Who is the best DB coach money can buy?

Oh BS!! I get if they were worn down. They got one damn stop out of ten. The rest were TDs. Carolina is Fing terrible and they showed that all year. Offense, tempo, etc had zero to do with what we saw on defense they were consistently terrible the entire game.
Exactly… the only unit probably worse than TN’s defense as a whole on the field Saturday night was an even worse South Carolina offense across from them. And we made that anemic offense look like world beaters.

Reactions: feathersax
The defense Saturday mailed it in to protest Banks not being allowed to play.

I don't care what's going on internally but it needs fixed immediately!

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Our style of offense means our defense isn't going to be very good. I get that Saturday was a disaster and I'm not saying it was acceptable, but calling for coaches to be fired from a 9-2 team that has overachieved all year is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Face it, South Carolina isn't as bad as we think and they have good players too. Our corners are too slow and they took advantage of that.
Rattler was able to perform because defense put little to no pressure on him. He had time enough in pocket for popcorn and drink . SC was ready to play . We broke golden rule of NEVER EVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE your opponent. Just my opinion. GBO !!! WIN OUT .

Yes, it's a talent issue for sure. I'm just wondering if our schemes could be better. Rattler played out of his mind Saturday, too. That's the guy two years ago at Oklahoma that was a Heisman favorite.

Yes Rattler played outside of his mind. But what alot of folks are not talking about is that SC had thier top 2 RB's out for the game.

So I think SC fell into an offense game plan of having to use the sweep and swig passes that they gutted us with. And with Banks out as well for us it was the perfect storm.

Getting past the talent and scheme issues for a second, it was the piss poor effort out of those guys in the secondary that bothered me the most on Saturday.

There were very few hits or tackles that stood out to me and none by the secondary guys.

They were out their sleep walking and playing 2 hand touch the entire game. Or in the case of Hadden, he was practicing for a spot on the debate team.

Getting a position group fired up to play is 100 percent part of the position coaches job before the game.

Talent excuse is pathetic at this point. Period. Vandy and directional universities are putting better defenses on the field. This wasn’t a good offense we faced. Look at Rattlers QBR all year then look at it versus us.
Exactly Carolina is not loaded with talent on offense, that was a 100% preparedness, scheme and coaching fail.

I’d like to go after Muschamp as DC (co dc at UGA right now) and let him pick his position coaches

LOL. You think there's a ton of difference between the way one guy runs drills and another? You think Martinez is the guy making the play calls or scheming to give huge cushions and leave the flats open?

Martinez isn't a DC. But he has success as a DB coach. Banks prior to being hired at UT had not been a DC by himself. He was the Co-DC at Penn State and apparently not the playcaller.
Absolutely, as a HS/Ms secondary coach we help formulate the game plans and teaching DB technique, reads, communication varies between coaches, small details matter.
Teaching effort focus and accountability is also key.
The punky smack talk after you get repeatedly burned is a red flag vs trying to rally and focus teammates

Agree, There is an old saying in football, “it is not the Xs & Os, it’s the Jimmies and Joes”. If your Jimmies & Joes are better than your opponents’, you’ll likely to win most games.
This works for Alabama & UGA but not vs a Carolina team with at best equivalent talent as Tenn.

Absolutely, as a HS/Ms secondary coach we help formulate the game plans and teaching DB technique, reads, communication varies between coaches, small details matter.
Teaching effort focus and accountability is also key.
The punky smack talk after you get repeatedly burned is a red flag vs trying to rally and focus teammates
On the cushion issue, Bama and UGA have what I think are better splits where they hand off zone coverage, easier (meaning a faster decision) for DBs, narrows the flat/hook/curl areas, but you need solid safety coverage over top

Exactly Carolina is not loaded with talent on offense, that was a 100% preparedness, scheme and coaching fail.

I’d like to go after Muschamp as DC (co dc at UGA right now) and let him pick his position coaches

Cue uga fans telling us how Muschamp would never leave uga for anything because bestest ever and culture and awesomeness in 3........2.........1............

Reactions: feathersax
Cue uga fans telling us how Muschamp would never leave uga for anything because bestest ever and culture and awesomeness in 3........2.........1............

Name one good reason he'd leave.

There are 4 or 5 good reasons for him not to leave where he's at if not specifically to -not- come here.

Oh BS!! I get if they were worn down. They got one damn stop out of ten. The rest were TDs. Carolina is Fing terrible and they showed that all year. Offense, tempo, etc had zero to do with what we saw on defense they were consistently terrible the entire game.
These guys unfortunately just don't look like quality SEC defensive backs. You can't coach speed. What is it exactly that you're expecting a different coach to do? They all call similar plays. Remember how Pruitt was the genius defensive coordinator at Alabama? Guess what he looked like when he got here against the same competition and calling the same plays? Just my opinion but maybe we save some money this time and give these coaches more than two seasons after one of the biggest rebuilding jobs in college football. Go get the same players the top teams want in recruiting or the portal instead. I bet it doesn't cost as much and you'll be raving about what a great job our defensive coaches are doing after higher quality players perform well on the field.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
I guess a fellow Vol has decided to carry uga's water on this.

You're telling me that if Jarrod Mayo left the NFL and came here and was a co-DC of an incredibly talented team helping us compete for national titles he'd leave for a lateral move at Alabama/Florida and take over a much worse roster?

You're delusional.

Reactions: rocytop2624
You're telling me that if Jarrod Mayo left the NFL and came here and was a co-DC of an incredibly talented team helping us compete for national titles he'd leave for a lateral move at Alabama/Florida and take over a much worse roster?

You're delusional.

He is a Co-DC. Would he make a move where he was sole DC, and was offered significantly more money? Absolutely. Has nothing to do with uga or us, it's all about $$$$ and control to these guys.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
what is the average star rating for our defense when they were recruited? not that it means anything but its a data point worth knowing

This works for Alabama & UGA but not vs a Carolina team with at best equivalent talent as Tenn.
They are literally right below us with talent rankings. And it's clear most of our talent lives on offense. What little there is on defense is on the line.

How many of our DBs would play somewhere else? We know at least 3 or 4 of them wouldnt because they transferred to us.

I think Coach Martinez would find a similar job long before our DBs found similar playing spots.

VN Store

Back