better than this crap... and that was pretty bad.

Yes. Thankfully fans don’t make personnel decisions. They just gave these guys raises and extensions a couple months ago. Nobody is going to be fired.

I didn't see Martinez or Banks play the first snap. Pretty simple, that's your guy go cover him. It's a talent issue.

It's nowhere close to being that simple. If it was, there wouldn't be need for Assistant Coach's. It's a Coaching and a talent issue. I've seen good Coach's have average players playing above their talent. Have also seen elite players not get coached up and their talent wasted.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Yes. Thankfully fans don’t make personnel decisions. They just gave these guys raises and extensions a couple months ago. Nobody is going to be fired.

Don't be so sure about that. That's why Assistant Coach's don't get long contracts..I'd be shocked if Martinez is still here next year.

What I remember from the game was Beasley chewing people out for not getting after it. I didn't see the plays you're referring to but I stopped watching after Hooker got hurt. I couldn't stomach any of it anymore. I normally rewatch every game but I won't that one.
I also thought Beasley played better than the rest of the LBs. But, like you I just couldn’t watch any more after Hooker went down.

Reactions: VolSummitt44
I love that defense. A legit 4-2-5 with 3 safeties.

The defense Saturday mailed it in to protest Banks not being allowed to play.

I don't care what's going on internally but it needs fixed immediately!

That is not what happened and doubt the Coach's care that you demand it gets fixed immediately. But damn sure hope they fix it soon. I would hope the players aren't that selfish where they put a stupid fight above playing in the CFP. Our secondary has been torched all season..these are our passing yards numbers this year, Ball St had 269 (they average 228), Pitt 274 ( they average 217), Akron 241( they average 283), Fla had 453 ( They average 230), LSU 300( they average 245), Ala 455 ( they average 272), TN Martin 316 ( they average 267), KY had 98 ( They average 218), Ga 257( they average 298 but didn't throw much in the rainy 2nd half..Bennett had 200 at Halftime, before the rain), Mizzou 217 ( they average 210), S.Car 453( they average 248). That's 3 450+ passing yard games and 8 of the 11 games we gave up way more than what our opponents averaged. If GA had wanted to they could have too..And there was no supposed protest rumors in those other games..These numbers clearly show how bad our Secondary is. We give up 303 passing yards a game. That's #130 out of #131 in the country. Those stats speak for themselves.

We don’t need a dude that promotes himself over everything else. Especially when he isn’t the HC. Race has nothing to do with it.
He can continue his Aflac promo’s with ole Nick as someone else’s problem
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/cc/12/05CB7218-F34F-48E7-AF39-428D4D0E5A50/tmp.gif

When these Freshmen Harrison and Thomas get going and our incoming great class of DB and Safeties get here you will see a major improvement. The cupboard was really bare in the backend of defense no matter how good of a coach you are, you still cant make chicken salad out of chicken poop. We all know the it will get better and when it does watch out the beast will be unleashed go Vols

VN Store

Back