Which system would you like to see at UT?

Just a little off-season fun...

If you had to choose a system for Tennessee to run, what would it be and why? Preferably, something we haven't ran here.

I'm torn between an Air Raid and the Triple Option. I honestly believe those two systems with SEC caliber players would shake up the SEC for a couple of years. I think the triple option would be super hard to beat with SEC talent. GT usually has a decent football team and opposing defenses know their philosophy but still have a tough time defending them. I know these offenses don't attract the nation's top talents but now you see Oklahoma using a varied version of the Air Raid to major success...and we know recruits have noticed.

This is not me saying Pruitt should've went a different way because I'm extremely happy he went out and got JC.

What system would you choose?
Pound the rock... period!

I say stick to what we're built for which is a spread. But here's the problem I see. We are mixed. Which goes back to Butchs lack of properly evaluating even for his own system.

-OL is decent at pass blocking, awful at run blocking. (Spread)
- JG seems like he would be most effective in a smash mouth/play action system (pro style)
- WRs are all posession type recievers. Stronger than fast. ( pro style)
- RBs are good for either but would be better in space. (Spread)
- TEs look to be balanced. (Either or)

With no push from the o line it's hard to run. Especially from tight formations. Which eliminates the pro style offense, Veer and others. Idk.... maybe we go air raid and put another WR on the field. That'll spread the def enough we may be able to run some from a single back set. But wont solve the problem of not being able to get deep until we find a receiver with real speed. So this is a tough question. I really don't know. I just want to win and playing to tight doesn't suit us well right now. Obviously.

the idea of "system" is kind of an archaic way of thinking in today's football. sure, there's teams/coaches that still run "systems" like the option or an air raid/spread or whatever...but most offenses today are just built around concepts, and using personnel with various concepts to create mismatches.

where style or system starts to matter is on the offensive line...are you a zone blocking scheme, power scheme, combinatio of both? and those styles really do need to match the personnel. zone blocking schemes, you're not looking for maulers, you're loking for more athletic big guys than big powerful guys with good feet.

to me, the offensive line system you employ is more important than any "offensive system". besides, in a lot of cases, your offensive line will probably dictate what type of style/concepts/system you're going to run anyway, until you get the personnel you want up front to actually do what you want.

This man is a genius. It’s all about the uglies. The rest of you are only on our field because we allow it.

Sorry, I was 18 again for just a minute.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
It kinda breaks down to 3 things... (usually if you are stuck on a system you are behind)
1.) short game... which comes down to Offensive line and run/pass philosophy... you either are a pound the rock guy or a screen game guy... a lot depends on talent.
2.) intermediate... what kind of concepts are you running on offense... and two things dictate that, what is your QB/WR good at and understands and what kind of defensive schemes do you run.
3.) special teams/ defense... believe it or not this will dictate how aggressive you will be and your decision making process.

Also, if you want systems that would be on the defensive side of the ball because you have all these “concepts” and FYI EVERY OFFENSE in the country will take from all sorts of systems.. systems will die out but there are always 2-3 really good concepts that stay from it.

Defense has to take into account all these 1,000 of concepts so they make systems to have answers to all these problems because you don’t “make plays” on defense outside of blitz packages, so you have to react to all the concepts you will face in a year, it’s easier to have a baseline of answers for “group” offensive problems.

I’m nowhere near expert on these things but I do not a tiny bit... hope that makes sense.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
I'd like to see 11 players from the 2nd team come out and perfectly execute the triple option just as the opposing defense is getting comfortable. Then later on bring in the 3rd team to do some trick plays.

Keep the defenders on their heals and give the non-starters some playing time. Win-Win if you ask me!

If you had to choose a system for Tennessee to run, what would it be and why? Preferably, something we haven't ran here.

I'm torn between an Air Raid and the Triple Option. I honestly believe those two systems with SEC caliber players would shake up the SEC for a couple of years. I think the triple option would be super hard to beat with SEC talent. GT usually has a decent football team and opposing defenses know their philosophy but still have a tough time defending them. I know these offenses don't attract the nation's top talents but now you see Oklahoma using a varied version of the Air Raid to major success...and we know recruits have noticed.

This is not me saying Pruitt should've went a different way because I'm extremely happy he went out and got JC.

The exact system the coach picked. I'm old school one should never question the Head ball coach.

Kendall Briles offense (veer and shoot)

Jeremy Pruitt defense

So close.

Comment 1: Air Raid with the current team we have would work ONLY if the OL can protect the QB. Since they haven't proven they, forget it.

Comment 2: Triple Option, given our current personnel, and despite the inherent dangers of such a system, it MIGHT be our best option to win more games. Personally, I've wondered what would happen if we mixed whatever system we run with 1-2 quarters the old Wishbone attack. We do have dangerous RBs, and at least one of the Freshmen QBs can run. JG might be able to be more productive in this case as he'd not be a statue to be torn down by defensive lines.

Comment 3: None of us know the players as well as the coaches so, should butt out presuming to know what system is best for the team. Rather let the coaches do their job. and not get into another HC search and pushing UT football back into the red. Then ending up with Colgate University level football teams, and be the laughingstock of not only the SEC but the nation.

As long as we go under center on the 1, I'm fine with any system this staff wants to run.

Reactions: Devo182
It’s already been tried in the SEC when he was Hal Mumme’s OC at Kentucky. They didn’t win anything, and that was with Tim Couch at qb.

I’d be willing to take the risk if things don’t work out with Pruitt. Leach has successfully taken Texas Tech and Washington State out of cellar dweller status. He’d need top notch recruiting coaches though because he doesn’t care much for that aspect.

Reactions: Devo182

If you had to choose a system for Tennessee to run, what would it be and why?

A winning one of course and to me that means an O that can run the ball consistently and with power...misdirection is nice but I like an O that can line up and punch people in the mouth to get tough yards...it's part of the bigger strategy of punishing your opponent on both side of the ball. I want to se a team that is very physical on every play and just kills the will of most opponents...
As for specifics, I like running out of the I formation with a pro style QB but one who is mobile and can burn a D if they don't contain him (Tee Martin) but is first and foremost a passing QB. I don't want an option QB who is more of a runner than passer...you have to be able to pass when the D stuffs 8 or 9 men up front...on D. I like a 3-4 D but we had better recruit well to be able to get there...it takes a special set of players to control the line and all the LBs get to the QB quickly and if you can't do that the best DBs in the world can't save you...

The winning one.

Frankly, the concept is filled with potholes.

The "system" should be built around the roster and vice versa. Botch Jones forced his vaunted system onto a roster ill suited for it. Recruit the top players and put them in a position to succeed. THAT is the system for success.

GO BIG ORANGE!
I disagree. This isn't the NFL. You can have whatever kind of roster you want, assuming you can recruit them. That means you get to pick the system.

Recruiting random players with vastly different strengths and then trying to make a system around that is just counterproductive.

It's also a cop out statement. It's basically like saying "Why pick one thing when you can just be the best at everything." Sure.

I love the triple option , but you are not going to recruit NFL offensive hopefuls to run a triple option. I agree with many posters in that match up football where you use your players skill set optimally. When you look back at the Al Sounders system that Cut employed , especially when it was ran by Manning or the Fun and Gun ...you are seeing pro-styled systems that could do virtually anything they wanted. You want to line up 4 wide and sling it around ? You could . You want to go max protect and pound it ? you could . You want to run a balanced offense or feature a short passing game , you could . The thing is , the pro set system is athlete based so you have to have the horses , but you can then do what the defense can't stop.

When you look at a 'system' , they tend to fail when the other team has the counter. When Oregon played LSU a few years ago , LSU could hold the gaps when 4 guys , the LBs could drop and read the pass and respond to the QB run , and there was not a receiver on the field they could not cover. The system failed.

Power I. Execute it well and you can win "pretty" or "ugly".

If not that... then something else with power, downhill running as a key component. Jones showed me enough "finesse" to last the rest of my life.

Nailed it IMO!

Yes & Yes!

I want something new. I love roster turnover because we get to meet so many new faces of coaches and players. I love rebuilding even more because of the endless hope of something beautiful coming in 2-3 years. It warms my soul to think about it!
giphy.gif
tenor.gif

I just want tough, smash mouth football that sets up down field, play action passing.
Ah, a fellow fan of the Madden system. A steady dose of Mark Van Eeghen, and play action, downfield to Branch, Casper and Biletnikoff (Did I spell that right?). I used to love to listen to Madden poke fun at the West Coast Offense, and all the short passes.
Personally, I loved what David Cutcliffe did offensively. He loaded up his o-line with big, nasty, evil men. His TE's were very versatile, blocking and receiving. A great mix of receivers. Some big, some fast, some athletic, and some were all three. His RB's ran hard, physical, and were relentless. Most were capable of taking it to the house, on any defense. His FB's (Amsler, Poles, Mose Phillips) were big, physical, nasty, versatile, and athletic. At last, his QB's were smart, tough, confident in, and committed to the system. With an attitude of "We will break you".
It was a very balanced attack, that could destroy defenses methodically, or immediately. You just had to pick your poison. Make them drive the length of the field, and hope that penalties, mistakes a turnover, or a missed FG by Greg Burke, saved your ass.

VN Store

Back