Who goes 0-1 to start season Bama or Florida?

That's precisely what I think is strange; the fact that Georgia has played in the The Swamp twice in 80 years. All of Florida's other division opponents play in The Swamp every other year, except for their biggest conference rival, which is played at a "neutral site" (tickets divided 50/50 but much easier for Florida people to get there).

You have thousands and thousands of UGA fans in the southern part of Georgia who access the Jacksonville neutral site just as easy as any Florida fan; folks from Waycross, St Mary's, Brunswick, Jekyll/St Simons Island, Savannah, and others. Plus there are tons of UGA fans in Jacksonville. So it's not true that it's "much easier" for Florida fans.

Florida/Georgia in Jax is a unique part of college football and a great tradition. Similar to the Red River Shootout and the Army/Navy game, the nerutral site vibe makes it unique.

You have thousands and thousands of UGA fans in the southern part of Georgia who access the Jacksonville neutral site just as easy as any Florida fan; folks from Waycross, St Mary's, Brunswick, Jekyll/St Simons Island, Savannah, and others. Plus there are tons of UGA fans in Jacksonville. So it's not true that it's "much easier" for Florida fans.

Florida/Georgia in Jax is a unique part of college football and a great tradition. Similar to the Red River Shootout and the Army/Navy game, the nerutral site vibe makes it unique.

Yeah, but it is just over an hour from Gainesville, and J'ville is definitely Florida territory more than Georgia. Over five hours from Athens. As a neutral in that series, I'd like to see it alternate between Athens and Gainesville just like any other division game.

Yeah, but it is just over an hour from Gainesville, and J'ville is definitely Florida territory more than Georgia. Over five hours from Athens. As a neutral in that series, I'd like to see it alternate between Athens and Gainesville just like any other division game.

And the two schools want to keep the game in Jacksonville.

And the two schools want to keep the game in Jacksonville.

I know, because in their estimation the schools bring in more money by having it at a neutral site every year than alternating between their home stadiums. The City of Jacksonville certainly doesn't want them to leave. But it terms of proximity to the fanbases as a whole, it has to be a more convenient spot for Gators than Dawgs.

I bet the city and surrounding area get more money from Gator fans than Dawg fans during the week. Perhaps not "up at St. Simons and Jekyll Island and all those places where all those Dawg people have got these condominiums for 4 days" though.

I know, because in their estimation the schools bring in more money by having it at a neutral site every year than alternating between their home stadiums. The City of Jacksonville certainly doesn't want them to leave. But it terms of proximity to the fanbases as a whole, it has to be a more convenient spot for Gators than Dawgs.

I bet the city and surrounding area get more money from Gator fans than Dawg fans during the week. Perhaps not "up at St. Simons and Jekyll Island and all those places where all those Dawg people have got these condominiums for 4 days" though.

Generally speaking UF fans don't make a vacation out of game week like UGA fans do.

Growing up I recalled seeing UGA fans hit town first around Wednesday, take over the Landing and other downtown spots for a couple nights before the Gator fans showed up Friday night.

It may have changed since then, but back in the day UGA fans were everywhere.

Florida St plays more OOC competition outside of the State of Florida than you guys do though. Admittedly that's a low bar, but they do. Several times in recent years, in fact, either at a neutral site or on the road.

FSU plays in the ACC, which up until a couple years ago, was among the weakest P5 conferences.

With the emergence of Clemson and Louisville in the ACC's Atlantic Division, I'll gladly give credit where credit is due if FSU continues to schedule tough OOC opponents going forward, in addition to ending the regular season with UF.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back