Whisky, bourbon or scotch and what's your favorite?

I started buying Blantons when it was $35 a pop and it was the go to sipper before burbons were "a thing". I have several bottles that are in the cabinet that are at least 7 years old. For some who are looking for a cheaper version, Buffalo Trace Bourbon will get you nearly there. In fact, BT has a fantastic Bourbon Cream that goes great as a dollup in Kaluha for a maduro cigar

A few other items that I have found tasty are
Sherry Cask Single Malt Whiskey - Stranahan's
The Balcones Texas Single Malt is a treat as well - most especially if you find one from the Chip Tate era.
Home - Chattanooga Whiskey - the bottled in bond from 2018 is quite nice.

Buffalo Trace is getting harder to find. My store had 2 bottles last week, and I bought one. Used to have an entire display at the entrance. Their entire collection is short this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf
Buffalo Trace is getting harder to find. My store had 2 bottles last week, and I bought one. Used to have an entire display at the entrance. Theit entire collection is short this year.

With the Weller 12 advertisement in Yellowstone, BT products are about to become extinct unless you know a guy

Got SR, 107, 12, EC 18 year, stagg, and all sorts of toasted barrels as they are my favorite.

Attachments

• A1A6B95F-626A-4A0A-BCBF-D4E71E286A89.jpeg
    A1A6B95F-626A-4A0A-BCBF-D4E71E286A89.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
I had a connection in middle tennessee a couple years ago and was able to get it readily at c. $85. I wish I could have bought a couple of cases, then. The only times I have seen it in a store since, the price was jacked to $250 (duty free shop in DR and I think the campus liquor store).

Blantan's or Macallan? You can still get the Macallan 12 (maybe it was 14) at a local store here in Cookeville for $100. I've not had the pleasure. My nephews boss gifted him a Macallan 12 for the holidays last year. I got him that job. He lives 1/2 mile down the road. He said it was best whisky he's ever drank and he puts down alot. I never got a sip. Go figure.

I love bourbon tastes and hearing others. Jefferson’s oceans is terrible and extremely gimmicky just as Ingams is. But that’s what makes it great! To each his own!

You might think Ocean is just a gimmick but not so IMHO.

As many of you know, pure spirt has almost no flavor at all. Almost all of the taste comes from the barrel. Each season the subtle changes in temperature, first hot then cold draw the spirit into the charred wood and back out again.

Now in Scotland, it requires a long time to really get that because the seasons dont change much and the winters are not really cold nor the summers hot (almost no one in Scotland has an air conditioner).

What some enterprising American whiskey makers figured out though is that but aging them in more extreme climates (like Texas), the cycles are more intense and thus can be sped up. Even better, because of that, they began to play with the flavor profiles by aging them a few years in oak barrels, a few years in cherry wood, etc - even finishing them in barrels that previously aged madeira or sherry wine, for example.

Traditionally, they stayed in a single barrel for the whole time and a "Nose" taster would come around to determine when was the best time to bottle it for that batch.

So, the interesting thing about Ocean is though I think it stays in a single barrel, the whiskey in it moves around as the ocean rolls and it has much greater changes in air pressure and thus gets more of the flavor from the barrel in a shorter time. Thats why a 4 year aging process can make it as oaky and relatively smooth as a older scotch.

Granted, most younger whiskeys like this still havent lost much angels share and still have a higher ABV so then they are watered down (just like scotch) with distilled water to the desired proof. That is also why its easier to find American ones at cask strength with over 100proof.

As many of you know, pure spirt has almost no flavor at all. Almost all of the taste comes from the barrel. Each season the subtle changes in temperature, first hot then cold draw the spirit into the charred wood and back out again.

Now in Scotland, it requires a long time to really get that because the seasons dont change much and the winters are not really cold nor the summers hot (almost no one in Scotland has an air conditioner).

What some enterprising American whiskey makers figured out though is that but aging them in more extreme climates (like Texas), the cycles are more intense and thus can be sped up. Even better, because of that, they began to play with the flavor profiles by aging them a few years in oak barrels, a few years in cherry wood, etc - even finishing them in barrels that previously aged madeira or sherry wine, for example.

Traditionally, they stayed in a single barrel for the whole time and a "Nose" taster would come around to determine when was the best time to bottle it for that batch.

So, the interesting thing about Ocean is though I think it stays in a single barrel, the whiskey in it moves around as the ocean rolls and it has much greater changes in air pressure and thus gets more of the flavor from the barrel in a shorter time. Thats why a 4 year aging process can make it as oaky and relatively smooth as a older scotch.

Granted, most younger whiskeys like this still havent lost much angels share and still have a higher ABV so then they are watered down (just like scotch) with distilled water to the desired proof. That is also why it’s easier to find American ones at cask strength with over 100proof.
All the history of liquor, which most already knew, just to say you like Jefferson’s Ocean?

Granted, most younger whiskeys like this still havent lost much angels share and still have a higher ABV so then they are watered down (just like scotch) with distilled water to the desired proof. That is also why its easier to find American ones at cask strength with over 100proof.

We did a tour of Kentucky Artisan Distillery, the contract distiller that produces 90% of Jefferson’s distillate (although I think Jefferson’s moved the majority of production to Bardstown Bourbon Company now, but I digress,) and they pulled out a bottle that was aged for several years at sea and it was pitch black and supposedly tasted awful, we didn’t get to try it since it was just part of the tour.

Anyway, just goes back to your point about how as the boat rocks, the “aging” process increases dramatically. Some people claim they can taste a difference in the different voyages due to the unique port stops, but I think most of that is just mental.

Last edited:
Reminds me, although I don't drink a lot of beer these days, Anchor Brewing's annual Christmas brew is out now and it's usually something good, although I haven't had this year's yet.

Please forgive the heresy here in the whisky thread.

Good call, I need to look for some of that.

I used to be super into beer but stopped in an effort to lose weight…not that replacing beer with whiskey really helped though.

Reactions: pismonque

VN Store

Back