Whisky, bourbon or scotch and what's your favorite?

I am a simple man born in TN, so my everyday go to whiskey is JD Old No. 7, about $30 for a 1.750L when on sale

For occasions I have two favorite sippers: Strannahan's Blue Peak Single Malt Whiskey which I can get right from the distillery 1.5 miles from my home here in Denver at $37 per .750L, and Balvenie 14 yr Caribbean Cask Single Malt Scotch for just under $80 for a .750

I really don't like peaty scotch so the Balvenie aged in rum barrels hits the sweetness I prefer in my brown water

The best that has ever passed my lips was some Pappy Van Winkle 12 Year Family Reserve that my brother shared with me last time we were together. He has more money than sense

Reactions: Gandalf
I am a simple man born in TN, so my everyday go to whiskey is JD Old No. 7, about $30 for a 1.750L when on sale

For occasions I have two favorite sippers: Strannahan's Blue Peak Single Malt Whiskey which I can get right from the distillery 1.5 miles from my home here in Denver at $37 per .750L, and Balvenie 14 yr Caribbean Cask Single Malt Scotch for just under $80 for a .750

I really don't like peaty scotch so the Balvenie aged in rum barrels hits the sweetness I prefer in my brown water

The best that has ever passed my lips was some Pappy Van Winkle 12 Year Family Reserve that my brother shared with me last time we were together. He has more money than sense

Then you would love Weller for 1/100th the price and especially since pappy is 2 wellers mixed together

Reactions: MadWorld
Gotta agree that 107>12. They are very similar profiles but more heat and punch with 107, which I prefer. The 12 is definitely a smoother drink.

I've got a Full Proof I need to open some time.

If I had to pick one Weller to start with (sub-$100), what would it be?

I'd grab a 107. The 2 easiest to find will be 107 and Special Reserve, but the Reserve isn't worth it IMO. Was completely unimpressed. Anything other than those 2 will be harder to find and more expensive.

what is the config for that Rock Industry 12g? Havent seen one with those mods. Very nice.
That's a stock VR14. Palmetto has them on fire sale for $299 + $100 rebate. I have a folding adapter on the way and will put a brace and light/laser combo on it. PSA also has 9 and 19 round mags marked down to $10. Grab them while you can!

That's a stock VR14. Palmetto has them on fire sale for $299 + $100 rebate. I have a folding adapter on the way and will put a brace and light/laser combo on it. PSA also has 9 and 19 round mags marked down to $10. Grab them while you can!

Thats pretty and a steal. I have to try out a clip shotgun. Right now Ill stick with my shockwave with federal mini buckshots and a crimson trace saddle. If I need more than that, I am in trouble already lol.

Got all excited. Came home last night and there was a bottle of Macallan Classic Cut on the counter. Come to find out my son bought that for his cousin for Xmas. Dang it. Then this morning I saw a receipt for Tennessse Legends. They have a store in cookeville. It was for a bottle of their 4 year bourbon. I’m thinking that one may be mine. Hope it’s decent. I’m not sure how I got that and the 22 year old cousin got Macallan. Kids these days. Lol. He could have got me a bottle of readbreast cheaper than that novelty bourbon.

Reactions: Gandalf
Gotta get one of these.
Artboard-1-1-800x311.png

Reactions: volfaninky and txbo
I'm not averse to trying a good brandy/cognac/armagnac. I've never had a really good one, but i've liked the $20 stuff I tried. This one is a $50 bottle. Delord has a 25 year that's only $75.
1670515119138.png

Reactions: Tin Man
20221208_221727.jpg
Anyone had this? It's a really nice American single malt... would be a great intro to Scotch peat for usual bourbon drinkers. It's quite mild on the smoke.

I really like wheated bourbons. but have yet to try pappy van winkle. anyone here that has?
I am also partial to wheated bourbons. I’d drink a Makers before most any expensive offering. Having said that have you tried Old Elk wheated bourbon?! OMG! Tried some today. Totally changed my mind on bourbons. The best bourbon I have ever had. Maybe best whisky period. That I have tried. I didn’t think any whiskey could be termed smooth, but this one is velvet. And has that good sweet side of being wheated. It’s a $75 bottle and worth the expense.
Also had some Broken Barrel Stout Cask. Superb. Hits creamy smooth like a stout then bourbons up in a good smooth way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2EastTnVols

VN Store

Back