Whisky, bourbon or scotch and what's your favorite?

BTW any Irish Whiskey fans out there this is the find of 2021. Busker has replaced Jameson as my daily drinker, Wine Enthusiast scored it an insane 94.... and its under 30 bucks.

View attachment 422779
I had other things I was trying, and this looked alot like Tullamore Dew to me, so I've often passed on it. I do like Tullamore and Jameson for affordable daily drinkers.

But, I finally bought a bottle of this the other day, and I gotta say, for a $24 bottle of blend it is very good. It'll probably replace my Tullamore and Proper 12.

Incidently, if you look just a few posts up, I posted a pic of Aerstone Sea Cask 10 yr single malt scotch. $28 at my local store. Outstanding Single Malt for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the more popular brands. Aerstone also has a Land Cask offering that is pretty peated, but that's not for me.

Do you like peaty scotches? In the $100 range, Lagavulin 16 and Talisker 10. Laphroag 10 is also good.

For non-peat, GlenDronach 12 is really good.
I think I’ve maybe had one scotch. Dewars? I don’t know, talk to me like I’m 5. Well maybe like I just turned 21.

I think I’ve maybe had one scotch. Dewars? I don’t know, talk to me like I’m 5. Well maybe like I just turned 21.

Non peat would be a safe bet. Maybe if you are at a restaurant you could try a Peaty one without having to buy a bottle.

I am a big fan of Peaty scotches and that is the style I typically drink, but it is not for everyone. Think drinking a campfire, and that is what it tastes like.

Non peat would be a safe bet. Maybe if you are at a restaurant you could try a Peaty one without having to buy a bottle.

I am a big fan of Peaty scotches and that is the style I typically drink, but it is not for everyone. Think drinking a campfire, and that is what it tastes like.
When one starts thinking of single barrel scotch, what is the entry price range? Just curious.

When one starts thinking of single barrel scotch, what is the entry price range? Just curious.

Everything that has been suggested is a single malt. You don't have to spend a fortune.

Why did you choose Scott as your drink of choice?

Everything that has been suggested is a single malt. You don't have to spend a fortune.

Why did you choose Scott as your drink of choice?
Honestly, I drank a crap ton of cheap bourbon in high school and thought it would be nice to start in a different direction, just to trick my brain. My father in law usually brings Dewars to family dinners and I like it. He is going to buy a bottle of my suggestion for Thanksgiving so Im just kinda learning on the fly here.

Honestly, I drank a crap ton of cheap bourbon in high school and thought it would be nice to start in a different direction, just to trick my brain. My father in law usually brings Dewars to family dinners and I like it. He is going to buy a bottle of my suggestion for Thanksgiving so Im just kinda learning on the fly here.
That makes sense. Enjoy discovering new tastes.

If you are getting a bottle for family Thanksgiving, go with this:
https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/s...ruban-14-year/p/220061750?s=2001&igrules=true

While I absolutely love peaty, medicinal scotch like Laphroiag and Lagavulin, it is very polarizing and some of your family (and maybe even you) will hate it.

Reactions: orange parmejohn
How did this one first come onto your radar?

Honestly, I got it from someone who wanted to try scotch and didn’t like it, so they gave it to me to try and I really enjoyed it and went down the scotch rabbit hole. I really enjoy the more peaty scotch’s, but no way I could’ve went straight into something like that. I’ll echo the campfire taste, it’s definitely acquired

Unfortunately, I live in Louisville which is a scotch desert since it will never be able to compete with bourbon.

VN Store

Back