Who is the best DB coach money can buy?

We had K.Steele here and Garner had been coaching under him for several years at Auburn. We'd already paid him a years salary presumably to be HC. Was that a blunder by our AD ? Bare in mind that TJ Durkin left Ole Miss for T A&M and a bunch of 5* talent. It takes both time and talent to develop a good defense. J.Banks anchors our D and his absence Sat. nite had more of an impact on our defense than many realize. He relayed the defensive signals to other players. I feel UT simply didn't have a good back-up signal caller.
Fulmer hired Kevin Steele.

Yeah, i agree, but all of the armchair athletic director's and coaches are well rested and typing @ a high level with one regular season game to go...đź“°

You can pretty much tell who’s never played a game much less a full season of any highly competitive type of team sport at any level, even high school. You don’t need a listed injury to be physically banged up, constantly dog tired and running on dwindling amounts of sheer grit by the end of the season.
Even just slightly overlooking a team based on their past field performances and not digging really deep to put out your own best effort leads to last Saturday night. Pretty sure they all learned a nasty tasting lesson from that one, even those who didn’t travel.

The question could be changed to who are the best DBs money can buy.

If we keep Banks and Martinez then we will need superior talent. I rightly have my doubts about their ability to coach up average talent.
You should have doubts, because you can't actually "coach" players up. That is a common misconception by non-sports guys/gals. They heard an old interview with Spurrier talking about "coaching 'em up", and they ran with it. There are cornerbacks and there are non-corners. Period. Can't fake playing out on an island. We need better players, and we have several coming. Corners and safeties... On offense you can play with wide splits and snap it quick and other gimmicks. On defense, you just line up and physically dominate. If you can. No tricks.

And if we are firing folks, fire them all. The entire defensive coaching staff. They play as a unit. Fire them as one.

Even just slightly overlooking a team based on their past field performances and not digging really deep to put out your own best effort leads to last Saturday night.
And once it starts out going wrong, it usually stays wrong. Just like last Saturday night....

Reactions: DynaLo
You should have doubts, because you can't actually "coach" players up. That is a common misconception by non-sports guys/gals. They heard an old interview with Spurrier talking about "coaching 'em up", and they ran with it. There are cornerbacks and there are non-corners. Period. Can't fake playing out on an island. We need better players, and we have several coming. Corners and safeties... On offense you can play with wide splits and snap it quick and other gimmicks. On defense, you just line up and physically dominate. If you can. No tricks.

And if we are firing folks, fire them all. The entire defensive coaching staff. They play as a unit. Fire them as one.
I disagree. And I’m not a non-sports guy. I played after high school. Anyone that thinks Rodney Garner doesn’t have the ability to “coach up” a defensive lineman is someone that I will not agree with. And I am sure not for firing that man at all.

Now if you meant to use blue font I retract my statement.

This isn’t simply talent. Excuses at this point. Do you think Ga State or Charlotte has more talent on defense than we do? Those defenses looked better than Tennessee.
Got to agree with you. The talent excuse is valid but getting old. Yes we need more talent. And it’s on the way. Need to hit the portal in addition to recruiting. But does Vandy have better corners than UT? They held both Florida and KY to 24 and 21 points respectively. Time to show up Saturday. A loss to Vandy is a huge setback on a great season.

Reactions: Jxn Vol

Agreed. Also if we're firing coaches, be prepared to see half the recruiting class blow up and the defense still sucking this time next year.

Last edited:
The question could be changed to who are the best DBs money can buy.

If we keep Banks and Martinez then we will need superior talent. I rightly have my doubts about their ability to coach up average talent.
I'm still trying to figure out what year Martinez did well at Tennessee. Then when I heard we were getting him back I was extremely disappointed. I remember the eye discipline thing. I also remember our dbs getting torched a lot.

It doesn't matter if you don't have the talent. So far, it appears we may not have the talent.
I remember thinking that about our offense then we make a coaching change and we go from one of the worst offenses in college football to the #1 offense. Our defensive coaches are getting questioned and rightfully so...

I remember thinking that about our offense then we make a coaching change and we go from one of the worst offenses in college football to the #1 offense. Our defensive coaches are getting questioned and rightfully so...
A really good QB made a difference on offense plus we did have really good talent at the WR position. Not so on the defensive side of the ball.

A really good QB made a difference on offense plus we did have really good talent at the WR position. Not so on the defensive side of the ball.
We're all gonna have to sit back and see what Banks can do as he learns to be a defensive coordinator in the toughest conference in America. As for Martinez no thank you. Shouldn't of brought him back to UT. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
We're all gonna have to sit back and see what Banks can do as he learns to be a defensive coordinator in the toughest conference in America. As for Martinez no thank you shouldn't of brought him back to UT. Just my opinion.
We did beat Alabama and Florida with him back there and were ranked #1 in the Nation .
we lost to Georgia , the other #1 ranked team at when we played them. Then we lost to lowly South Carolina and we still do not know how/why it happened. If our players do not play the correct attitude, we may also lose to Vandy. If that happens, we just may see a change or two for the bowl game. It appears, we are read to sign some outstanding defensive players next month..ve to wait and se. If that happens, we may see a few of the starting on defense next Fall. We will just have to wait and see.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
I disagree. And I’m not a non-sports guy. I played after high school. Anyone that thinks Rodney Garner doesn’t have the ability to “coach up” a defensive lineman is someone that I will not agree with. And I am sure not for firing that man at all.

Now if you meant to use blue font I retract my statement.
Teaching technique can't make a player better than he otherwise would be athletically. Or you could "coach up" anyone to be a Randy Moss or Sean Taylor. But of course you can't. You need the raw talent. No blue font sir.

Generally that never happens with a staff change. Honestly if we make a change it will be after ESD.
I don’t really care how they fix it honestly. If they fire these guys then fine. Maybe the replacements will be better overall and recruit better. I just recall the 4 or 5 times we’ve clamored for coaches to be fired over the past 15 years only to have the same discussion 3 years later after little to no improvement on the field. It would be nice to have some stability in the program for once.

VN Store

Back